Retr0bright comes 2nd in Hardware vote

Thanks, but I don't count Retr0bright as hardware. In fact, I wouldn't have thought it qualified for this vote at all.......:blink:

I'm chuffed to bits anyway.

:)

Well now, out of these two it would be even funnier if someone considered it as software. ;) (which wouldn't be that far from the truth, because the chemicals make the plastic soft, and floppy, and stuff like that... no? :ninja:)

Likewise Merlin, but still a pretty cool achievement. Well done m8y. (y)

Kin

In a Best Hardware 2009 vote at a Dutch Commodore Users Group forum, I am amazed that Retr0bright came second only to the Indivision AGA, with Natami 3rd and Minimig at 4th place!!

:wooha:

Details here:-

http://commodore-gg.hobby.nl/verkiezingen/resultaten.php?taal=en

What a rip-off!!!! :censored:

It's way better than the Indivision AGA!!! :roll:

Just think about. Basically, every Amiga could use it, but only a few can use that AGA thing..

I mean, it's an easy choice!!

I think the Russians had some deals with the French judge, cuz you should have won!!! :D

desiv

Congratulations Merlin, and everyone else involved. (y)

It is a great achievement and well deserved.

I suppose they can view it as hardware because it restores the look of hardware to its former glory. And as said above, it hardly qualifies as software..

Indeed!

Kudos to Merlin and co. Retr0bright is a really amazing idea and I don't think I've seen anything quite like it before. You guys deserve this!

@ AndyLandy

It's extremely customised, niche chemistry; the reason it works so well is that it was custom made for treating the brominated flame retardants. I did weeks of research into this to eventually identify TBBP-A as the flame retardant used and I am 95%+ certain that is what Commodore used, although I can't track anyone down from their moulding plant to confirm it.

One man's magic is another man's science... we could probably write a thesis or a dissertation on the phenomenon, but do I really need a degree to prove my credentials in chemistry? I think that the Wiki says it all and I have tried to keep it simple so that people also get to understand WHY it works, which was the question nobody asked at the start but it made sense from a science standpoint once we had figured it out.

Seriously, I couldn't have pulled this off without the help and discussions that I had with Zetr0, rkauer and others about the formulation of the ABS masterbatch and its possible composition. I'm sure that I bored Zetr0 rigid with it all!!

Everyone who has put effort into research and testing that went towards the creation of Retr0bright deserves this, and the key people that made it happen were all Commodore users, either C64s or Amigas. Who says Amiga people aren't still at the edge of innovation?

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

As a happy Retr0Bright user I have to say congrats and well deserved!

Ehm, this is not an outcome yet, but a interim result. The contest hasn't closed yet, and actually Retrobright now shares the #1 spot with Indivision.

If it wins, who will come and collect the prize Dec. 19th in Maarssen, Holland? Merlin? If you need a place to stay, I know at least 2 people in Holland that live (very) close to Maarssen, myself included... :)

Erm, I don't know... what do you get for 1st Prize?

When does the contest end?

Ooh, this is tense......:unsure:

Erm, I don't know... what do you get for 1st Prize?

When does the contest end?

Ooh, this is tense......:unsure:

The contest closes two weeks before the meeting, that would be this Saturday...

You win an excellent trophee!!! :) (and everlasting fame obviously)

Attachments

• prijzen.jpg
    prijzen.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 0
WOW!!
:wooha:

Those trophies are the shiznit!!
:nod:

"Best Hardware Innovation 2009" is the best translation I can guess at..

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

@ Tahoe

As our project was international and involved people from all over the World, where do we put it? We don't have a cabinet!!

:LOL:

Well, here are the final results of the voting...

Hardware
Minimig - Dennis van Weeren (28,0 %)
Indivision (24,0 %)
Retr0bright (20,0 %)
C64 Laptop - Benjamin J Heckendorn (8,0 %)
Natami (8,0 %)
MEGA CART (4,0 %)
HardSID 4U (4,0 %)
DC2N - Luigi Di Fraia (4,0 %)
JiffyDOS - Jim Brain (0,0 %)
EasyFlash (0,0 %)
CBM-HD - Ruud Baltissen (0,0 %)

I can live with a 3rd place - it saves me having to figure out how to pick the award up!!

:LOL:

Voting isn't over yet... Closing date is Dec. 12th.

So. You might still need to get that ticket for a ferry/plane! :)

Can anyone vote?

Are amibayers banned from voting due to conflict of interest ? ;-P

Back
Top Bottom