Replacing the battery in a 1230 MKIV?

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I've just acquired a Blizzard 1230 MKIV for a friend and the battery is dead (it won't charge). How do you remove and replace the battery? Does it need to be removed and replaced with a standard coin holder and diode as with other Amiga batteries?

I suppose yes, but why to change the coin holder? You cannot change just the coin battery?

I thought all of these accelerators just has a coin battery that could be replaced, as both of the Blizzard 1230's I have do, but this one doesn't look like it can be removed. The battery seems to be firmly fixed into the mounting.

The board/battery looks like this.

What do you think?

yes, those can be replaced with the coin-holder+diode hack...
it actually sucks how the old manufacturers used those fixed-type batteries - not only in amigas but in lots other platforms - that make replacing the battery a hard task for a normal user...

At least DCE/Phase5 used the VL2020 rechargeable battery. It is a Li-ion one and don't leak.

Of course, nothing stops you to replace it with a common CR2032/2532, coin holder and a germanium diode.

@ rkauer

So you mean, that I don't have to be afraid of this battery? It's since 1995 that it has the same battery, but it still works!!! :wooha:

Was exactly what I wrote, mate.

I never see a lithium-ion battery leaking, nor have heard about one.

Back
Top Bottom