A1200 upgrade ideas??

Cuppa-T

Country
England
Region
South West
I'm not sure where to post to ask,
Im just getting back into the Amigas again, and i was wondering if there are there any basic upgrades I can do to my amiga 1200? Just to start off with? And is it also possible to get a cd rom working on the amiga too?

Thanks

Absolutely! Trade it in for an A4000D/T :)

The Surf Squirrel is an external SCSI interface for connecting to a CDROM. I'd add some RAM +\- a more capable CPU and a hard drive or CF interface.

Hi bdb, thanks for replying, I have a cf card hard drive installed, and I am looking into a reasonably priced accelerator with ram but I'm not sure what to go for,

I have found a Buffered IDE interface for the Amiga A1200 with allows the use of cd rom drives, so I may try that, but I'm not sure if its compatible with the cf hard drive..

if its a buffered ide it wont matter if the drive is compatible or not just stick it on the secondary channel.

@ roy_bates this is the eide interface I mentioned, http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=194 would any cd rom work with this interface? And thanks for your reply.

@fitzsteve I've had a look at the links you posted and the accelerators look good, amigakit are still out of stock, I think I will wait until they have stock, but I've also got to get permission from the misses first :( lol, would the ACA 1232 Accelerator with 128MB RAM make my Amiga much faster? Thanks a lot.

I've got another question, I'm after workbench 3.1 is there anywhere I can download it until I get my hands on the original?

My personal advice is: start with a cheap memory expansion (4/8Mb) or the Blizzard/Apollo 1220 with 4Mb of RAM. One ACA1220 is another good option and gives much more than 8Mb of RAM. ;-)

But the best bang for the buck is a 030 accelerator with support for 32 or 128Mb of RAM. On this level the best options are Blizzard 1230 mk4 (up to 256Mb with the SCSI kit attached!), then Apollo 1230 (32Mb), then ACA123x with 64Mb, then others.

If you are thinking about a number of upgrades then maybe jump the basic ram expansion. I got that first and it does a job but within a week I was looking for a blizzard 1230.
After that the 1260 starts to cross your mind and the costs really mount up....

Sent from my HTC One X.

I believe that for an A1200 the price-performance break (for the very large majority of uses) is with the 68030 @ 50MHz. You can ask for folks to sell you their 3.1 disks in the "Want to Buy" forum section

Hi thanks for all your replys, I think I will look in to getting the 68030/50mhz card soon.

Back
Top Bottom