Parallel Port Zip SCSI interface Q:

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
OK, I picked up a Zip250 at Goodwill for $3. (Not sure why, but it was $3. :)

Got me thinking and I went searching.
There is a driver for a parallel port ZIP drive for the Amiga!
You canNOT just plug it into the parallel port or you'll fry a CIA chip or 2 from what I hear.

But you can build a cable that goes from the ZIP to the Amiga parallel and joystick port 2.

The latest version of the driver supports SCSI direct through this.

However, it will only work with the Zip 100. In fact, even the Zip 100 Plus won't work. IOmega changed chipsets after the Zip 100.

I'm guessing I can find a Zip 100 around pretty cheap tho...

So I think I'll give that a try.

But I was thinking, if it supports SCSI direct and will let you use the Amiga SCSI HDToolbox, etc... could you take the Zip 100 apart and use the interface without the ZIP drive? Perhaps even with a SCSI-IDE and IDE-CF adapter?

I know there was something called the "click of death" that killed a lot of ZIPs, but if I could just use the interface, might be a fun option.

Yes, it's all the beauty of SCSI, but will all the CPU overhead of IDE and all the speed of the parallel port. What could be better? :nuts::nuts::nuts:

I'm mostly looking at this because my A520-S-video mod isn't working. :|

Oh well..

desiv

p.s. You can look at my posts as test messages for the new software and ignore them as I should... :)

Supporting SCSI direct is one thing m8, but once you hit the Parallel port & the mouse/joystick port, you're gunno be killing your CPU because those ports are not controlled in the same manner. Add to that, the Amiga's poor Parallel port speed & you'll be waiting for paint to dry in less time.

Just get yourself a DMA compliant SCSI card & watch your Amiga fly for it. It'll be a lot less scary but then for only 3 bucks, I guess you could fry it just for the crack. :jester: ;)

Kin

Sorry for the dust for undigging this thread but i got a Iomega zip 100 (parallel) and as much i browsed through Google (as the op states) you CAN'T just plug it on the Amiga's parallel port so i ebayed a little bit to..:)stick:) and i found this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Iomega-Jaz-Trav...aultDomain_0&hash=item19b7e663ee#ht_668wt_913

Can you tell me, if anyone knows, if this will work on an oktagon or any other ide interface? (Both Zorro II & Zorro III)

@status: Err, "Drivers are available on Iomega's wesite" which means this is something obviously required.... I doubt they're talking about Amiga drivers. :)

@Status: internet is your friend, you know?

This link is in Brazilian portuguese, but the images are pretty self-explanatory. :)

@Status: internet is your friend, you know?

This link is in Brazilian portuguese, but the images are pretty self-explanatory. :)

I know, Obrigado (for any mistakes, blame google translate:p) but my searches where limited in the english language and not portuguese.

Back
Top Bottom