PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Star Wars Trilogy + Dune AC3 Laserdiscs

slk486
6th December 2012, 13:17
Just got sucked back into a bit of Laserdisc nostalgia, so if anyone has a set of the Star Wars Definitive Laserdisc collection (THX/Original movies) and/or an NTSC Dune Widescreen/AC3 edition, please let me know :)

Would also take the individual SW THX releases.

Any other cheap discs also considered - mostly for the cover art.

SkydivinGirl
6th December 2012, 13:32
I had a bunch of LaserDiscs in the early 90's. I even had the CAV (9-Disc) version of the original Star Wars films. Too bad I sold them all a Long Long Time Ago... :roll:

I hope you find a nice set of both. Dune is an excellent movie. :)

Heather

slk486
6th December 2012, 13:45
It is currently the only way to get the original movies with digital surround sound. Only other option is VHS, which would obviously be a step further down :lol: :picard

I still remember first time I saw Dune on my dad's old 14" black and white tv when I was there for the weekend. Great, great movie.

Thanks for the encouragement! :)

Harrison
6th December 2012, 15:40
Didn't the DVD releases of the original versions of the films have digital surround sound?

I would love to own Laserdisc versions of the Star Wars trilogy. Best I could do years ago was an "official" VCD version of the films from Asia. They were made from the Laserdisc version.

I've never actually owned a Laserdisc player as they were never that popular here in the UK, and were restricted to enthusiast home cinema budgets of 1k+ and only time I got to see and watch them was on trips to London, popping into the electronic store near the British Museum, and also in the Science Museum where they actually used to have a Laserdisc copy of Star Wars looping constantly to demonstrate surround sound.

What sound track is on the Laserdiscs? Is it a true separated 5.1 rear channel Dolby digital, dts etc, or a single rear channel like pro-logic?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

demolition
6th December 2012, 16:03
Laserdisc could have AC3 sound, thus true Dolby Digital.

Harrison
6th December 2012, 16:48
Cool. Has been a long time since I looked at the specs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

bazzaq
6th December 2012, 17:36
I have some nice Starwars laserdiscs.. not for sale ;)

You need a demodulator to get the surround sound to work.

They seem to have surround sound, but not 5.1, its dolby pro logic type methinks..

tech info for them here http://www.lddb.com/search.php?search=star+wars&sort=title

The theatrical dvds are 2.0 stereo. I would have to dig mine out to check.

demolition
6th December 2012, 18:04
Yeah, most laserdiscs only have stereo (or pro-logic) sound. AFAIK AC3 was also not originally part of the standard so some earlier players would just play white noise from the AC3 track because it could not recognize it and would just play it like it was stereo.
And like Bazzaq writes, it takes a demodulator to decode it into 'normal' AC3 which a modern receiver would accept.

SkydivinGirl
6th December 2012, 19:52
Oops! I know I started with my comments (:oops:) but let's remember this is a sale thread. Sorry, I should have known not to do this myself.

Good luck in your search!

Heather

AmiNeo
6th December 2012, 23:38
I had a bunch of LaserDiscs in the early 90's. I even had the CAV (9-Disc) version of the original Star Wars films. Too bad I sold them all a Long Long Time Ago... :roll:

I hope you find a nice set of both. Dune is an excellent movie. :)

Heather

... Now they could be in a galaxy far far away... :lol:

I may have some around in storage somewhere. Will have a look :thumbsup:

slk486
6th December 2012, 23:57
There are no original releases on DVD, only fiddled editions.
The Definitive Collection is THX remastered in true DD5.1 - this is an NTSC ony release afaik.
The later Laserdiscs mostly had AC3 or DTS.

Hope that clears it up? ;)

AmiNeo
7th December 2012, 00:36
Sadly mine went a while ago apparently! :(

And there were original versions on DVD, at least here in the UK... I own the editions that had them. They are double disc, one disc original theatrical and second disc edited and remastered. Limited edition though!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Episode-IV-Theatrical/dp/B000FMH8UI

slk486
7th December 2012, 06:38
Yes, looks like they actually were released technically. However they were sourced on those laserdiscs, meaning a digitally compressed version, which is probably why i dismissed them as totally nonexisting :lol: cheers though - actually had no idea!

Edit: I'm also completely lying of course, because the only Star Wars releases with 5.1 sound are the Special Editions :oops:

slk486
7th December 2012, 11:08
Also willing to take the individual THX remastered original CLV LD's!