PDA

View Full Version : Found Cheap but responsive tablet for PDF reading and web surfing

AmiNeo
27th October 2012, 18:53
Hey guys, trying my best not to spend too much with planning on moving in about 7 months time, but could really do with a tablet as a portable study aid.

If I wasn't watching my spends I would likely go for a Galaxy tab or a nexus but can't afford to blow more than I need to.

If anyone can offer me one, preferably an android tablet, I'd really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

tokyoracer
27th October 2012, 20:10
There's a number of good ones on ebuyer that will fit your bill. Shouldn't cost more the a couple of ton.

AmiNeo
27th October 2012, 20:15
Thanks but if I could afford a couple of ton, I'd have a Galaxy tab II or Nexus next to me right now.

As stated, needs to be cheap and I only need it for PDFs and reading from websites, so doesn't need to be anything top of the line or anything. My only source of income right now is my student loan so I can't afford to be splashing out.

I also figure a used one will be cheaper than a new one... :thumbsup:

tokyoracer
27th October 2012, 20:17
Galaxy's are far more the a couple. I use slang to sort of avoid pricedriving. For the pricepoint you're looking at you need to hunt around the 2nd hand market, on eBay perhaps.

Any less then you will find it to be very choppy.

AmiNeo
27th October 2012, 20:18
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab2-inch-Tablet/dp/B0080OQJDK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351361892&sr=8-2

Cough cough... Really? :p

quarkx
27th October 2012, 20:19
Se if you can get an HP tablet. They were great. I had one, but sold it:Doh:
Very responsive, and now Andriod has been ported for it.
HP should have kept at it, it could have been a contender, but they gave up way too fast.

tokyoracer
27th October 2012, 20:21
Wow, well I stand corrected. They sure have come down alot. I struggled to find a good performing one for about that price early this year.

Acer do good ones so I would suggest you check them out. I'm on the mobile for the moment so I can't hunt about effectively. My advice though is to just look around, ebuyer for example has many and often has customer reviews to help.

AmiNeo
27th October 2012, 20:30
Aye, was kinda hoping someone here would have one. Already spent some time looking around, too many snipers on eBay and new ones are a little above what I can afford to let go of. For what I want one for at least.

I appreciate you taking the time to advise me though! ;)

There are a couple of lesser brand ones like the Archos Arnova tablets. I'm not sure as to the quality of them though. I don't mind a lesser brand but I don't want to shell out for one that dies after 6 months or starts falling apart :lol: Preferably would like it to retain some resell value in case I need to cash in again as well and buying new is about the worst way to go about that, lol.

ShambleS1980
27th October 2012, 20:50
i have some sort of tablety thing here.
i had a hell of a time to update it so it could play angry birds but i did it eventually.. its resistive not capasative if that makes a diference.

no idea where the charger is. so il have a look for that and the thingy that lets it connectet to a lan port for wired connection if needed.

Il get you some details when i have found all the junk that goes with it.
il also give you a price for it too.

Its a something or other e-pad.

Edit

Charger has to be in storage some where. because i cant seem to find it here. "could be in a few other places but as the wife wont let me search right now, i have to just abandon the quest for now at least"

cant throw out a price give i cant test the dumb thing. It worked perfectly fine last time i used it. but id rather not start spouting prices till i have the charger.

AmiNeo
27th October 2012, 21:22
I'll take a look at it Shambles, ta... How is the user experience on something like angry birds? My experience of resistive screens are that theyre pretty damn unresponsive lol

TjLaZer
27th October 2012, 21:29
Maybe get a cheap used iPad 1. ? Not sure they they've dropped much in price. With the 4th gen coming out and the fact they can't get iOS 6 they should be cheap...

ShambleS1980
27th October 2012, 21:35
honestly..
it sucked. thats why i havent been using it. game play was slugish at times. "quite often really"

it takes a 9v charger though so i should have a compatable adapter some where. so il test it with that later but like i said i cant find its charger right now it has to be in storage really. or in one of the boxes i already took to the new house.

AmiNeo
27th October 2012, 21:45
Lol, okay. Don't stress looking for it though if its a lot of effort. Chances are it wont be suitable anyway. :)

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:45 ----------

Maybe get a cheap used iPad 1. ? Not sure they they've dropped much in price. With the 4th gen coming out and the fact they can't get iOS 6 they should be cheap...

They may be old but theyre still iPads, lol. I'd imagine them going for as much as a nexus almost still.

Edit: Just checked, theres a 1st gen iPad on the other bay with 17 mins left approaching the 2 ton mark. :roll:

ShambleS1980
27th October 2012, 21:49
give me 1 last chance and il let you know.
if i cant fin something to charge it this time il give up.

AmiNeo
27th October 2012, 22:07
Rofl :thumbsup:

tokyoracer
27th October 2012, 22:14
Well I hate to give a negative tone but the prices are what they are, your'e always going to pay for performance and if you want something powerful to run Adobe readers and the suchlike then to be honest the Galaxy Tab offers super value for its performance even at RRP. If you are looking to shave a couple or few purple notes down from that then you will have to compromise either on quality, performance or features or even all three. Comes as no surprise why Samsung are so dominent in these areas, far outselling the Apple products now.

So really I think you are better off saving your money to get something decent from the start. That's what I did to get an i5 rig just a few days ago. Just awaiting arrival...

Ofcourse there's always pawn brokers and 2nd hand shops, sometimes you can get lucky. Also bare in mind it's only a couple of months 'til christmas.

AmiNeo
27th October 2012, 22:22
Well I hate to give a negative tone but the prices are what they are, your'e always going to pay for performance and if you want something powerful to run Adobe readers and the suchlike then to be honest the Galaxy Tab offers super value for its performance even at RRP. If you are looking to shave a couple or few purple notes down from that then you will have to compromise either on quality, performance or features or even all three. Comes as no surprise why Samsung are so dominent in these areas, far outselling the Apple products now.

So really I think you ate better off saving ypur money to get something decent from the start.

Ofcourse there's always pawn brokers and 2nd hand shops. Also don't forget its only a couple of months 'til christmas.

Yeah I get what you mean. I was just hoping to find something to read ebooks on the train, as many of my course books come with PDF versions and I feel I could make better use of the couple of hours a week I spend sitting on my butt listening to the same music while waiting to arrive at my stop. I honestly cant afford 140+ just for that though.

My 2010 HTC desire does ebooks without breaking a sweat, running ICS with a single core 1GHz processor and 512mb RAM, so I wouldn't have thought I'd have needed a quad core CPU to be able to read some PDFs. The phone is just too damn small.

moijk
27th October 2012, 23:25
Se if you can get an HP tablet. They were great. I had one, but sold it:Doh:
Very responsive, and now Andriod has been ported for it.
HP should have kept at it, it could have been a contender, but they gave up way too fast.

I have one of the hp touchpads. Running android ICS. it is a dual core 1.2 ghz or something, and with 32GB it has space too. And is cheap nowadays since people seem to upgrade to something newer that probably is at best barly more powerful..

AmiNeo
28th October 2012, 01:19
Thanks moijk, I'll check into the HP ones they sound like they're worth a look. Do you have an exact model I can look up?

---------- Post added at 23:16 ---------- Previous post was at 23:03 ----------

hmm, just looked them up, unfortunately theyre going for the same price as the Galaxy tab IIs here.

---------- Post added 28th October 2012 at 00:19 ---------- Previous post was 27th October 2012 at 23:16 ----------

Looking at the Arnova 7 G2... Opinions?

johnim
28th October 2012, 12:09
what about this

http://www.ebuyer.com/386278-sumvision-astro-7-tablet-pc-astro-7

AmiNeo
28th October 2012, 23:33
what about this

http://www.ebuyer.com/386278-sumvision-astro-7-tablet-pc-astro-7

Thanks John, after looking up some reviews and checking out a few youtube vids, I decided to go for this. :thumbsup: The spec is pretty nice, the best I've seen for the money. Should be great for what I need it for.

Will let everyone know how I get on with it when it arrives. :D

ami_junki
29th October 2012, 01:16
Ahh I think I have the same one but its called the Tablo, quite nice machine battery is a bit short though.

AmiNeo
31st October 2012, 00:47
:thumbsup:

AmiNeo
2nd November 2012, 19:46
Got it today, been having a fiddle and very pleased so far. It's very responsive, only lagging slightly on pages with loads of thumbnails. Runs most android games as smooth as a babies proverbial behind and screen looks pretty good given the price. It's no nexus 7 bust that isn't what I paid for and all things considered its a damn good buy.

Next stop: Emulators :D

Should do for my needs very well. :thumbsup:

johnim
2nd November 2012, 20:14
nice 1 mate

now we need a review

moijk
2nd November 2012, 20:27
Got it today, been having a fiddle and very pleased so far. It's very responsive, only lagging slightly on pages with loads of thumbnails. Runs most android games as smooth as a babies proverbial behind and screen looks pretty good given the price. It's no nexus 7 bust that isn't what I paid for and all things considered its a damn good buy.

Next stop: Emulators :D

Should do for my needs very well. :thumbsup:

looks like a great contender at a very low price!

Powerpie5000
2nd November 2012, 20:33
I'm still waiting for the Archos Gamepad as i suspect it will become very popular amongst homebrew and emulator devs :)... it's quite a reasonable price too!

AmiNeo
3rd November 2012, 00:48
Was looking forward to that one too but needed one sooner for using the time up I spend travelling. I can read PDFs of my course books on the train now :D

Having a lil trouble tho with Sonic 4 ep2 it says its not compatible with it but Sonic 4 Ep1 is and runs fine on it... What gives?:unsure:

tokyoracer
3rd November 2012, 01:16
Good luck with the new tablet. I may aswell close this but if the worst comes to the worst and it all goes pear shaped, feel free to re-open.

AmiNeo
3rd November 2012, 01:22
Okay Tokyo, may as well close I suppose. I've opened another thread for my question I posted if anyone knows why Ep 2 isnt compatible with the tab. Seems odd that 1 is but 2 isnt.... Thanks :thumbsup: