Fixing my "new" 2500

RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901
I recently bought an Amiga 2500, barebones with just a PSU, Floppy and mobo from Redrumloa on Amiga.org. He said there was a replacement battery fitted, but the original left that evil greenish acid. The sound, which doesn't work, is probably either a bad paula or CIA. I have dabbed IPA on the residue, but it rips my q-tips. What is a better "cloth" to clean it?

Attachments

• IMG_2104.jpg
    IMG_2104.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1
I use a paintbrush for those tasks, dip in the IPA, then give the PCB a good going over.

@dreamy

1. Remove motherboard
2. Place Motherboard in Dishwasher
3. Set Dishwasher on Econonmy Cycle or Intense (DO NOT DO A DRYING CYCLE)*
4. Place Wet board in Airing Cupboard (where the hot water tank is) for 12 - 24 hours*

*you can speed up this process by adding a fan in the room.

Make sure that motherboard is 100% dry and no water is present make sure you inspect the sockets!

if you dont have access to a dish washer then I suggest diluted car-screen wash (the alcohol kind) and an electric toothbrush.

be libereral!

Okay. Do I add soap? my dishwasher uses the liquid type, not powder. Also, this isn't high on my current list of priorities, so a few days. Should I remove the chips?

How did you go with this? All washed and cleaned?

any filling for dishwasher will do (common calgon tabs in my case), just don use those salty polishing finishers :) ive not tried those but i have bad feeling about salt on pcb

My DW uses liquid soap, the "Cascade" type. I just recleaned it after learning the leakage is alkaline. I just got a new camera, so I'll take pics when I do wash it. I am also going to loosen the chips a bit in their sockets to ease drying after the wash, then put it in my hot water cabinet as the Flux Master said! Then I can set about replacing Paula and restoring her to former shape. Since its a 2500, an 030 card, HDD controller and some repaint/retrobrite treatment is in order, among the various touches like adding a coin battery slot, CF drive and such.

Well, here are the pics of my result, the DW will occur during the weekend. I used white vinegar after learning the price for iodophor. The acid is neutralized, and the DW will clean the surface solids. I have no need to check the tracks/vias, none were affected by it and I can safely assume that the no sound issue is caused by Paula, not the leakage Here are a few things I've learned about this:

White Vinegar won't clean all the residue off.
Zetr0 gives the best advice
This 2500 will be a nice system after restored and should fetch a good price

BTW, the A3000 in the pictures is my baby, the most powerful miggy I have currently.

Attachments

• 100_0205.jpg
    100_0205.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_0206.jpg
    100_0206.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_0208.jpg
    100_0208.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 1
is the a2500 like the a1500 is the a2500 us only like the a1500 is uk only it looks just like the a2000 inside and out

james

@Jimbob

I think the A2500 was also available with a UNIX option too.

The A1500 was a UK only rebadged A2000, 2 Floppy drives & no HD Controller.
By carefully peeling away the Black A1500 sticker on the front away, you will find a nice new shiny A2000 Label underneath

TC :)

Yeah, they were, but this doesn't have the 2500UX designation, it really is a 2000 ECS model, just a special package. I need to fund a trip to guatemala tho, so this will probably get the back burner until I secure the funds for the trip.

nice system

nice system

a nice system, interesting info above:roll:

there is some method for using a ps/2 keyboard on 1
A1200 do not know were to find it anymore, once tested and it worked, but the soldering got loose, so i used the well know adapters afterwards..

Back
Top Bottom