PDA

View Full Version : Playing PS2 games on a PS3?

davideo
25th November 2009, 22:46
All this talk about PS3s has got me thinking about my daughters PS3.

She's been told that she can't play PS2 games on the newest PS3.

She's tried them and yes most of them won't work.

Now knowing all our techies on here I said I would ask the knowledgable ones and see if there was any way to play all PS2 games on a PS3 console.

So it's now over to you guys :bowdown: after all if we can downgrade a Miggy surely we can downgrade a PS3 :thumbsup: to a PS2

Dave G :cool:

keropi
25th November 2009, 23:13
AFAIK:

1st generation PS3's actually had the ps2 hardware integrated, thus achieving very high rates in succesfull playing PS2 games.

later generation had a semi-hardware - semi-software approach to the matter, compatibillity was low...

and the last generations do not support ps2 games at all ...

Powerpie5000
25th November 2009, 23:22
AFAIK:

1st generation PS3's actually had the ps2 hardware integrated, thus achieving very high rates in succesfull playing PS2 games.

later generation had a semi-hardware - semi-software approach to the matter, compatibillity was low...

and the last generations do not support ps2 games at all ...

The first generation "PAL" PS3 has hardware for PS1 compatibility but only part hardware/part software emulation for PS2 compatibility (only with PAL 60gb model)... that is why quite a few PS2 games had issues when run on a 1st gen PAL PS3.

Only the 1st gen NTSC model had full PS2 hardware support.... which sucks for Europe :thumbsdown: but now it sucks for everyone as PS2 support has been ditched for all current models :nuts:

J.T.Kirk
25th November 2009, 23:44
I consider myself lucky, cause I have the 1st generation of PS3 (well, I bought it actually on PS3 first-launch-day back in March 2006 if I remember correctly), that has full compatibility of PS1 and PS2 games. The odd thing, is that I never had the opportunity to play a PS2 game anymore. If you have PS3... :roll:

davideo
26th November 2009, 00:06
@Phantom

But if we have PS3 Xboxs etc why do we play Miggy games??

Nostalga :thumbsup:

Or in my daughters case - too hard up to buy many new games when she has a load of old games on the shelf to play with :)

@All Thanks for the replies - It looks like she is well and truly out of luck :thumbsdown:

scrappysphinx
26th November 2009, 00:33
Hi guys, i've had my 60Gb PS3 since its launch date and i've never had a problem playing any PS1 or PS2 games.

In fact i only own around 5 or 6 PS3 games and the rest of my library are PS1 & PS2.
Great HD graphics is one thing but to be honest i havent found many PS3 games that have hooked me, apart from my FIFA series of course.

As far as playing PS1 & PS2 on the newer machines i read an article on the Sony website that said they are looking at trialing making PS2 games available via the Playstation Network, similar to the PSOne Classics.
Apparently this will be trialed in Japan and US way before Europe lol

J.T.Kirk
26th November 2009, 00:38
@ davideo

Amiga is another matter. It has gameplay almost in every game. Now the new games are only graphics and sound.

Kin Hell
26th November 2009, 04:11
This is the actual fact of the matter with regard to being able to play PS1 & PS2 games on a PS3.

In order to do so, you require a PS3 Model with a 60GB or less hard drive. All these models of PS3 included the Emotion Chip. All PS3 models with 80GB drives & upwards did not ship with the Emotion Chip & consequently, will not be backward compatible with PS1 & 2 games. :thumbsup:

Game over.

Kin

protek
26th November 2009, 11:06
This is the actual fact of the matter with regard to being able to play PS1 & PS2 games on a PS3.

In order to do so, you require a PS3 Model with a 60GB or less hard drive. All these models of PS3 included the Emotion Chip. All PS3 models with 80GB drives & upwards did not ship with the Emotion Chip & consequently, will not be backward compatible with PS1 & 2 games. :thumbsup:

Of PAL PS3:s, only the 60 GB and in some areas the 20 GB version have the PS2 support. The following 40 GB version ditched the PS2 support while still maintaining support for PS1 titles. Don't know if the 80 GB or the slim still has PS1 support, though.

Kin Hell
26th November 2009, 13:02
Of PAL PS3:s, only the 60 GB and in some areas the 20 GB version have the PS2 support. The following 40 GB version ditched the PS2 support while still maintaining support for PS1 titles. Don't know if the 80 GB or the slim still has PS1 support, though.

Not applicable in the UK. Exactly as I said earlier.

Kin

Zetr0
26th November 2009, 15:51
Sorry Kinnie,

Your info is a little out there my good friend, theres a lot of blurb on the net about what is compatible on the PS3 unfortunately if you google it, you will find some down right talking b0ll0x0rz too.

@thread

Now the PSX/PS1 never had an emotion chip. PS1/PSX titles are emulated on the PS2 and are compatible by the native emulation on the PS3 also. As with the the PS2 there are some games that have problems with the memory card, most notably is FFVII, if you use anthing other than an PSX memorycard it wont be able to read or save data, I will point out it corupeted my save data (lucky for me I have a backup save OCD).

Only the PS2 games required the Emotion Engine Hardware, which is a highly modified RISC processor. It implements the MIPS-III (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIPS_architecture) instruction set architecture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instruction_set_architecture) (ISA) and much of MIPS-IV in addition to a custom 128-bit single instruction multiple data (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIMD) (SIMD) instruction set developed by Sony/Toshiba.

As hardcore as it sounds its easier to emultate than a PowerVR chipset (think Dreamcast) as such you can play PS2 Games on the PC =D

Before getting the PS3 for chrimbo, I did infact wrestle with the do i get the 60GB PS2 compatible version?! .... then though... I have a PS2.... with a harddrive.... why would I want to pay more for an older (pre-used) model that is infact defective (YLOD) by design? (even if Sony wont admit it)

I have a PS2 with hardrive, its both Hard-Hacked with a Modbo760 modchip and the McBoot exploit, the latter is not needed and I can load to a Nix OS to then load any oy my programs. at the moment its set to load direct to HDLoader 0.8c

Also the PS3 will also convert PSX games for use with you PSP, if memory serves me, I have a PS3 here at the house (its the house christmas present) so I will let you know how I get on with the later =)

so, all PS3 will play PSX games via native emulation, however unless you have a specific model (60GB version) you wont be able to play PS2 games.

HOWEVER, you could install linux on your PS3 and then run a PSX/PS2 emulator from there =D

davideo
26th November 2009, 16:09
HOWEVER, you could install linux on your PS3 and then run a PSX/PS2 emulator from there =D

@Zeets

That's the sort of thing I was hoping for. That sounds like I should be hunting information down on this over the weekend.

@All

Thanks for the answers. Beginning to get interesting ;)

J.T.Kirk
26th November 2009, 16:46
It would be nicer to install AmigaOS 4.x in some years. :roll:

Kin Hell
26th November 2009, 17:19
@ Zetr0

I won't argue with your Wisdom Zetr0, but without the Emotion Chip in a PS3, you will not be able to play PS1 & PS2 titles via hardware. The Emotion chip was the main feature giving backward compatibility without the need for Emulation. As far as I grappled with all the blurb on the Net, it's all I could get from the mayhem. :shrug:
The Emotion Engine first appeared on the PS2 enabling greater things over PS1 & a kind of Hardware Emulation for backward compatibility as well. RE: the UK Emotion Chipped PS3's, the 80GB series of PS3 onwards did not ship with the Emotion chip. I dare say some 60GB versions slipped in there too, but afaik, that was Sony's roadmap leading to the new slimline PS3 we have today without the Emotion Chip being employed.

& you're dead right RE the YLOD affair & the blocky graphics. Why bother.

Kin

AndyLandy
26th November 2009, 17:58
We wrestled with this last Christmas, since my brother was after a PS3, and we wanted to try and get him one with PS2 compatibility, but there were none in the shops. Looking on the evilbay, it seemed that a PS2-compatible PS3 was going to cost 150 more, at which point it was cheaper to buy a new PS3 and slimline PS2 as well! It'd be nice to have it all in one box, but you might find it's more-economical to just buy a PS2 for your PS2 gaming needs. :-)

J.T.Kirk
26th November 2009, 18:01
Thanks for the info m8. Just to know when the time to sell my PS3 will come, to set the price accordingly. :D

AndyLandy
26th November 2009, 18:07
Thanks for the info m8. Just to know when the time to sell my PS3 will come, to set the price accordingly. :D

D*mn it! You'll get me in trouble for price-driving now! :D

J.T.Kirk
26th November 2009, 18:08

D*mn it! You'll get me in trouble for price-driving now! :D

Not yet my friend. I'll let you know. :lol:

Kin Hell
26th November 2009, 18:16
@ AndyLandy

The older compatible PS3's are fetching better prices than a new PS3 on the other Bay, but as Zetr0 said earlier, what's the point to run the risk of the YLOD thing.
I've wrestled with this myself & gave up on PS2 with Hard Drive & ModChip, just because the PS2 graphics look crap on the Pioneer Plasma. No point for backward compatibility really. Just get an earlier model of PS2 or PS1.

Kin

Zetr0
26th November 2009, 18:24
@Kinnie

I love you m8 I really do, but in the manual it states that you can play PS1 games NOT PS2.

The Emotion Engine is (modded MIPS processor) has nothing to do with emulation of PS1 software this is done in what is essentiall software derived from firmware with draw-libraries also from firmware (much like the PSP)

The Emotion Engine is needed only for PS2 emulation. To be honest thought, with an unlocked CELL CPU running at 3.2Ghz I believe it could emulate it, my 2.4GHz x86 Dev Server can do it..

Now, It is best to note that the PS1 games are REGION LOCKED, so you will be Limmited in that way, I am also under the belief that attempting to run ISO's from the harddrive will be locked out by the HyperVisor.

ALSO its best noted that the New PS3-Slim, Has had the "OtherOS" feature removed, as such you cannot yun Yellow Dog Linux or any Linux for that matter.

Although all PS3 phat models will retain this feature and continued support with the Firmware updates.

So if you wanna run YDL *nix on a PS3 then get an 80GB version (less YLOD failure rates than the 60's) and upgrade the HDD (its user upgradeable, a 250GB HDD) wont cost much more than 60

Zetr0
26th November 2009, 18:58
I have to admit Kinnie, you had me doubting my self there!!!

I had a long hard google and then a search on the web page and have a ink to CNet News PS3 Info (http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10313110-1.html)

Does it play PS2 games?
No dice. Like the recent PS3 models, the PS3 Slim does not offer backward compatibility with PS2 game discs. However, it can play older PS1 titles (on disc or via download from the PlayStation Store.)

Are there flash card readers?Again, no. Ports for Compact Flash, Memory Stick, and SD cards existed on the earliest PS3 models, but they were dropped on more recent iterations. If you want to access digital media files, you'll need to put them on a USB drive, burn them to a disc, or access them over the network.

Any change to media support?
No differences that we can discern. The PS3 Slim still plays all manner of Blu-ray movies, DVDs, and CDs, and it doubles as an excellent media streamer from other PCs or DLNA-capable media servers.

I believe that there is an *incompatability* list I will have a lookie =D

scrappysphinx
26th November 2009, 23:50
Well heres my 2 cents worth.
I don't know anything about the internal workings but i do know i have never come accross a problem with any ps1 or ps2 game i've thrown at my 60Gb Ps3, including Final Fantasy VII which works perfectly via my discs and the PS store download.

The only thing i do know is that i read on sony news there was talk of making ps2 titles available via the Playstation Store just like the already available ps1 classics.

The other thing i know is that the titles from the Playstation store are NOT REGION LOCKED.

I know this because i have download both PS1 and PS3 games from both the UK & US PS stores and all are working perfectly on my machine.

Mike

Kin Hell
27th November 2009, 04:10
Well heres my 2 cents worth.
I don't know anything about the internal workings but i do know i have never come accross a problem with any ps1 or ps2 game i've thrown at my 60Gb Ps3, including Final Fantasy VII which works perfectly via my discs and the PS store download. <snip>

Yes Mike, because your PS3 being the 60GB model had the Emotion Chip on the PS3 Mainboard. ;)

The 80GB Models upwards either do not, or it was disabled? The Slim PS3 does not have it on the PCB afaik. I've tried everywhere to find this info & for the life in me, got fed up of ending up in dead end bs forum threads. I even tried to find a reference list to the PS3 model number changes in order to determine just what was what. I'm pretty crap @ searching some stuff like this, so I'm looking forward to Zeets perhaps picking some other notes up. Good luck bud. :thumbsup:

@ Zetr0

Yeah m8, the Slim PS3 wont do PS2 Titles, because it does not have an Emotion Chip on it's PCB. It will do PS1 games, because PS1 games were not written to use the Emotion Chip. This Emotion chip first appeared on PS2's, early PS3's upto what model number?; - & got totally axed on the new Slim PS3.

Kin

Harrison
27th November 2009, 04:56
Slight correction to that info.

Only the Jap and US versions of the original 60GB PS3 contained the hardware emotion engine processor for PS2 compatibility. This chip is not present in any EU PS3's regardless of the version. Instead PS2 support is completely performed on EU PS3's through software emulation.

Why was this the case? The original emotion engine equipped PS3s actually had some compatibility issues with PS2 games, whereas the later thinking for the EU version was that making it completely software based would allow for updates to be included with newer firmware revisions to fix PS2 game compatibility.

It is a bit strange therefore that after making the PS2 compatibility completely software based that is was then ditched for the PS3 slim.

Justin
27th November 2009, 10:09
don't manufacturers ditch old software support in order to allow new ways forward without the old stuff bogging it down?

davideo
27th November 2009, 10:34
So as said earlier in the thread it looks like the easiest way to make this work with the newer PS3s is to buy a PS2 and play them on it.

J.T.Kirk
27th November 2009, 11:06
I tried a couple of PS2 games on my 60GB PS3 and they run smoothly.

Harrison
27th November 2009, 14:34
A PS2 Slim is small enough that it doesn't use up much room and offers full PS2 compatibility. ;)

J.T.Kirk
27th November 2009, 14:44
In the near future, we will have PS4, why bother with PS2 games then? Stick with Amiga m8s. :drinkin:

Kin Hell
27th November 2009, 14:53
It's a proper can of lol-ness all round, but then as most folk know, Sony always happily pedaled in their own cr4p. :nod:

Kin

Harrison
27th November 2009, 17:40
Personally I've been quite impressed with Sony and their games systems. If you consider the number of firmware updates released over the years for both the PSP and PS3, which are not just to stop hacking of the system exploits, but to actually add real useful new features, it is quite impressive. The difference between the original PSP 1.5 firmware and the current one for example is miles apart and nearly a completely different OS.

However with the PS3 slim removing the support for second OS installation, and the removal of PS2 compatibility it is a backwards step for enthusiasts, locking the system down into a specific PS3 only device now.

I can understand the removal of the second OS support as I think hackers were getting close to using it to software hack the PS3 to run backups. For that reason, in the current times of recession, you can understand Sony's logic here. They are not doing well financially as is evident from one of their film studios, MGM, having just gone bankrupt.

But I can't see a reason for the removal of PS2 support. Unless it was held in the firmware and they needed to free space for other features? Not sure.

J.T.Kirk
27th November 2009, 18:03
However with the PS3 slim removing the support for second OS installation, and the removal of PS2 compatibility it is a backwards step for enthusiasts, locking the system down into a specific PS3 only device now.

Look (as we use to say here). What you pay is what you get (in almost all circumstances). So I paid 660 euros back then (PS3 launch date, March 2006), and now the price is about 300-350 euros for the new PS3. Therefore, the difference in the price tag represents what is missing from the new PS3, but also that the prices of electronics/technology-related in general dropping down day by day.

Harrison
27th November 2009, 18:26
Console price reductions over time are more to do with redesigning the components, moving to different methods of fabrication and combining chips into single chip solutions, making the manufacturing costs cheaper, and also the hardware more reliable, so less money is lost through returns. It has happened with every console in the last few generations.

The most amazing evolution for me was the PS2 slim. I couldn't believe how small that was compared to the original PS2 Phat system.

Justin
27th November 2009, 18:49
Personally I've been quite impressed with Sony and their games systems. If you consider the number of firmware updates released over the years for both the PSP and PS3, which are not just to stop hacking of the system exploits, but to actually add real useful new features, it is quite impressive. The difference between the original PSP 1.5 firmware and the current one for example is miles apart and nearly a completely different OS.

I can understand the removal of the second OS support as I think hackers were getting close to using it to software hack the PS3 to run backups. For that reason, in the current times of recession, you can understand Sony's logic here. They are not doing well financially as is evident from one of their film studios, MGM, having just gone bankrupt.

But I can't see a reason for the removal of PS2 support. Unless it was held in the firmware and they needed to free space for other features? Not sure.

because people playing thier old ps2 games doesn't make any money, new console kerching! new games that will only run on said new console, kerching! and what's just round the corner? oh yeah the ps4 KERCHING!!!!

J.T.Kirk
27th November 2009, 18:55
That would be awesome, if we will see it some day: (sorry for the link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcmtDAVM-3A

Harrison
27th November 2009, 19:12
Actually thinking about it, I think it has everything to do with the soon to be launched system to release PS2 games in their download service. If users could just use their old discs, or buy them second hand they they wouldn't need to pay for them again! ;)

Justin
27th November 2009, 19:14
Actually thinking about it, I think it has everything to do with the soon to be launched system to release PS2 games in their download service. If users could just use their old discs, or buy them second hand they they wouldn't need to pay for them again! ;)

oh they'll pay, believe me they'll pay with thier souls...............

Harrison
27th November 2009, 19:15
Better than selling their souls to M$ though!

J.T.Kirk
27th November 2009, 19:16

Now you are talking...

Justin
27th November 2009, 19:16

funny, i thought you ran windows?

Harrison
27th November 2009, 19:22
I do. However unlike the 360 I don't have to pay a monthly subscription to unlock the ability to use the internet access built in, or line their pockets from the royalties they get from every game sale.

Justin
27th November 2009, 19:28
I do. However unlike the 360 I don't have to pay a monthly subscription to unlock the ability to use the internet access built in, or line their pockets from the royalties they get from every game sale.

maybe so, but you do use ms products and pay for them?

J.T.Kirk
27th November 2009, 19:29

I know you are referring to Harrison, but the only ms product that I've paid for it is the OS (well, it was OEM anyway). All the others are just copies.

Justin
27th November 2009, 19:32

I know you are referring to Harrison, but the only ms product that I've paid for it is the OS (well, it was OEM anyway). All the others are just copies.

copies?

J.T.Kirk
27th November 2009, 19:36
Copies.

arnljot
27th November 2009, 20:30
@davideo

PS1 emulation has been present in all PS3 models. Including the PS3 slim. That's why you can buy PS1 games online and play them on the PS3 thorught the Sony PS store.

PS2 emulation was hardware on first gen NTSC consoles, and software on first gen PAL ones.

Then it was dropped, not as a cost cutting meassure, but to boost sales of PS3 games.

@davideo & thread

List of games on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_backward_compatible_PlayStation_2_and_PlayStation_games

Status checker on US PS site:
http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

User has compiled a list:
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=2540772

retro_junkie
27th November 2009, 21:58
Not all PS1 games are compatible... there used to be a list like that on the UK website and there were loads with 'minor issues' and some with 'major'... it was some pretty big games as well (Tomb Raider, Tekken 3 etc) which put me off the PS3 straight away. I loved the fact that the PS2 plays PS1 games (and uses the memory cards, controllers etc) and still probably use it just as much to play PS1 games as PS2. If the PS3 was a real PlayStation, I would have one or would certainly get one at some point... now I'm not sure. If I need to keep my PS2 set up, I can have anything.

I'm sure the real reason for getting rid of the backward compatibility IS so they can charge you to download old games after seeing the success of the Xbox Live Arcade... why would people pay to download when they can get the original disc second hand (with no money going to developers) for less? I think they've made a big mistake though. Maybe it makes short term financial sense (like Gamestation ditching retro when Game took over:mad:) but it wipes out one of the major selling points of sticking with Sony.

btw I do find it bizarre that on a retro-based site like this, people still say things like 'why bother with PS2 when the graphics are better on a PS3?' :Doh:).

scrappysphinx
27th November 2009, 22:52
why would people pay to download when they can get the original disc second hand (with no money going to developers) for less?

Hi retro_junkie,

In my experience the psone games available from the ps store are generally cheaper than the actual discs from ebay or local gamestation.
Take for example my Final Fantasy VII discs, when purchased they cost me around 15 for a used set with minor scratches from ebay, however i have now purchased the same game from the PS store for 7.99 and can guarantee scratches will never be a problem.
My Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exodues cost me nearly 30 for the two from gamestation and both have scratches that make the video jumpy so when those become available i'll be sure to purchase those, although they are already available from the US store at $9.99 each so i may take that option :whistle:.

Mike

Harrison
28th November 2009, 02:30
btw I do find it bizarre that on a retro-based site like this, people still say things like 'why bother with PS2 when the graphics are better on a PS3?' :Doh:).

Very good observation.

I'm with you on this one. I collect RPGs and a large majority of the best were released on the PS1 and PS2. The PS1 alone had around 70 great titles in that genre, and the PS2 continued this with even more. Check out the PS2 list of RPGs we created on CA here (http://forum.classicamiga.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206).

I don't play RPGs for the graphics. Sure it adds to the immersion of the story, but for me the gameplay and storytelling are the most important thing to draw you in and keep you there. And most of the PS1 RPGs are still as good now as they were at release.

And I am replaying the best ones by converting them to run on the PSP. It is amazing how good PS1 games still look when shrunk down to a small screen. Same goes for games from most older platforms. SNES and Amiga games also look great on the PSP and it breaths completely new life into them.

And I don't get the dated graphics comments about PS2 games. Many of the last wave of games for the system looked very nice. Games like FF12 and Rogue Galaxy still look great in my view.

But, then, there have always been those superficial gamers who can't see beyond the visuals of a game to the real content, gameplay and narrative.

J.T.Kirk
28th November 2009, 02:44
PS2 considered as a retro machine? Oh. C'mon...

Harrison
28th November 2009, 03:06
For me, any out of production system can start to be viewed as entering the retro definition.

The PS2 had such a long lifespan, as did the PS1. And because of this, what they managed to achieve from the hardware in the end made the original PS2 releases look like games from a previous generation of console.

J.T.Kirk
28th November 2009, 03:07
It's a matter how everybody defines retro. For others PS2 is a retro machine, but for the rest isn't yet.

retro_junkie
28th November 2009, 13:57
The PS2 is still in production isn't it? The PSone was still officially in production until 2006!

I wasn't saying it is a retro console but like Harrison says, there are some great games on it that are still well worth playing, just as there are on the PS1... and on the Amiga! If I bought a PS3 I wouldn't suddenly ONLY want to play brand new games.... backward compatibility would mean I could play any game I'd bought in the last 15 years (almost... I was probably still buying Amiga games in '94!) on one machine. It's a kind of redundant point here with most people owning many consoles anyway but I only ever have 1 set up in the living room... the Amiga, C64, Acorn Electron etc (and another PS2) fight it out over a portable upstairs.

In fact, I'd argue that the current generation of consoles have yet to come into their own. There are big graphical improvements but more in detail and realism than a huge shift eg from the likes of the Amiga to the first PlayStation which was huge and opened up a different gaming experience. Likewise, the PS2, while not as huge a leap, made games like GTA3 possible - a totally different playing experience to the likes of Driver or the original GTA games. I've yet to see anything on PS3 or 360 that blows me away by any measure other than detailed graphics. I'm sure they'll get there when someone fills up a blu-ray disc!

I agree with the small screen thing as well... I also have a little PSone with the Sony screen and that makes the graphics look great (3rd party screens aren't so good - the resolution is too low and small writing etc becomes illegible!).

davideo
28th November 2009, 14:32
@All

This thread is turning out to be most imformative :coffee:

Thanks for all the input and comments :thumbsup:

As a side note my daughter has her Wii, PS2 and her PS3 all connected to her TV along with a DVD player, Video Recorder and SKY and what a busy mess it looks :oops: No Amiga yet but I'm going to set up an emulator on her laptop for her :D

Harrison
30th November 2009, 18:00
a huge shift eg from the likes of the Amiga to the first PlayStation which was huge and opened up a different gaming experience

I think that was one of the biggest shifting points in gaming history. The jump from 2D sprite based gaming to 3D was big.

Zetr0
30th November 2009, 18:17
AFAIA - PS2 Game Titles are still being made, there is a market for them.

What ever one thinks of $ony, the PS2 has existed for a little over 10 years!!!

In console terms that is epically ancient!!

However I was playing Star Ocean 3 on mine.... its truly amazing what they can get out of this machine, the skill-sets of the coders / thier tools so refined, its almost, nay it is magic =D

J.T.Kirk
30th November 2009, 18:20
Sony's success is definetely the PlayStation series. Without them, I really don't know what would be happened to them.

Harrison
30th November 2009, 18:56
That is true. I don't think they would have survived with just their existing audio and visual markets. Their Playstation market is one of the only profitable one they currently have.

@Zetr0. Very true. The same was also true for the PS1, lasting over 10 years and the games at the end looking nothing like the first ones. Some of the final RPGs on the original system really pushed that little system to the limit, as did games like Gran Turismo.

Star Ocean is a great RPG series. I still love the first one the most though. Suikoden is another. I love RPGs with huge variety of character combinations and multiple endings. Just adds so much to the game.

BTW, have you tired Rogue Galaxy?

I don't think the PS3's life is going to be quite as long, but I could be wrong. I heard Sony are already working on the PS4.

J.T.Kirk
30th November 2009, 19:03
I don't think the PS3's life is going to be quite as long, but I could be wrong. I heard Sony are already working on the PS4.

I don't think so. Remember how PS1 and PS2 started. The same story as always.

Kin Hell
1st December 2009, 03:49
@ Zetr0

Did you find any change/Serial listing info m8y?

Kin

Zetr0
1st December 2009, 09:07
@ Zetr0

Did you find any change/Serial listing info m8y?

Kin

LOL.... sorry my friend, having a manuel moment

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2008/10/29/manuel2.jpg

Keh?

- - - - - - - - - - - -

OH btw... just want you to know, that you were part right with the PS3 and NOT being able to play PSOne games.

With some googling pressure, I found out that the Original european PS3 release could not play either PS1 or PS2 titles, it was only in the last half of 2007 there was a firmware update to enable this emulation on the PS3.

SO now I understand... we, are, were, kinda , ish, somewhat, both right =D

arnljot
1st December 2009, 13:24

I don't think so. Remember how PS1 and PS2 started. The same story as always.

Many say the next console might be a net terminal.

My assumption is that ps4 will be a thin client. And most likely that thin client could be a software based solution for ps3

Big game producers are embracing this idea:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/36665/Square-Enix-Consoles-set-for-extinction

So in many ways, games will move from being products to being services.

Harrison
1st December 2009, 13:57
Both Sony and M$ have a future vision of scrapping physical media as a delivery platform for software, and going completely digitial download. We are seeing an attempt at this from Sony already with the horrible PSP Go, which no one wants to buy.

I think they stood up and took note when Steam was launched on the PC and showed that digital distribution can work, and makes it easy to directly support products with updates and DLC through the delivery platform. However the publishers also thing it helps combat piracy, as having no physical media means no direct disc copying, but I know for a fact it actually makes it easier to pirate, so that logic doesn't works. ;)

But moving to a digital distribution model is only the current future and probably just on current systems. The real future dream they both have is the one of thin client consoles, as arnljot (http://www.amibay.com/member.php?u=368) mentioned, with the games actually hosted and run from server clusters, with gamers just logging into the service to play the games they own.

The problem at the moment, and the downfall of this idea, is that average broadband speeds are way too low to deliver the volume of traffic needed to do that. In the UK for example the average broadband speed is still just 2Mb.

PC developers are also looking at this idea. And I don't see this happening any time soon. They want all of the GPU and CPU processing to take place at the server end. So the PC you use to play games won't need to have an expensive graphics card or CPU. The rendered visuals will then be pipped down to your PC as you play. Personally I can't see this happening. How much server rendering power would be needed for one? When you consider how current gaming PCs are still being pushed to the limit with the latest games. And I can't see the hardware manufacturers liking this either as it would kill their main markets.

Kin Hell
1st December 2009, 14:54
I have to admit Kinnie, you had me doubting my self there!!!

I had a long hard google and then a search on the web page and have a ink to CNet News PS3 Info (http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10313110-1.html)

Does it play PS2 games?
No dice. Like the recent PS3 models, the PS3 Slim does not offer backward compatibility with PS2 game discs. However, it can play older PS1 titles (on disc or via download from the PlayStation Store.)

Are there flash card readers?Again, no. Ports for Compact Flash, Memory Stick, and SD cards existed on the earliest PS3 models, but they were dropped on more recent iterations. If you want to access digital media files, you'll need to put them on a USB drive, burn them to a disc, or access them over the network.

Any change to media support?
No differences that we can discern. The PS3 Slim still plays all manner of Blu-ray movies, DVDs, and CDs, and it doubles as an excellent media streamer from other PCs or DLNA-capable media servers.

I believe that there is an *incompatability* list I will have a lookie =D

Perhaps I wasn't too specific enough, soz. :P

At least we've all kinda had a collective result with all the feedback in here. :thumbsup:

Kin

SkydivinGirl
1st December 2009, 16:16
I still have both my PS1 and PS2. I also have a fat PS3 with the "Partial" backwards compatibility. I believe this model had one of the actual PS2 chips and also software emulation. Of course, I just play the old games on the original consoles.

I still think it's funny that people will pay high dollars for a PS3 with full backwards compatibility instead of buying an old console for much less.

:)

Take care,

Heather

Harrison
1st December 2009, 16:56
That is very true. Pick up an old PS2 for 20, or pay more than a new PS3 Slim is selling for to get hold of an older 60GB PS3. No brainer. Some people just don't like to have multiple systems connected up at once.

Although there was a great save game feature on the PS3 for old PS2 and PS1 games, with virtual memory cards on the HDD, so you no longer needed to hunt around for space on a memory card or buy more when you ran out. That was a nice feature, and made backing up save games easy too.

Justin
1st December 2009, 17:00
That is very true. Pick up an old PS2 for 20, or pay more than a new PS3 Slim is selling for to get hold of an older 60GB PS3. No brainer. Some people just don't like to have multiple systems connected up at once.

Although there was a great save game feature on the PS3 for old PS2 and PS1 games, with virtual memory cards on the HDD, so you no longer needed to hunt around for space on a memory card or buy more when you ran out. That was a nice feature, and made backing up save games easy too.

doesn't pcsx have this feature?

Harrison
1st December 2009, 18:31
Yes, PS2 and PS1 emulators have virtual memory card support, mainly because they can't easily access read cards, much the same as the PS3. However I've still not found a PS2 emulator that actually works properly.

Justin
1st December 2009, 18:56
have you tried the ones over on http://www.ngemu.com/frontpage/index.php ?

scrappysphinx
1st December 2009, 23:02
I got some console bargains today!

I have a friend who has 60gb (Backards Compatible) PS3 and the HDD is dead. He sold it to me this evening (console only) for 20.
Cant wait to pick up a new HDD this weekend and have a play.

I also managed to score a Nintendo Wii with cables but faulty dvd drive off ebay for 3.50 with local pick up.
SD Card and 1 hour later and i'm playing wii games off USB HDD!

Result!

Harrison
2nd December 2009, 01:58
Those were some great bargains. I will have to keep an eye out on ebay and other places for faulty consoles I can get up and running. Not thought of going that approach before.

@JuvUK (http://amibay.com/member.php?u=731) yes mate. And PCSX2 is probably the most successful PS2 emulator so far, but even goes that it's site lists as Playable still don't generally run 100% properly. It is great to have a play around with though.

For emulation though, the most impressive for me recently has been the progress made in Dolphin as it can now run many games flawlessly, including Gamecube and Wii titles such as Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy.