Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Essex
Hi All,

I will try and explain...:picard

You know the power cord that comes from the Colour monitor on the Amstrad & powers the machine, its on its way out (I have to switch the screen on about 10x to get an image)

Has anyone got this part or selling a Colour Monitor in the Essex area?

Yer that's right, it power the whole unit

im a bit confused as to what your looking for,the monitor doesent power the computer does it?

do you mean the power cord for the monitor?

are you sure the on/off button isent broken for the monitor,as you have to press it multiple times to turn on the screen?

What would I have to do with end I chop off, put a plug on it?

What would I have to do with end I chop off, put a plug on it?

From your initial post, I had assumed this lead:
curlycord.png
which powers the Amstrad base unit is broken.

This is why I suggested cutting off the old lead and replacing it with one that is good (the ebay link)

If it is your monitor that is on it's way out, as mentioned above, you can either build your own scart connector and power adapter (requires basic soldering skills), or source a compatible 5v psu and scart lead from fleabay.

Which model Amstrad is it you are using? If using a 664 or 6128, there is another slight complication that you need a 12v supply for the disk drive.

The model is the 6128 but its the same when I hook up my 464. It's like the power supply inside the monitor that powers the keyboard is duff. The monitor is great & comes on everytime, it just don't keyboard doesn't come on. Althought the keyboard light is on its a blank blue screen. I switch it on/off via the monitor & on the 10th time it finally works

thats why i think its repairable,as it does come on eventually.
so i dont think its the cable between the two.

have you got any switchcleaner? (it comes in a spray can with a tube)

You mean the monitor power switch could do with a clean?

I think its like an old car, you turn the key & it nearly starts, then you try again & eventually it fires up!

I thought it was something to do with the battery (internal powersupply in the screen) if like in the monitor not get the full zap when I hit the power switch

There is something worrying me about this - trying 10 times then it magically works sounds more like a dodgy component in the chain. The fact the Amstrad almost boots up, giving you a blue screen, but nothing more also suggests not enough power.

When you turn the monitor off and on, do you move any of the other wires?

Have you tried turning just the Amstrad keyboard off then back on, does this work quicker or more often? Have you tried leaving the monitor on to warm up a bit then plugging the Amstrad in? Finally, does the floppy drive light on the 6128 glow (it'll be faint) when at the Blue Screen?

With 2 Amstrads displaying the same symptoms, it almost certainly is the monitor, specifically the 5v circuit. I know it gets mentioned a lot, but perhaps one of the capacitors or something similar in the monitor is on it's way out?

If you want to stick with original hardware how about considering MP1/2 modulator to power up CPC?

Have you tried posting on the cpc wiki forums? http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/index.php

Bryce, or someone may be able to help you diagnose the problem...

I post here too :)

It sounds like the 5V regulator circuitry is probably starting to die.

I assume it's a CTM-644 you have (6128 + colour). The first thing I'd check is how many volts are coming out of the 5V plug when it's turned on for the first time. Chances are the output capacitor ( C518 ) is starting to leak. It's a 470µF 10V electrolytic capacitor. Change this and your monitor will most likely work normally again.

Bryce.

Hi Bryce, I spoke to you a few times over on CPC & you helped me no end creating connects for it (CTM to Scart)

Any idea on how easy it is to get to that cap & where abouts on the board it be located?

It's a pretty standard part, you should be able to get it anywhere that sells components. The capacitor is located directly behind the header where the 5V output cable is connected. It has a polarity, so make sure you solder it the right way around.

Bryce.

And, it goes without saying, be very careful when opening a monitor... There are some very high voltages inside which can hurt a lot if you accidentally touch the wrong bit inside. These can remain for a long time after powering off the monitor. If unsure, search for info about discharging a monitor before getting your screwdrivers out. Then search some more.

(y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom