PDA

View Full Version : Suitable monitor for direct VGA?

RedDaemonFox
18th December 2009, 02:16
Okay, I have acquired an RGB to VGa adapter from ebay, and so I fired it up in my A1200 and tried displaying on my Dell TFT. no dice, out of range. So, whats a good VGA lCd monitor to use this form of direct VGA? I have been using the monochrome composite on my 1200, but every time I set a VGA only/dbl ntsc mode, I get an out of memory error, but its only 412k being used out of 2mb chip? I was looking at getting an NEC multisync, but any advice before I proceed?

Kin Hell
18th December 2009, 03:36
Were there no instructions or specifications with the item you bought?
You'll need to know the Minimum & Maximum sync rates of your adapter on the VGA side of it, to know what make of LCD to get so you have the right Sync Range.

If no go on specs, look up the component part number via Google. ;)

Kin

*edit* Is it the same affair as Hessu tested for us in this link?: http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=3975

AndyLandy
18th December 2009, 08:35
I have an Iiyama Prolite H430 17" TFT monitor. With an Amiga->VGA cable, it can display just about any mode the Amiga wants to throw at it, even the interlaced modes look acceptable. It even has a Composite and S-Video input, so you can use one of those (of course, the VGA adapter gives much better quality) -- The only gotcha is that you sometimes get ghosting effects when you change the resolution, and you need to turn the screen off and on again, but it's a perfectly workable solution.

jvdbossc
18th December 2009, 11:29
Some workbench modes do work at my Yiama Vision Master Pro 510, it is not multiscan, (pc world monitor) but accepts some modes.. But do not like to switch over all the time, so bought a scandoubler.

keropi
18th December 2009, 11:36
Some workbench modes do work at my Yiama Vision Master Pro 510, it is not multiscan, (pc world monitor) but accepts some modes.. But do not like to switch over all the time, so bought a scandoubler.

^ that or having an lcd/tv monitor via scart is the RIGHT solution, using anything else is just asking for trouble...

voxel
18th December 2009, 11:59
hi :-)

all these new tft monitors need to be fed with 60 Hz video at a minimum :-(

that's why our old 50 Hz flicker-fixers are unable to display on it.

there is a solution btw, and it's the brand new Indivision Flicker fixers :-)
it were developped especially for addressing the lack of FF/SD for our beloved Amigas and to be compatible with that new flat screens :-)

Please note btw that the Indivision 1200 is sold out for the moment, versions for A4000/CD32 and ECS (A500,A2000,A3000 (and A600 with A603 memory expansion) are availlable for purchase from selected Amiga store (like Relec.ch or Voxel Amiga Shop in France (me :-D) :-)

the A1200 one is due to a new production run next year :-)

Amigalement,
Jean-François voxel :-)

keropi
18th December 2009, 12:21
that is why it is highly recommended to use an lcd/tv monitor and connect the amiga there via scart. 50hz is NO PROBLEM then :)

RedDaemonFox
18th December 2009, 14:46
its not a ff/sd just converts the signal from RGB to VGA, directly. I do have an LCD/TV monitor, but it offers only RF for analog signals and Componnent to HDMI for HD signals. I'll try the VGA input tonight after class. EDIT: here it is http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290376944833&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Kin Hell
18th December 2009, 15:45
Dreamy, ...that useless m8. You will still need a monitor capable of handling the Amiga Native Frequencies with that affair. All you have bought is a gender changer.

Kin

keropi
18th December 2009, 18:09
Dreamy, ...that useless m8. You will still need a monitor capable of handling the Amiga Native Frequencies with that affair. All you have bought is a gender changer.

Kin

as always, 101% correct

RedDaemonFox
18th December 2009, 23:01
I know, I don't want a FF/SD, yet because I'm getting a 3000 and just got a 2500 so my funds are strapped. Winter break is on so I have plenty of time.

Kin Hell
19th December 2009, 02:56
@ keropi

The thread title needs changing if it stays open. Tis' prolly best this thread is closed. ;)

Kin

keropi
19th December 2009, 09:50
yep, it has served it's purpose...