Filled Apollo 1240 40Mhz Battery extraction / replacement required and some TLC :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tw1sted1981

Chris Forrester
AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Country
Uk
Region
Hertfordshire
I have an apollo 1240 40 Mhz card (Mach 130) and whilst being back on this forum I read about how the battery should be removed before it becomes corrosive and destroys the board.

I am looking for someone in England who is up to the job of giving this card some love and attention to allow the card to have many more years of use. I have read a couple of chips near the battery might need replacing and the board cleaned up from any battery acid that might of leaked.

The board works fine, and on closer inspection last night (I pulled the plastic cap from the battery) I can see some white fuzz on the top. I am hoping I might of caught this at a good time.

Anyone here with experience of this kind of work? In an ideal world it would be nice to replace the battery with a new one but I understand this might involve some work because it needs some kind of charging unit and I dont know how much room the extra parts will take on the board. Also read something about a capacitor that might needs switching?

Please PM the cost of such service, and potential options.

I hope someone can help me out with this and allows this card to live on longer!

Regards

-Chris

Hiyas Chris

There are a few engineers on the site that can help - normally I would offer to help but at the moment I have just too much work on.

your best bet would be to take some pics of the adapter so we can see what we can do.

At this juncture I would suggest gently removing the battery with snips and then using jiff lemon juice and cover the effected area - leave it 5 minutes and then wash with water or IPA (isopropyl alcohol)

Hiyas Chris

There are a few engineers on the site that can help - normally I would offer to help but at the moment I have just too much work on.

your best bet would be to take some pics of the adapter so we can see what we can do.

At this juncture I would suggest gently removing the battery with snips and then using jiff lemon juice and cover the effected area - leave it 5 minutes and then wash with water or IPA (isopropyl alcohol)

Hi Zetr0,
Good to hear from you, I had hoped you might write (and hopefully Bebek) seemed you both might be up to this type of work, I also look forward to hearing from other local skilled engineers.

If I remove the battery is the card still functional? I do still intend to have some skilled hands work on the card though to do the job correctly just curious about it.

I will take some photos this evening of the card and add them here.

I appreciate the fast feedback

-Chris

Hi Chris

Quite happy to sort it for you my friend

TC (y)

That would be amazing :)

I have also read good things about yourself (Bas). So many good people in this community I think I will be coming across many more in the future :)

I should really get a photo up on here for you to see the card and make a better judgement on the work, would you PM me after about costs for such repair? :)

Thank you for the interest in this 'project'

-Chris

Your Welcome my friend

I await the piccys, bit of hardware pr0n is good for the soul anyway :LOL:

Speak Soon :)

I hope these photos are clear enough, I popped the white cap off the battery and you can see clearly the 'fuzz'

The black chip nearby has some green colour on it I can only assume its from the battery. I took a photo of the backside of the board that looks clean but who knows.

je9e5azy.jpg

3aqetera.jpg

ate7ebeb.jpg

sabu2ugy.jpg

What do you think? :)

Super news,

The card has been working just fine, unfortunately I dont really have my CF card setup with apps to really push the card (if anyone has suggestions for games/apps that would see an increased benefit with this card please feel free to PM me). I can say that it runs quite happily in my Amiga switched on for many hours.

How shall we proceed, via PM? I obviously want to pay you for such services :)

Request filled, will be posting soon this week

Request filled, will be posting soon this week

Luckily for me TheCorfiot has kindly offered me his services to work on this board.

We have PM'd and worked out an arrangement.

I will be posting the board sometime this week.

Thanks

-Chris

Extremely happy with work carried out.

Monies paid as paypal gift.

Thank you for taking on the work Bas :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom