Status
Not open for further replies.

zxdragon777

Country
united kingdom
Region
lancashire , bury , ( near manchester )
Hi
Got a Pcmcia CD Rom Drive that's all well and good but cannot read backup cd's for stored infomation my original OS3.5 works fine and i've tested some original AF cd's ok but backups to no avail
Any suggestions or some other kit i could use Please Advise away
Cheers for the great site
Andy

Re: CD ROM DRIVE HELP REQUIRED

Hi,
it sounds as though it's an old drive, that does not support (i.e. read) CD-Rs. A newer drive would possibly solve the problem, but I assume that by PCMCIA, you mean that it runs via a Squirrel ? and getting hold of a suitable SCSI drive may be a problem.

If this is the case, then PM me, and I'll look through what spare drives I have, and see if I can help. (I'm not far from you, so getting one to you is no prob. :)

I'd ask: How have you created your backup disks? Were they made on an Amiga, or a PC?

Old drives that have slow read speeds such as 2x, 4x or 8x have trouble reading CD-Rs that have been written at fast speeds. Make sure you burn your CDs at the slowest speed you can. 4x speed writing is best if you have the option available, but 8x normally also works ok for most drives.

Also make sure you burn the discs using the ISO9660 file system and not the Joliet one as older Amiga CD drivers do not support Joliet encoding and cannot read it.

If this doesn't work then try replacing your current CD drivers on your Amiga with IDEFIX'97. This package supports SCSI as well as IDE drives and interfaces and for most drives does also support Joliet encoding which allows you to preserve the long filenames of Amiga files (otherwise if using ISO9660 it will truncate file names to the old DOS 8.3 format, in which case the best solution is to lha the files and unlha them once they are on the Amiga).

If you wanted to create CDs with native Amiga CD file structure support then you would need to use the Rock Ridge file system with Amiga Extensions. The Amiga CD writing programs MasterISO, Make CD and Fryin Pan all support this as standard.

Managed to finally get around the problem with thanks you may now close this post please cheers Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom