PDA

View Full Version : I May Be An Addict

SkydivinGirl
15th November 2009, 20:39
Well, I'm trying to clean up my retro gear and made a bit of progress. In doing so, I think I discovered I'm a retro computer addict.

What do you guys think?

:mrgreen:

Heather

Powerpie5000
15th November 2009, 20:43
:wooha:... Now that's an impressive collection! Does any of it actually get used?

J.T.Kirk
15th November 2009, 20:44
Well, I think that you are not. :whistle:

Nevertheless, nice collection, mostly Commodore though (not Amigas). Or there are in another stands?

keropi
15th November 2009, 21:01
awesome!

Shoonay
15th November 2009, 21:12
Are you planning to take over the world with that, SdG? ;)

SkydivinGirl
15th November 2009, 21:16
@powerpie

Some of it gets used. I haven't had a chance to test most of it yet. That's going to be my winter project. :D I bought a lot of this in large lots. Much of it will be sold after I test it to get back some of the money.

@Phantom

You're right, most of it is 8-Bit C= gear. In the pictures there are also two Amiga 1000s, an Amiga 500 and Amiga 1200. There are also Amiga monitors and floppy drives. My Amiga 600 and 4000 are set up and being used.

@keropi

Thanks for the enthusiasm. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone!

Heather

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

@Shoonay

LOL! I just might. I think if I combine all the computing power there I might be able to run Windows 98. :wink:

Of course, why would I want to put my poor C= computers through that experience!

Heather

r0jaws
15th November 2009, 22:13
The one thing that struck me, apart from the volume of kit of course, was how neatly stacked and tidy that all was!

My OCD Monkey made a succesion of happy noises and settled down to a contented snooze after seeing that.
I feel bizarrely happy and relaxed now.
Thank you. :D

J.T.Kirk
15th November 2009, 23:10
Heather, I hope that there is no any sign of humidity there to ruin all your collection through the years.

rkauer
16th November 2009, 00:13
...Nor leaking batteries inside the computers (the A500's A501 is one example).

woodycool
16th November 2009, 00:39
That's a nice collection there, Heather.
But, how many C64s do you need? :lol:

I thought my collection was mad, but that takes some beating.
Saying that, today, at the RCM open day, I did the usual thing, and came back with more than I took to the event .... brought back an Amstrad GX4000 (freebie), a ZX Spectrum +2A (to replace my knackered one) and an MMBeeb for my BBC Micro model B.

quarkx
16th November 2009, 04:21
Hee Hee Hee,
That's a great start!!! I think I may see a CoCo in there also, but I cant tell if it is a 2 or 3 at this angle. BTW heather, I found a great fourm for the 8 bit Commodore stuff (just PM me ofr the URL) I joined last week and it has tons of stuff on the 128 and a small TED fourm also.
-Glen:shhh:

Zetr0
16th November 2009, 09:23
I tihnk we have found the REAL love in SdG's life =D

nice pics, organization... as r0jaws states OCD monkey is happy =D

now what does it say about one, whom can name every bit of kit in the pictures?

J.T.Kirk
16th November 2009, 11:57
now what does it say about one, whom can name every bit of kit in the pictures?

Hmm.. how many karma points for this then? :D

SkydivinGirl
16th November 2009, 14:35
Well, considering I just started getting into retro computing about a year ago, I've collected a ton of stuff. Half the fun for me is the collecting aspect, although I don't think I need any more 8-Bit C64s any time soon. I'm going to have fun this winter poking through the machines and getting them to work well. Two of the bread bin models are in like new physical condition and I even have some silver label models in there.

Everything was not so organized until this weekend. I turned my downstairs bedroom into a storage room and moved all this stuff from my upstairs office on Saturday. It was good exercise and getting those metal racks downstairs by myself was quite difficult. My cats looked on in amusement the entire time.

rkauer was right, I really need to check a couple of these machines for battery issues. The first one that comes to mind is the A500. I don't know if the PC-10 has a battery but I will certainly check. Does anyone see anything else that may need to be looked at?

There's no humidity in the room but I can't speak for where they were stored before I got them. I know some people store their retro gear in their garage! I would never do that.

You are right in pointing out it's not all C= stuff in there. Some of the plastic bins contain my Sega Genesis, Sega Dreamcasts and other items. I've also got the CoCo and the Halo Edition XBOX with Xecuter 3. I rotate my retro consoles out because I really don't have room to keep them all hooked up.

Well, thanks for looking everyone. I really don't think I need anything else for the holidays! I buy my presents throughout the year.

Take care,

Heather

Hessu
17th November 2009, 09:21
:wooha: That's nice collection, i'm sure you don't get boored at your holidays. :drool:

Harrison
17th November 2009, 17:48
That is amazingly tidy! It is how I wish I could get my collection. Although I would ideally like it all setup to use it without needing to set things up every time, but there isn't the room for that at the moment.

I struggle to keep finding new spaces to store (hide) all of my collection. :lol: It's not just the systems and their boxes and related hardware though. I also find it hard to find the space to store all the boxed software I keep getting ready for scanning for CA, and until I find the time to actually scan any of that lot, it needs storage space.

If you find one of those C64's is broken maybe you should consider a PC conversion project? Gut the C64, install a mini-itx PC motherboard, with a keyrah adaptor so you can use the original C64 keyboard as the PC keyboard. Maybe even squeeze a pico PSU and laptop CD-Rom into it too. It's something I've been wanting to do to an A1200 case in some time.

SkydivinGirl
17th November 2009, 18:17
If you find one of those C64's is broken maybe you should consider a PC conversion project?
That's a good idea. I'm sure there are at least a couple non-working items there.

I've got way to much stuff at the moment and really need to get rid of some stuff. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to collecting stuff. I guess that's one of the things I miss about the C64/Amiga days when I would spend a day at a friend's house copying disks for my collection. :)

Take care,

Heather

Kin Hell
17th November 2009, 18:43
Well, I'm trying to clean up my retro gear and made a bit of progress. In doing so, I think I discovered I'm a retro computer addict.

What do you guys think?

:mrgreen:

Heather

Er....yeah baby! :nod:

Kin

SkydivinGirl
17th November 2009, 21:57
Er....yeah baby! :nod:
LOL! I figured I was, but I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks Charlie!

Heather

jvdbossc
18th November 2009, 00:38
I do not understand how to pick this up in a year:o

I have a collection, but it is nothing compared to this:Doh:

Well when somebody decides to sell a collection, (complete bunch) I do not respond, because of the space taken.

Everybody has most of the time the same available "crap = enough produced":

C64 "brown"
C64 "white"
C128
Amiga 500-600
Amiga 1200(more difficult:unsure:)
Expansions for A1200

What I also found at flee's:

Vic20. (I did not buy this, but bought the television module.)
C128D (250 euro's to much I thougt, there selling point was, good system for children:Doh:)

And then the monitors are space taking...

SkydivinGirl
18th November 2009, 01:49
I got a couple large lots that make up much of this collection. The 5,000+ 5.25" Floppy Disks are not shown in the pictures. :) I know many of these items are common but I do have some desirable items in there.

Take care,

Heather

trip6
18th November 2009, 06:09
I am almost speechless... A woman who collects Commodore and Amiga (and Sega) gear and doesnt want it hidden from sight, destroyed or otherwise removed from the premises... This almost sounds too good to be true... Can you prove that your really a woman (just kidding)? And if you are, where do we find more like you?... The only other one I know of is Cammy... Too bad you don't live in New York... I'd show you my collection, if you'd show me yours....LOL...

My collection is bigger though (note the manly inuendo here)... But thats a nice collection too...

Just kidding its nice too see women represent in the Commodore and Amiga scene... I strongly encourge this!!!

J.T.Kirk
18th November 2009, 14:24
You don't see Amiga girls everyday, and that's something different.

SkydivinGirl
18th November 2009, 15:29
@trip6

LOL! Yeah, I get that a lot from guys in the retro community. I haven't met Cammy yet since I don't frequent EAB but I'm sure I'll run into her at some point. I proudly wear my geekdom on my sleeve and I'm also a skydiver. :)

And trust me... I don't have collection envy. :p

Take care,

Heather

woodycool
18th November 2009, 15:36
I think it's great to see women interested in colleting this awesome retro technology.
In the past, it's always something that has had a typical stereotype of being for sad, geeky, single blokes ..... it's good to see that stereotype being broken.

Justin
18th November 2009, 15:38
I think it's great to see women interested in colleting this awesome retro technology.
In the past, it's always something that has had a typical stereotype of being for sad, geeky, single blokes ..... it's good to see that stereotype being broken.

sorry bud, but the stereotype is still alive and well, as with all things there is an exception to the rule, in this case SDG :p

rkauer
18th November 2009, 16:23
I'm not single, not sad and I have a intense social life. Geek? OK, that's a thing I can live with.

Oh, and I like sex with the opposite sex (only, btw). As lots of other good people here.

And from I noticed here, over 90% of this bay users are like that. Probably the same proportion as non-retro society.

J.T.Kirk
18th November 2009, 16:25
Oh, and I like sex with the opposite sex (only, btw). As lots of other good people here.

:nod:

SkydivinGirl
18th November 2009, 17:06
Sadly, I am the exception to the rule when it comes to women and retro tech. The good thing is that women are getting more and more into modern day tech and may eventually find the fun in retro stuff. :thumbsup:

Take care,

Heather

rkauer
18th November 2009, 17:26
I only know four women active in the Amiga scene: Our beauty Heather, Cammy
(EAB & A.org), AB_Positive (EAB) and Cecilia (Amiga.org).

Five, if I can count Kikki Stockhammer...:drool:

J.T.Kirk
18th November 2009, 17:27
You forgot my wife Vampyra (only in greek amiga forums though). :D

rkauer
18th November 2009, 17:36
I didn't know about your wife 'till now, friend. OK, the count is increasing! :D

SkydivinGirl
18th November 2009, 18:18
LOL! I always laughed whenever I saw her in yet another Video Toaster/Newtek demo or video. She was definitely a good face for Newtek.

Heather

protek
19th November 2009, 07:44
I see four SX64s there, four.:drool::bowdown::thumbsup2:

SkydivinGirl
19th November 2009, 14:22
Yep! I actually got one on eBay that was in non-working condition then I later found three other working ones (two from the same person!). As with most of the stuff there, I have not fully tested or cleaned up each one. I think in the end I'll have three 100% working/complete SX-64s and one for parts. I'm sure one of the working ones will be posted here early next year.

:D

Heather

woodycool
19th November 2009, 17:46
I only know four women active in the Amiga scene: Our beauty Heather, Cammy
(EAB & A.org), AB_Positive (EAB) and Cecilia (Amiga.org).

There's also: Rinoa (Retro Gamer & RCM), Rtrgl78 (Retro Gamer), Video Gamer Girl (Retro Gamer)