How to convert VOB to 10 minute youtube snips?

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Okay.

I've googled, but it didn't work out for me.

I did step one as suggested by one tutorial out there and used DVD Decrypter to rip some video davideo provided me into one massive huge VOB file of almost 4GB.

The source is VHS which I provided him with. So it defenitivly can do with some compression.

I tried using AutoGK to make it into a xvid.

I tried using VLC to convert it into a MPEG2/MP3 or an MPEG4/ACC, but both approaches failed. Also VLC is 1x speed...

I tried using VirtualDub, but the 64bit version won't load the file, saying it doesn't recognize the mpeg2 format.

So what should I do, and what filters can I use in VirtualDub or similar tool to get the resulting video file chopped up into suitable 10 minute snips. This last step should preferably be automated in some way, batch wise or other.

These were huge files once captured - sorry I can't remember the actual size although I think I said in the original posting - and have been compressed to fit onto the DVDs.

Another way to make them smaller in file size is to reduce the resolution.

Dave G :cool:

@ arnljot

Get hold of TMPGENC DVD Author from Pegasys; this will allow you to import the VOB file and create chapters. This program would be my weapon of choice for this task.

@MagerValp

Does the name mean the same in Sweedish as in Norwegian?

To help out our scandinavian-challenged friends who don't read or speak our beautifull language, "mager valp" means "skinny puppy" in Norwegian.

Also, thanks for the handbrake tip, it's awesome software.

@Merlin
Nor sure I understand how to read your post? :)

Ah well. I'm not sure now that what I recommended would have worked. If handbrake has worked out for you, then it's all OK.

Okay Merlin.

Well, I'm almost there. I get the video from Handbrake to VirtualDub.

And with virtualDub I can manually chop the video up in 10 minute clips.

But I know virtualdub can do batches. And I know it has a vast ocean of filters. (ocean of filters? Well...) But I can't find a way to automate the process, to have VirtualDub chop up my 58 minute video into 5x10 minutes and one 8 minute clip.

It's way to tedious to cut, export, cut, export, cut, export, cut, export, cut, export, cut and finally export. And that's just one video, then I have to do the next one. It should be possible to automate.

Also, I found another great piece of software:
http://mc.broadintel.com/index.htm MediaCoder. It's free, but a bit wierd UI-wise.

MediaCoder can split file up into 10 minute parts automatically.

Well, supposedly - when I try the encoder module "unexpectedly terminated". But it seems it's an known issue which they are working on.

Well, the job is done for now. You find the result of the first tutorial here:

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=2474&page=5

Last edited:
Interesting to read beginners approaches to video formats and conversion.

Did you know that you can normally just rename VOB files to .mp2, .mpg or .mpej (depending on how your system is setup) and the file will then run perfectly well on any software that supports MPEG 2 files.

Yes I knew that. But my objective was also to reencode the video (transcode it) to save space 4GB to 400MB, and then split it into 10minute chunks.

I know plenty of "buy ware" which can do this, and I see now that I wasn't precise in my initial post, but I wanted free ware tools for the job.

Back
Top Bottom