Apple eMac dead?

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
Hi all, i'm not sure if anyone will be able to help me but i guess its worth asking.

I have an Apple eMac which was gifted to me on Friday via my local freecycle. It's basically a CRT monitor with a mac in the back of it.

Well yesterday the HDD clunked and the machine froze. When i restarted it, the operating system wasn't found.

Ok so today i set about the task of replacing the HDD following Apple's own dissasembly guide.

I managed to locate the HDD and while exchanging the dead one for a new one i heard a loud hissing sound like gas escaping.

I pinpointed the hissing to a small round "can" at the back of the monitor (see pic below).

It stopped after a few seconds and i thought no more of it and proceeded to swap out the HDD.

I've now reassembled the machine and upon pressing the power button i can hear the machine starting (fans and the post sound) but the screen remains black.

Is my eMac Dead?

Mike

eMac.jpg

Mike

The bad news my friend is that the Tube is dead.

That hissing sound is the rush of air entering the vacuum inside the tube due to cracking the glass at the base of the tube....

So easily done ....

TC :blink:

Thanks for the reply TC, the annoying thing is i don't understand how it happened as the machine was screen down on a thick blanket (so not to scratch it) and i was nowhere near it when it started hissing.

Guess i'm on the lookout for an Emac with a faulty logic board then.

Mike

Have this Mac a video out?

If so, just plug it to another monitor while you wait for a proper tube replacement. :)

Back
Top Bottom