Not open for further replies.

sprcorreia

Rating - 100%
136   0   0
Country
Portugal
Region
Porto
I'm looking for Tualatin PIII-S 1400 for my retro rig. I don't know for sure if my motherboard supports the Server version, so it has to be really cheap. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking for Tualatin PIII-S 1400 for my retro rig. I don't know for sure if my motherboard supports the Server version, so it has to be really cheap. Thanks.

I have an extra Tualatin Celeron 1400 if you're interested? Not as fast as a 1400 Tualatin PIII, but it runs on a 100MHz bus so you could tweak the bus speed and multipliers for a nice overclock (in theory at least) ;). The Tualatin Celeron is basically a Coppermine PIII with a die shrink and speed increase (as far as i know).

What motherboard do you have?

It's not exactly a Coppermine remake, apart from the lower operating voltage the bus signalling level is also changed and as such a compatible chipset revision is required. The microcode is also different, so the BIOS must be compliant as well.

Supporting chipset revisions usually have a "T" somewhere to show the support for the Tualatin core, e.g. Via Apollo Pro 266 vs 266T etc.

I have an extra Tualatin Celeron 1400 if you're interested? Not as fast as a 1400 Tualatin PIII, but it runs on a 100MHz bus so you could tweak the bus speed and multipliers for a nice overclock (in theory at least) ;). The Tualatin Celeron is basically a Coppermine PIII with a die shrink and speed increase (as far as i know).

What motherboard do you have?

I have a QDI Advance 10T. I have a Celeron 1400 and it's currently running a PIII-1200 Tualatin, i just want to max it.

---------- Post added at 22:30 ---------- Previous post was at 22:29 ----------

It's not exactly a Coppermine remake, apart from the lower operating voltage the bus signalling level is also changed and as such a compatible chipset revision is required. The microcode is also different, so the BIOS must be compliant as well.

Supporting chipset revisions usually have a "T" somewhere to show the support for the Tualatin core, e.g. Via Apollo Pro 266 vs 266T etc.

You're right. Mine has VIA 694T chipset.

I meant as it runs on a 100MHz bus and has 256k full speed L2 cache (like the PIII Coppermine). The older Celeron had only 128k L2 cache. Operating voltage is between 1.475v and 1.575v with the Tualatin Celeron which is lower then the Coppermine thanks to a die shrink.

I don't think there were too many 370 boards that fully supported Tualatin CPUs (some were quite unstable iirc)... And then you had to find a heatsink that wasn't too tight as the Tualatin chips had a heatspreader fixed to them (which raises the overall height of the CPU). I don't think Intel boards had a 'T' in the model name, that might just be a VIA thing. I think Intel had the 'B-stepping' 815 chipset for Tualatin CPUs.

I personally wouldn't touch a VIA chipset, not unless you need a 370 board with ISA slots. VIA based boards were known for their AGP issues, compatibility issues and stability issues back then.... Of course there will be some people who don't have issues with them and not all their chipsets were that bad.

@sprcorreia
694T is fine but check that you have the latest BIOS and that it properly supports the 1.4 Ghz P-III, as IIRC it's a different stepping from the 1.13 / 1.26 GHz ones and requires different microcode (will probably still boot fine, but better be on the safe side).

@Powerpie5000
VIA's P-III era chipsets were just as stable as Intels - only drawback was slightly worse PCI performance. Incompetent designs can kill any board, VIA or Intel or whatever based. VIA fell victim in this case to the lower price of its offerings, "helping" most motherboard makers decide to cut costs on all aspects of the board. But a properly designed board had no envy for an Intel one - my former Asus CUV4X (2000-2002) and Iwill DVD266u-RN (2002-2010) are prime examples and I can go on for days on this, but I'm already off-topic :smile:

I personally wouldn't touch a VIA chipset, not unless you need a 370 board with ISA slots.

The ugly truth! I need an ISA slot for sound/MIDI. I'll probably just set aside this and stick with the P2B and the P3 1GHz i have. I was just curious to check how much i could squeeze from a faster P3, and the fastest is the 1400, 512KB.

That's an ugly lie, not truth :p
But anyway, since you have a P2B which is very excellent and typically very stable at 133 MHz, it's worth checking out which motherboard revision you have (later revisions go down to 1.3 volts, so they support Tualatin Vcore - also there's support for the special 133 MHz - 1/4 PCI clock mode for the BX chipset as well). IIRC the latest BIOS for these boards includes (unofficial) Tualatin support, so with a suitable slotket adapter that supports Tualatin signalling (Powerleap? Upgradeware? maybe others too?) you can run a Tualatin with the audience-favourite BX chipset (y)
Just check if your board revision supports all that, if so that would actually be a very agreeable way to run a Tualatin.

EDIT: See here, apparently P2B rev 1.12 or later is ok, also see here for Upgradeware's adapter (BIN).

Last edited:
That's an ugly lie, not truth :p

I'm almost certain the only Tualatin compatible 370 boards with an ISA slot are the ones using the Via Apollo Pro 133T chipset, correct me if i'm wrong ;). I'm using a Powerleap iP3/T adapter and Tualatin Celeron 1400 with my trusty old intel 440BX board (for DOS and Win95/98 gaming) :). I actually have a spare Powerleap iP3/T adapter with another Celeron 1400 too!... These are the best slot-1 to 370 adapters imo.

Nope, you're not wrong (at least that I know of), in fact QDI's model is the only one I'm aware of (the rest opting to ditch the ISA slot or replace it with that AMR one).
I just read the "ugly truth" part as referring to VIA chipsets' being second grade and not as referring to the ISA slot presence :Doh::oops:
I'll agree about the Powerleap adapter, with one of those one could have the ultimate socket370 system as at 133 MHz the BX chipset had higher RAM bandwidth than the Apollo, plus the already higher PCI performance, and in the case of the P2B-D there was also SMP goodness, yummy.
In fact I think the only way to get a faster s370 desktop system was with a dual i840 chipset Tyan slot1 board plus the SMP capable Powerleap adapters, yeah right @ the price of Rambus :LOL:.

I have a 1266 (512 cache) tualatin cpu if you want it.

Some mainboards supporting this cpu are

Via 694T chipsets (example QDI Advance 10T)

Asus TUSL (t indicates tualatin)

There is also Asus CUSL (c indicates coppermine)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom