Floppy drive says ( dfo:???? ) ? Any idea how to fix ?

chrisunderwood

Banned
Country
England
Region
County durham
External floppy seems to read a disk and clicks as normal but every disk comes up as ( dfo:????? ) someone must know how to fix it ?
Lol I hope .

Try a cleaning disk or cleaning the head with ipa - if that fails then a new disk drive maybe required .

The cables are correct ?

It could be the drive belt. They have a tendancy to rot away.

Dave G :cool:

Right il look into the drive belt also ! I'm guessing it'll be like an elastic baby type thing similar to modern cd open close belts? Lol maybe not but thanks again for an alternative if the head cleaning does not work . Iv got some reading up to do on drive belts and head cleaning , I will let you know if I have any luck . I always appreciate any help thank you both .

Sometimes I have the same problem with both my A1200 and my A600 (and the external floppies too). It looks like they start searching for a disk and because they don't find anything they put the icon with the question marks on the desktop. I would like to resolve this annoying "behavior". If you have any info please let us know...

Are we talking about a floppy drive or a reel to reel tape deck? ;).

When did amiga floppy drives have belts?
Every one I have seen, is direct drive.

Might sound like a stupid question, but have you tried formatting a disk?
Heads could be out of alignment, so formatting will work.

Just to be clear, are you talking about internal DF0: drive. As you dont make it very clear.

things to check

floppy cable, has it come loose/cracked inside/fitted the right way round?

have you cleaned the heads? try a floppy drive cleaner disk

is it the original floppy drive? escom did pc type stuff and sometimes you need to mod the mobo to get them to work

is there a massive dust bunny living in the drive?

I have taken the drive to bits and found that :
The heads are functioning correctly ,
No matter weather there's a disk in or not if you press all the parts to fool the drive into thinking there's a disk in there - is still shows up as dfo:????

I have found the problem -

After putting it side by side with a friends drive its clear that The DRIVE MOTOR does not spin the disk hardly !

???? I'm guessing new drive time ????

---------- Post added at 14:09 ---------- Previous post was at 13:10 ----------

Are we talking about a floppy drive or a reel to reel tape deck? ;).

When did amiga floppy drives have belts?
Every one I have seen, is direct drive.

Might sound like a stupid question, but have you tried formatting a disk?
Heads could be out of alignment, so formatting will work.

Just to be clear, are you talking about internal DF0: drive. As you dont make it very clear.

Yes it's an amiga floppy it says ( dfo:???? ) on workbench , yes there is no belt drive lol as I found it is direct drive, no wonder I cudnt find anything about the belt . (( it is defo the drive not spinning the disk ))

@FOL & chrisunderwood

I'm sure that when I had a problem with one of my external drives a few months ago it had a drive belt (black rubber band) in it driving the mechanism.

Time to have a little investigate further :shhh:

Dave G :cool:

Hey different makes models are probibly made different !
Maybe some have and some don't ... (y)

Maybe Paula was damaged by a leaking capacitor.

---------- Post added at 15:58 ---------- Previous post was at 15:54 ----------

[/COLOR]She's fine !
My akiko , Alice , Lisa , Paula are all mint.

---------- Post added at 16:02 ---------- Previous post was at 15:58 ----------

Maybe Paula was damaged by a leaking capacitor.

How is it relevant to a broken floppy ? Other floppy works 100%

It's the floppy drive motor on my floppy external df0: drive that is not working, other drives work fine .

Back
Top Bottom