How do I: Format a 4GB Disk?

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
So, my A2000 now has Kickstart 3.1 ROM and a custom WB3.1 boot floppy that has HDInstTools and CD-ROM drivers on it. I STILL get "Disk not validated" errors when I try to format the 4GB partition. I thought AmigaOS 3.1+ was supposed to support bigger disks. Or is it an FFS limitation? How do you lot partition up your mega hard disks on your miggies? :)

I think that you thought wrong. AmigaOS 3.1 can see no more than 4GB disks. You have to use AmigaOS 3.5 or 3.9 to see bigger partitions.

And please try SFS, it's far more better. At least, you will not get any validations in the future.

OS3.1 could use drives bigger drives than 4GB, but not with FFS, and for the internal ide it needed td64 patch or what ever it was called.

Later with OS3.5 and 3.9 there was a new nsd patch for scsi device which the ide device is ironically called.

The disk I'm using is just over 4GB. I'd be quite happy to partition it to 4095MB, but I can't even manage that. What do I need on a boot disk to provide enough support for 4GB FFS partitions? Alternatively, how do I go about getting/using SFS?

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

OK, I think I've sussed it. Needed to increase the block size to 2048. Now I've got a 4GB partition!

try partioning to 3.5gig or 3.8gig first
wb3.0/3.1 should let you do that if not you got other problems

then you can move on to patching the system to see bigger hd`s

or better try SFS when you can

Don't try partitions over 2Gb each! Better use a small boot partition (100~180Mb is simply too much for the System itself), then a Work: partition of 1Gb (maximum, you don't need this amount for Amiga programs, except if running "virtual" partitions (hardfiles, in truth) for PC-Task or ShapeShifter.

Then split the leftover for Games and other files. A bit less than 2Gb just for games may be enough.

BTW: again, SFS don't run on plain 68000 CPU, it requires a 020 processor or better.

rkauer has right. Your Workbench partition must not exceed 1GB in my opinion. You will never need such space either. Try 500MB, or you will have problems in the future in some installations.

By installations, take for example, the Digita International Office CD, which comes with 4 programs. If you use the installer to install them and your partitions are over 4GB, even you have space, it will say "insufficient space"! :roll:

I wrote a guide on how to install larger HDDs here. Plus one for setting up SFS here (based on a guide originally by Killergorilla).

As mentioned you need a 68020 or better CPU to use SFS filesystem.

I also recommend you use HDInstTool instead of HDToolBox as it is easier to use, and supports HDD's larger than 4GB and displays the partition sizes correctly.

Of course, there are some options for use instead SFS: AFS (Amiga File Safe) and PFS (Professional File System) version 2.

PFS3 will not run on plain 68000, IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom