Indivision AGA Problems. Help!

JLPedro

AmiBayer
Country
Portugal
Region
Coimbra
Just received an indivision AGA 1200 with all sanding done to fit perfectly on a Lisa HP chip.

My motherboard is a 1D4 with no timing fixes applyed.
Now the problems start, without the indivision perfect, installl de indivision and i get a perfect image then some minutes the screen turns off and then on again, repeats about 2-3 times and then simply crashes the amiga regularly.... :censored:.

Tried everything, removing Blizzard 1230 IV 64mb, removing Elbox Power 4-Way Buffered IDE adapter same story.... Also used a 170w miniatx psu and a 4,5A A500 psu.

Do you thing i need to apply the timing fixes for this board revision?

Motherboard version
1D4 Budgie Rev 0 ( 391425-01 )
1D4 Budgie Rev A ( 391425-02 )

Remove:

E123C
E125C

Help :please:!

Last edited:
Make sure that the Indivision is secure fitted onto Lisa chip. Unplug and plug it again.

It's secure, flashed with v1.5 (in fact with 1.5 is even worse....).

Works fine with a 1B motherboard and Blizzard 1230 IV + CF 4GB more than 30 minutes playing and in WB.

The problem can be on the Elbox Power 4-Way Buffered IDE adapter or the Rev 1D4 motherboard (most likely).

The timing fixes is just remove the resistors?

Last edited:
If it's any help I supplied ravestar with a 1D4 Mobo & Indivision on this thread.

No problems as you describe, what so ever. Just be sure you have the Indivision fully seated. Poppoing it on & off a couple of times might make a bit better contact for you. The Socket on the Indivision must touch the mobo face on all 4 sides. ;)

Kin

Indivision is reseated more than enough...

The most problems ocur while acessing the IDE (with or without adapter, with CF card or 2,5' hd), without ide drives, crashes are less frequent.

Just want to know, is the timing fixes for the 1D4 is the removal of both resistors E123C e E125C? That's it?

I'm going to trie that later. If that fails i might be looking for a 1B motherboard :)Doh: sold mine to DKaram).

Doesn't matter if you sack the pair of resistors or the pair of capacitors. Just sack one pair leaving the other intact.

But as far as I remember, the 1D4 board have a SMD capacitor very near the Lisa chip and it stop the Indy to seat properly.

BTW: this board have the electrolytic capacitors swapped? Lock-ups while accessing the IDE bus hints into the capacitor problem.

The indivision seats perfectly, I'v looked in every angle, and its stuck to the lisa chip.
But even without any IDE activity the system crashes...

I really don't no... without the indivision everything works fine...

I'm not capable of swapping SMD capacitors, don't have the tools...
I can remove the resistors....

....and to follow on from rkauer, the capacitor tops will look sweaty if they are breaking down & an orange/brown gungy puss if blown entirely.

Kin

@Kinnie: no mate. Some of those SMD little ba***rds used in Amigas are known for not showing what they are doing until too late.

Best way is reaching a soldering iron on their pads. If they leaked, you will notice an adorable rotten fish smell. Argh!

Yeah rkauer. You're on about those smooth little dinky affairs. I was of course refering to the more common folded Caps.

blown-capacitor-close-up1.jpg

Kin

Last edited:
If that's the case i'm in beep :censored: cause i can't remove smd capacitors (actualy i can... but ill damage the board for shure).

I'll trie the timing fixes first.... :(

PS: If it was the caps wouldn't it ocur regardless of the use of indivision???

Well after dismonting my Amiga I found that the timing fixes are already done from factory...
All capacitors look like new and the solder joins are chiny without sine's of leaking.
So at this point it works 100% without the indivision, and really bad with the indivision...

I'm not up to the job of replacing the capacitors so I gess i'm on the look for another A1200 motherboard.

Some pics on the motherboard :

http://cid-09387203bca1fd0f.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Pública/Rev1D4?uc=1

Your Lisa Chip looks a little dodgey, bottom left corner near the 4th & 5th leg. :unsure:
Probably nothing, but....

Kin

I give up... tried everything i can, cleaned all contacts, reseated the indivision n times, tried without any periferals as HD, it just don't likes my 1D4.. :censored: , and i just sold a perfectly working 1B Commodore Lisa chip to DKaram...:banghead:.

So I'm on the looks for a 1B motherboard or other revision tested working with the indivision (posted a wanted request).

My 1D4 still works flaulessly without the indivision, with Blizzard 1230 IV, a 60gb 2,5'' HD and external DVD-RW conected on a Elbox EIDE interface. Put the indivision and... :censored::censored::censored:, I really don't understand and I'm starting to consider selling everything and just use WinUAE.

The indivision is 100% as i have an 1B (with some repaired lane's and very bad looking shape) and it works like a charm on it (also as a HP Lisa chip), tested for more than 40 minutes with games and WB in HighGFX mode, just perfect. I just can use this board on the case cause i don't thrust it (i repaired it myself...:nuts:), and it might just blow... i just use it for testing.

PS: Is it normal to the Elbox EIDE chip to get very hot??

Yes the Elbox Chip does get hot, but exactly how hot, is hot?; - depends if you're burning the skin off your fingers in the process of determining the heat. I wouldn't have thought tis hot tbh.

I know the Indivison had one or two issues on release & perhaps yours needs modifying to work correctly? - Removing or bridging some Resistors or other afair?

It might be an idea to Email Jens Schoenfeld over @ Individual & explain the predicament you have.

Kin

The Elbox EIDE gets a bit hot, not hot enough to be a problem for my finger. As for the indivision itself, I doubt it as any problem, as it works 100% on the other motherboard, it's even been sanded to fit the HP Lisa chip (not by me).

So then the heat isn't really an issue for you. Sustained finger touching being tolerable is fine.
I'd still be questioning the Lisa Chip mark on your board & perhaps trying to fit a DCE FF/SD that uses the Lisa Chip may show the same problem. I can fully appreciate your frustrations.

Kin

@ JLPedro

I just emailed you asking if you had 3.0 or 3.1 ROMS installed & now want to take this further for you.

Cold boot the Amiga 1200 with the whole thing assembled & pull up the Early startup screen via the Indivision & leave it there. If it's still on 5 minutes later, I think you better copy/paste your Startup-sequence & User-Startup scripts for us all to have a look at. It'd also be handy to know what applications you have in your Workbench Startup drawer & also your Devs:Monitor Drawer too.

Thanks,

Kin

I'm runing with Kickstart 3.1 v40.68.
My setup is OS 3.9 clean with Elbox EIDE Software + Alegro CDFS and Whdload registered.

The rest i can only trie tomorrow and post the results here.

Thanks for the help everyone! (y)

Booted to the ealy startup screen and waited, took 2 minutes to appear, flash black screen and then on, it's like the indivision shuts down for a second and then on, eventualy it crashes the Amiga, with 3.1 and 3.0 roms, with IDE interface and without etc...etc...

Here's a video showing the problem on OS 3.9 WB:

Warning! 17MB in size...

http://cid-09387203bca1fd0f.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Pública/Rev1D4/MVI^_0416.AVI

I think there's nothing else to test, will have buy another motherboard....

@All

Thanks for the support (y) you are great.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom