Copying floppies in WB 3.0

RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901
Okay, I have the contents of an ADf from my PC UAE on my 2.5GB CF drive in my 1200. I am usig WB 3.0 and would like to write the folder to my floppy in drive (amiga formatted 880K DSDD disk) How to do it so its in the root of the floppy and not in this instance: df0: WB3.0/WB3.0 and like this? df0: WB3.0 including the non icon folders?

@dreamy

The Amiga has both a Device Name and a Volume Name:

you can have DF0: as the device, but the volume can be anything.

Once you have formatted your disk, give it a Volume Name: somthing like "DataDisk"

then all you need to do is "copy" TO "DataDisk:"

remember the Amiga is case sensative.

you can improve the speed of all this by.

1. create a directory called "C" in ram
2. place the "copy" command, or just copy C from workbench
3. type "execute ram:c/copy" with respected delimitation
4. if you copied "C" to "RAM:" you can then Assign that for use - "Assign C: RAM:C/"

any command you use now will execute from ram so that it wont have to hit the WorkbenchDisk in DF0:

thus it can just copy the files direct to "DataDisk" without needing to keep changing the disk.

hope that helps.

NB there is an easier method using a RAD drive, but we will hit on those topics later =D

Okay, you lost me. I am a complete n00b in amigados and everything you said after naming the floppy lost me. So, what is the exact syntax for the copy command? Lets say i've put my folder, WB into the ramdisk. So, copy the contents of WB to the root of device df0?

Just to let you know, my CF drive is whats bootable, it seems, I gave the impression of vice-versa

So, what's the deal? You have a folder that you'd like to copy on to a floppy? Something like
Code:
copy #? DF0:
is probably what you're looking for.

Open a CLI and write then (assuming that you are on RAM:):)

Code:
SYS:
Copy All to DF0:

Open a CLI and write then (assuming that you are on RAM:):)

Code:
SYS:
Copy All to DF0:

Did that, no dice on what i want. Let me try to explain again:

I have a folder in a partition called Media. It is here: Media/Workbench 3.0
I have a floppy with a volume name of Workbench3.0. I want the CONTENTS, not the folder itself, to transfer to the floppy. I am doing a backup of Workbench 3.0, as my miggy didn't come with the actual floppy. So, that command shown above is fine, because putting it into RAM makes it faster, but what command to dump the contents (including the unseen folders like c, libs, etc.) of Workbench 3.0 to RAM?

@dreamy

Code:
CLI> copy #? SYS: DF0:

that should work...

you dont need to type CLI> thats just to point out you are executing a command from CLI =)

Code:
Copy "Media:Workbench 3.0/#?" ALL QUIET TO DF0:

Try that.

@dreamcast

Glad to hear it.

"" means than the filepath can contain spaces.

#? is a wildcard pattern. # is the amigas version of the MS-DOS *. The ? is a character wildcard.

ALL is the same as #?, only recursive. QUIET means "shut the f..." Means that it copies faster, as printing to the screen will slow down the process, as it's synchronous in AmigaDOS :-S

TO is not needed, but ut just makes it all more explicit.

The other way to do this in a GUI would be to select "Show all files", "Select all", and then copy/paste. But the command above is faster.

Since I cannot figure out what hardware uberfreak has posted in the hardware compo thread, I made this screenshot guide to you, how to do it in Workbench.

First, WB standard mode for a folder with no icons. Example is Locale disk.
Wb30.png

Then right click the mouse button and select "Window > Show > All files"
Wb30_2.png

The result is that files which doesn't have any icons will become visible in Workbench.
Wb30_3.png

Then with the window active which represents the disk or drawer of which content you want to copy, select "Window > Select Contents".
Wb30_4.png

The result is that all icons in that window is toggled to the selected mode, now enters the drag and drop action. Holding down a shift key and left amiga mouse key, drag the icon collection over the volume or drawer where you want the files. Release the mose, and the files will be copied. Here's a shot of what it'll look like.
Wb30_5.png

A WORD OF WARNING
If you do this withing the same device or volume, files will be moved - not copied!!.

Perhaps there is a modifier key that'll copy files instead of moving the files when doing it within the same volume, but I cannot at this moment recall it.

Back
Top Bottom