Not open for further replies.

Astral

AmiBayer
Blogger
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Country
NSW Australia
I'd like one for a project. Pretty sure the model number is correct - it's the genuine Amiga "slimline" version - not the bigger 1010. Don't need the actual drive itself to work. But the electronics must and the case must be complete. Preferably from Australia. If you've got one that would be great!

Last edited:
That's the right model number. I recently managed to get hold of one, but had to align the drive heads. Tedious to say the least!

I should have mentioned the actual drive condition itself is irrelevant. As long as the electronics are there and work and the case is there and complete that's good enough. I'll edit the first post to reflect this.

---------- Post added at 07:28 ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 ----------

Thanks for the offer fitsteve. I'll see how I go "locally" first as I have a feeling the drive cost + UK shipping will make it not such an economical decision :D

I have one here:

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=36738&page=2

Do you want me to quote on postage?

It's working perfect.

Steve.

Posting within Australia is sometimes more expensive than shipping from another country to Australia (especially from Hong Kong, they have some amazing postage deals). I have a A1011, it weighs 1.16kg, cheapest postage from VIC to NSW would be $12.50 AUD (that's just postage).

What project are you going to use this for?

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer fitsteve. I'll see how I go "locally" first as I have a feeling the drive cost + UK shipping will make it not such an economical decision :D

No Probs, Postage would probably be circa £20 by Airmail...

What you should probably do is get things combined and sent by courier, for about £40-£45 you can have FedEx up to about 10kg as long as the box isn't too big, so if you're buying a few things from UK that can save you in the long term.

I should have mentioned the actual drive condition itself is irrelevant. As long as the electronics are there and work and the case is there and complete that's good enough. I'll edit the first post to reflect this.

Note that these drives use a custom made version of the FB-354 so there's no separate interface PCB, "actual drive" and "electronics" are unified. The 23-wire cable plugs straight into the drive.
(you can still of course consider the heads assembly ("drive") separately from the drive's PCB ("electronics"), but I don't think that's what you had in mind).
Of course it may be possible to replace this kind of FB-354 with a standard internal-type FB-354 plus an interface PCB stolen from another external drive - there's some clearance between the drive and the A1011's plastic shell.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 0
It's easier to get a new Chinon 354 and separate the controller board carefully and swap it on the new drive. The connections it has is one for the stepper motor, two for the heads, one for the zero track sensor and the plug that it connects to the drive PCB. It's only two screws to separate the two PCBs. This is all assuming the controller board is okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom