Closed 220V transformers for 1541 and 1526

JHawk

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Country
Edinburgh
Hi,

I have a US 1541 drive and 1526 printer I'm trying to get working in the UK which should be as simple as swapping the transformers. I've tested the drive and it works with the transformer from a 1570, but I'm unable to test the printer. I had a US to UK adapter but it died a while ago (cheaply made junk - one of the coils was open circuit) and I'm reluctant to get another.

So I'm looking for UK/Europe 220V transformers for both of these. Hopefully someone will have one from otherwise-faulty hardware. Since they're heavy, might be limited to postage within UK only.

I'd offer the US transformers for sale, but I doubt they're worth shipping anywhere where they might be any use.

Thanks,

John

wouldnt it be easier to get a step down transformer?

then you could just plug them into the step down and straight into the mains(240 down to 120)

what is your 1541 drive model ?
do you need internal or external power supply like on 1541 II cream white models ?
I have many parts for both

Last edited:
what is your 1541 drive model ?
do you need internal or external power supply like on 1541 II cream white models ?
I have many parts for both

Hi,

It's one of the older 1541s with an Alps mechanism, so the transformer is internal. I'm assuming all the transformers in Commodore drives have screw holes in the same place and are of similar size, but am not certain of that.

Thanks,

John

---------- Post added at 09:18 ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 ----------

wouldnt it be easier to get a step down transformer?

then you could just plug them into the step down and straight into the mains(240 down to 120)

Hi,

It might be, but I'd prefer to just switch them, close the case and forget it was ever a 120V drive, rather than have to look for the transformer any time I want to use it. I thought there must be a few unwanted 1541 transformers out there as people are looking for drive mechanisms quite frequently.

Thanks,

John

Back
Top Bottom