Power Mac G4 PSU

tonyyeb

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
East Yorkshire
Hi all

Had a quick google and think i've found the answer but would like someone to confirm. Will an Apple Power Mac G4 take a standard PC ATX PSU?

Cheers!

It certainly looks like it. Of course, it's not impossible that the wiring is different, but the connector looks the same. The physical unit looks about the size of a normal ATX power supply too, but you'd need to make sure the AC input/output and fan matches up with the cutouts on the case (Assuming you're using an original Power Mac tower)

As keropi says, a piccy is worth a thousand words, so here's three:

g4mac1.jpg

g4mac2.jpg

g4mac3.jpg

Hmmm, it looks like it is the case then. Might have to bid on the Power Mac G4 with dead PSU afterall.

UPDATE

Looks like it might not be a normal ATX power supply:

This website shows how you can mod an ATX PSU to do the job, though:

http://www.atxg4.com/gige-da.html

Just checked mine, the ATX-like connector is 22 pins, not the standard ATX 20. They're definitely not directly compatible.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

Hmmm, I think ill still bid for it as a PSU hack isn't the most difficult thing in the world to do. Thanks for the heads up!

Hmmm, I think ill still bid for it as a PSU hack isn't the most difficult thing in the world to do. Thanks for the heads up!

Sure. I wish you the best of luck, those Power Macs are nice machines to own. At least now you can approach it with the full facts. :) Let me know how you get on with it.

I really must have another look at my retro Macs at some point, see what cool stuff I can make them do. :)

Damn I missed it! £13 it went for!! Got distracted!

One great new use for your old G4's is MorphOS! ;)

That was the plan, but I couldn't make it boot MorphOS 2.4 -- It is supposed to work with Mac Minis, but nothing has been said about Power Mac G4 towers though. Still, there's always MorphOS 2.5 to come!

Yes, Power Mac G4 is the next "target" for MorphOS.

Back
Top Bottom