How-To

noxenlux

Country
Beaverton, Oregon
So as my kids are getting to computing age (5 and 6) I was hoping to set up my amiga 500 for them. However knowing kids and their curiosity I was hoping one of the guru's here could help out with setting up a child(ish) proof system. For the most part I need to know how to restrict them from deleting files or folders without permission. I am open to suggestions. Thanks guys I appreciate the help.

Shawn.

From a CLI window type "protect DH0: " (or the name you gave to boot HD partition).

But if you are telling about floppies, since the original A500 doesn't have a built-in SCSI/IDE controller, just slide the protection tab to the position you see the hole. Tell them to keep the floppies at they are.

BTW: you are from Beaverton, land of Doomy? Kick his back* for me, please.

*That's not was the word I really want to use, but this is a familiar site.

sadly yes the land of doomy... I am just going to load as many games as I can to the HDD that I have for the 500. Now is that CLI command persistent, or do I have to do it everytime I boot up?

Shawn

Nice gesture for your kids m8. (y)

Although I believe a CD32 (a lot of games, no need to worry about deletions) or a CDTV (a lot of multimedia cds for teaching etc) will be more handy.

Under KS/WB1.3 there is also the "lock" command.

But just like "protect", if your kids learn it... it´s not much of protection.

Wearing my Sysadmin hat, I will say "Keep good backups!" that way, whatever goes wrong, you can just restore from backups. I'm not sure how easy that will be on an A500, I guess either HDBackup to floppies, or attach a CD writer (makecd is now freely available and works a treat!)

sadly yes the land of doomy...
Shawn

[/Agent Smith voice on]
Ah, my nemesis, the red-necked Mr. Campbell; how is he keeping these days....??
[/Agent Smith voice off]

:LOL:

Nice gesture for your kids m8. (y)

Although I believe a CD32 (a lot of games, no need to worry about deletions) or a CDTV (a lot of multimedia cds for teaching etc) will be more handy.

Thats a great suggestion Phantom, I will keep those in mind for a later date. As of right now the A500 is my only option.

Under KS/WB1.3 there is also the "lock" command.

But just like "protect", if your kids learn it... it´s not much of protection.

Very true.

Wearing my Sysadmin hat, I will say "Keep good backups!" that way, whatever goes wrong, you can just restore from backups. I'm not sure how easy that will be on an A500, I guess either HDBackup to floppies, or attach a CD writer (makecd is now freely available and works a treat!)

I was hoping for an easy way... How about hiding the Main Drive, you know the old saying "if they cant see it, they cant break it."

sadly yes the land of doomy...
Shawn

[/Agent Smith voice on]
Ah, my nemesis, the red-necked Mr. Campbell; how is he keeping these days....??
[/Agent Smith voice off]

:LOL:
After a run in with Mr. Hans involving an amiga3k I decided that it would be best that didnt have any more dealings with him.

Thanks guys

Shawn

After a run in with Mr. Hans involving an amiga3k I decided that it would be best that didnt have any more dealings with him.

Thanks guys

Shawn

Unfortunately, Doomy's reputation precedes him... and it seems you have been one of his unfortunate victims - there are a lot of them around. Some of his adverts are comedy gold though; I remember one for an Atari ST, where he said "I always washed my hands before using this computer." :ROTFLOL2:

He tried to sign up here and lasted about 0.3 nanoseconds; unfortunately, I wasn't the moderator that dealt with him, although I would have enjoyed banning him and his children's children.....:|

@noxenlux

I'd go with the backup route.

Problem with this route is "how".

CD:
Very unpractical on A500. I don't know if any CD burning software will work on KS1.3, perhaps if yours is updated to KS2.x you'll have some luck.

Anyhow, with a 68000 you'll be dedicating the last of your good years burning CDs, as authoring CD images on an A500 won't be snappy...

I assume it's a SCSI interface you've got on that puppy. Then one option is to get a second storage which you can keep in a drawer somewhere. This is the easiest solution. But it can be hard to find a small drive that your SCSI interface will accept.

Another option is to get a cheap WinUAE supported SCSI card for your PC. Then you can turn a working Amiga HD into a WinUAE hardfile and back any time. This is the prefered route IMHO, and you'll soon figure out a lot of other fun ways to use such a feature...

Pending on what SCSI controller it is the HD don't to be "humble": I have an AddHard (courtesy of my friend Zetr0:bowdown:) in one of mines and it have a 2Gib HD on it (noisy as hell, BTW).:banghead:

I'm getting another controller in a few days. A new photo boot entry waiting to happen...;)

That's a matter of experimentation: try the SCSI drive you have at hand, if it refuses to work/recognize, change for a smaller capacity one.

Some older SCSI controllers just accept HD's up to 512Mb. Be warned.

BTW: hooking a SCSI CD drive externally to the controller and using a CD file system/patchwill make the unit run CDTV software (but not a cold boot, nor games). Only the A570 will run CDTV titles at boot time.

Back
Top Bottom