PDA

View Full Version : PC hangs when CD inserted into one of my DVD drives

Firthy2002
9th November 2009, 16:48
So I have a desktop PC with 2 DVD burners. One is an ATA drive on the only ATA interface my motherboard has. It is configured as slave and shares the cable with my primary hard drive configured as master. Using an 80 wire cable as you'd expect. It runs LiveCDs no problem.

The other is a SATA drive on the second SATA port.

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3.

If I put a CD in the ATA burner, the system will hang and the display will change to a weird pattern. It will not respond to any input and I have to hit the reset button on the front panel.

If I do the same with the SATA drive, it works fine and I can access the disc no problem.

I've had a look on Google but can't find a solution. I tried running Autofix thinking it could be an Autoplay issue but that didn't make any difference.

Has anyone encountered this problem? The fact that it only happens with one of the drives has got me stumped.

Powerpie5000
9th November 2009, 16:56
So I have a desktop PC with 2 DVD burners. One is an ATA drive on the only ATA interface my motherboard has. It is configured as slave and shares the cable with my primary hard drive configured as master. Using an 80 wire cable as you'd expect. It runs LiveCDs no problem.

The other is a SATA drive on the second SATA port.

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3.

If I put a CD in the ATA burner, the system will hang and the display will change to a weird pattern. It will not respond to any input and I have to hit the reset button on the front panel.

If I do the same with the SATA drive, it works fine and I can access the disc no problem.

I've had a look on Google but can't find a solution. I tried running Autofix thinking it could be an Autoplay issue but that didn't make any difference.

Has anyone encountered this problem? The fact that it only happens with one of the drives has got me stumped.

It could be the hard drive/DVD burner combo not playing nice with eachother on the same cable/IDE interface? I personally would not have a master/slave IDE combination on a recent machine... You may be better off getting a large SATA hard drive :nod: (Is it a Jmicron IDE interface by any chance? I've always had issues with them in the past!).

Firthy2002
9th November 2009, 17:13
It could be the hard drive/DVD burner combo not playing nice with eachother on the same cable/IDE interface? I personally would not have a master/slave IDE combination on a recent machine... You may be better off getting a large SATA hard drive :nod: (Is it a Jmicron IDE interface by any chance? I've always had issues with them in the past!).

Well I have 3 hard drives already, the ATA one and 2 SATA ones. And I just bought a SATA one to replace an ATA one that reached the end of it's life. So the kitty is pretty empty right now. :cry:

I think it might be a Jmicron interface actually.

Kin Hell
9th November 2009, 17:27
It's impossible for there to be a conflict on SATA headers as there is only ever one serial device per header.

In the Bios, you should have an option where you can set the SATA headers to Enhanced or compatible mode. This is probably where you will find the solution. ;)
Another thing worth noting is that some SATA makes/chipset controllers don't support certain SATA DVDROM's & this depends entirely on how old the Mobo is & what make of DVDROM you are using.

Another loose cannon shot is that you have the relevant drivers for your Mobo, but then EVGA had an issues with thier 780i SLI board & certain brands of DVDROM. Everytime you pressed the eject button, instant BSOD. EVGA left it like that for 6 months before they addressed the matter! :roll:

Some ATA 133 compatible headers will not work correctly unless you set DMA Busmastering, again, another option in the bios.

Kin

Firthy2002
9th November 2009, 18:28
Some ATA 133 compatible headers will not work correctly unless you set DMA Busmastering, again, another option in the bios.

Kin
I saw some option relating to that in my BIOS but I left it alone as I wasn't sure what it did.

Kin Hell
9th November 2009, 18:33
Bus Mastering is something that should always be enabled. It's particulary useful for Legacy devices functioning correctly. ;)

Also, before you change the option in the Bios, Remove the DVDROM Device from Device Manager before re-booting to change the Bios option.

Good luck m8y,

Kin

Firthy2002
10th November 2009, 12:28
The plot thickens...

The bus mastering option was already set to Enabled, so I left it as it was.

I decided to try booting into Safe Mode to see if the problem occurred when in Safe Mode. I put a CD-ROM in and...it worked fine. No crash or BSOD.

So it would appear that something in Windows doesn't like it when a disc is put in the HP drive. But why is the other drive unaffected?

Powerpie5000
10th November 2009, 12:55
Try downloading and re-installing your motherboard chipset drivers. If the IDE controller uses a seperate chipset (such as Jmicron or Promise) then download the latest drivers for that too... It's probably better to get those from your motherboard manufacturers website :nod:

Harrison
10th November 2009, 17:28
If reinstalling the motherboard chipset drivers doesn't work then it might be your power supply. I instantly thought of this when reading your original post because you said the display got messed up when the system crashed.

It might not reproduce the same results from safe mode because the PSU isn't powering the graphics card as much.

Kin Hell
10th November 2009, 20:38
@ Harrison

Damned good call kiddo. :thumbsup:

Kin

jvdbossc
12th November 2009, 11:21
I had similar problems, on different configs.

It was a faulty cable.

It did also work sometimes, sometimes not

On some configs you have the option to put it in a slower ata mode (bios or xp)

arnljot
12th November 2009, 15:23
I have the ASUS Rampage II Gene card with that filthy JMicron controller.

It was set as IDE mode in BIOS, and not "ADHD" or "AHCPI" or whatever itīs called. Itīs only got two settings. "Right" and "Wrong" it should be called in BIOS, where wrong is "IDE"

When set to IDE and the JMicron drivers got installed. My machine had the EXACT same symptoms as yours do have.

The whole thing just freezes and nothing happens. Well the GUI is responsive for a while, but if it depends on some IO, itīll freeze too.

So the other day my CDROM stopped working, and it turns out the JMicron drivers had made it back onto my machine. After a quite painfull unistall of the drivers earlier. When in IDE mode, the machine will be just fine if the JMicron drivers stay well clear of it.

So when everything stopped again yesterday because the driver was back, I cursed and spit and desided to fix it once and for all.

This is how I did it:

1) Go into BIOS and set the JMicron controller to the "Right" setting, that is the one which is not IDE. But ADHD or AHCPIOU-or-whatever
2)Boot the machine

This step will take ages. Weīre talking 10 to 30 minutes. The event log of your operating system will be full of JMicron timeouts and SATA timeouts. For moments your system will seem fine after boot, but then suddenly itīll hang for a minute or three before it resumes normal operation again.

3) By the love of god, install the crappy JMicron drivers, other SATA drivers and if possible chipset drivers

This might have to be done in two turns, at least I had to before the JMicrons would take.

But after this your back to easy street, and you can stress your disks, system and cpu as much as you want and youīre back to the sub 30s boot time.

This is what did it for me. And from the way you describe your systems behaviour, itīs the same problem I had. Just do a search, and youīll see I posted CDROM problems a bit earlier ;-)

They are now gone for good. Fingers crossed. Knock on wood.

Kin Hell
12th November 2009, 21:09
...and after that fine example by Arnljot, another option is to go buy another mobo without the JMicron affair on it. :mrgreen:

Kin

Merlin
12th November 2009, 22:09
Two words; Cable Select....??

Just a thought, seeing as nobody had mentioned it.

Kin Hell
13th November 2009, 20:24
Two words; Cable Select....??

Just a thought, seeing as nobody had mentioned it.

Only if the Jumper is set so, - on the hard drive/s. ;)

Kin