PDA

View Full Version : Apollo 1260 - Black screen of death

Mr_byte
13th April 2013, 19:21
Hi

I just bought a "working" apollo 1260 50Mhz, but i only get a black screen. No flickering. One time the machine started but freeze after 1min, i did not do anything special to get it started

Are there someone out there having the skills and time to fix it?

Link to the card:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350748456825&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160

What i have tried to do:

-I have tried to take the oscillator in and out many many times and bend the legs a little.

-Clean the pins on the motherboard with alcohol and a pencil eraser. I have tried to clean the pins on the apollo card with electronic cleaner and a small paintbrush.

-Take out the memory and clean the pin.

-I have tried with a completely clean workbench 3.1 installation and installed the lib from the floppy and then insert the apollo card.

-I have tried without a hard drive.

-I have tried with kickstart 3.0 and kickstart 3.1 with 3. different motherboards, with and without a harddrive.

-I have tried with a 300w pc psu and a Amiga 500 psu.

So i have testet the card in 3 different motherboards with 3 different revisions (1A, 1B, and 1D4). The 1B motherboard had all the caps replaced.

roy_bates
13th April 2013, 19:37
ok a few more things you can try if your carefull,try to make sure all the jumpers are tight,then try to reseat the two mach chips on the card.

be very carefull with the machs.:)

and try to reseat the eprom on the card.

Justin
13th April 2013, 20:18
try some different mem sticks

also try installing some other 060 libs

Mr_byte
13th April 2013, 20:43
Thanks for the reply

I have make sure the jumpers are thigh, i have also cleaned the jumper pins with electronic cleaner.

I there a special trick to take out the mach chips?

The eprom are soldered on the board

ok a few more things you can try if your carefull,try to make sure all the jumpers are tight,then try to reseat the two mach chips on the card.

be very carefull with the machs.:)

and try to reseat the eprom on the card.

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 19:41 ----------

I have tried to disable the memory on the board. Tried 2 different version of libs.

And i can't boot into the early boot menu..

try some different mem sticks

also try installing some other 060 libs

roy_bates
13th April 2013, 21:21
theres no trick,just get a plcc chip puller of ebay there real cheap.

only use the apollo libs with apollo cards dont use other libs for other cards.

the install disk is on the net for apollo 1260,just use that and nothing else,trust me.

is the 060 on the card a ec variant?

Mr_byte
13th April 2013, 21:32
Hi

I have tried the libs that was on the install disk (the seller told me to use this) and i have tried the libs from this link: http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=37362&highlight=apollo+1260+guide

but i dont think the machine get the chance to load the libs as there is no reading from the harddrive and not possible to get into the early boot menu.

The 060 is not a ec variant

theres no trick,just get a plcc chip puller of ebay there real cheap.

only use the apollo libs with apollo cards dont use other libs for other cards.

the install disk is on the net for apollo 1260,just use that and nothing else,trust me.

is the 060 on the card a ec variant?

roy_bates
13th April 2013, 21:39
ok no probs.

i would still try to reseat the machs.

Mr_byte
13th April 2013, 21:44
Thanks for help

Yes i will get a PLCC Extractor and try to reseat the chips..

ok no probs.

i would still try to reseat the machs.

NeutronUK
14th April 2013, 11:20
Hi Mr_byte,

I am sorry you have had the problems with the Apollo that you have had. I tested the card and took some pictures of it working before putting it up for sale on eBay. Also before packaging the Apollo and posting it I even tested it again on a 1d4 motherboard with 3.1 roms with a Goliath psu I must say that I got a black screen but after removing and reinstalling the card a few times it worked fine hence the reason in the last email I sent you I said try installing/uninstalling/reinstalling the Apollo 1260 card I have another Apollo 060 @ 66MHz with 64Mb Ram which I pulled out of my Amiga black hole to get that ready for sale on Friday as I don't need it and I tested that card and I got a black screen also with that but after removing and reinstalling the card a few times it worked. I did some investigating and I found out on this link http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=62306 that the bronze connectors on the Apollo cards over time tend to oxidize and normal contact cleaners do not work. I am a Electrician and Amiga hacker and have worked a lot with Apollo cards and have upgraded six from 040 to 060. It makes sense to me how this could be the problem as it has happened to me on 2 Apollos now and buy removing/reinstalling will allow the Apollo connector pins to rub with the motherboards contacts slowly working of the oxidation from the Apollo connector pins. Don't take out the Mack 210 + 131 then reinsert them. Please only try what I recommend because if you can not get the card working you will end up returning it to me for a full refund or repair or replacement which ever one you prefer and I don't want it messed about with to much and nor would you if you were me.

Kind regards,

NeutronUK

---------- Post added at 11:20 ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 ----------

Dear Roy_bates,

When you give advice on removing/reseating the Machs on this Apollo knowing that Mr_byte has bought the card from an eBay seller being me. Don't you think you should also state ask the seller first. Surly you know that if Mr_byte can not get the Apollo working it will be sent back to the seller. If the shoe was on the other foot would you be happy with receiving a tampered with Apollo 060 that you sold ?.

Regards,

NeutronUK

Mr_byte
14th April 2013, 11:38
Hi

Thanks for the answer

I will not take the mach chips out or temper with it in another physical way.

I will try to reinstall/install the card to try to remove the oxidation from the pins

Thanks

Hi Mr_byte,

I am sorry you have had the problems with the Apollo that you have had. I tested the card and took some pictures of it working before putting it up for sale on eBay. Also before packaging the Apollo and posting it I even tested it again on a 1d4 motherboard with 3.1 roms with a Goliath psu I must say that I got a black screen but after removing and reinstalling the card a few times it worked fine hence the reason in the last email I sent you I said try installing/uninstalling/reinstalling the Apollo 1260 card I have another Apollo 060 @ 66MHz with 64Mb Ram which I pulled out of my Amiga black hole to get that ready for sale on Friday as I don't need it and I tested that card and I got a black screen also with that but after removing and reinstalling the card a few times it worked. I did some investigating and I found out on this link http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=62306 that the bronze connectors on the Apollo cards over time tend to oxidize and normal contact cleaners do not work. I am a Electrician and Amiga hacker and have worked a lot with Apollo cards and have upgraded six from 040 to 060. It makes sense to me how this could be the problem as it has happened to me on 2 Apollos now and buy removing/reinstalling will allow the Apollo connector pins to rub with the motherboards contacts slowly working of the oxidation from the Apollo connector pins. Don't take out the Mack 210 + 131 then reinsert them. Please only try what I recommend because if you can not get the card working you will end up returning it to me for a full refund or repair or replacement which ever one you prefer and I don't want it messed about with to much and nor would you if you were me.

Kind regards,

NeutronUK

---------- Post added at 11:20 ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 ----------

Dear Roy_bates,

When you give advice on removing/reseating the Machs on this Apollo knowing that Mr_byte has bought the card from an eBay seller being me. Don't you think you should also state ask the seller first. Surly you know that if Mr_byte can not get the Apollo working it will be sent back to the seller. If the shoe was on the other foot would you be happy with receiving a tampered with Apollo 060 that you sold ?.

Regards,

NeutronUK

roy_bates
14th April 2013, 13:04
i respect what your saying,but seeing as the op opened a thread on amibay asking how to make it work dont you think anyone is going to help?
it makes no diference were it was bought from,if your offering to sort it out then fair play to you.

i dont know wether the op has sent a message to you regarding this card,and to be honest its none of my business if /she had done so.and i would not ask most of the time.

r0jaws
15th April 2013, 00:06
.....Dear Roy_bates,

Regards,

NeutronUK

How on earth was anyone to know that?
Also, If you have done any Amiga hacking as you claim, then you will be familiar with the practice of re-seating socketed chips. That is one of the standard practices for any faulty component. In fact, if I was a seller of something like this, it would probably be one of the first things I would recommend trying.
I think you owe Roy an apology as he was only trying to help the OP.

Snoozy
15th April 2013, 13:12
hmm i would have thought NeutronUk is right, the ops first port of call should be discussion with the ebay seller. They have stated they have purchased from ebay seller and documented a link.

The ebay seller should be leading the diagnostic proceedings as stated they will be having to take the card back if it can't be made to work :unsure: They may not wish for the machs to be reseated unless done by themselves.

Maybe its just another apollo card that is on the way out?

Mr_byte
15th April 2013, 18:51
Hi all

Me and the seller has agreed that i send the card back for a full refund.

Thanks everybody for trying to help :thumbsup:

roy_bates
15th April 2013, 19:11
it doesent really matter lads,lets not get into an argument its not worth it.

i was only trying to help,and it looks like it will get sorted one way or another.:)

velikani
16th April 2013, 03:56
I had contact problems with my NES carts, even after I bought a new 72pin connector for the console. I didnt have any isopropanol to clean the contacts, so i took another approach; I cleaned the contacts with vodka (!!) and piece of cotton used for makeup I found from my wife's makeup stuff.

Some of the crap was really tight, so i used a regular eraser rubber to clean them. Now they work :)

Anyway good luck with the next card.

NeutronUK
18th April 2013, 06:05
Dear roy_bates,

Obviously I expect people to help not that I said I didn't in the first place but when you give advice like you have with out stating ask the seller first that is simply wrong. Also it does matter where the item is bought as with eBay + PayPay if you can't get an item working that was sold as working the item is to be returned to the seller for a full refund which I am sure you know. I just don't want the Apollo tampered with to much before I receive it and issue a full refund which I thought you would understand. I know you were only trying to help but please go about it in the right way next time.

Regards,

NeutronUK

---------- Post added at 05:59 ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 ----------

Dear r0jaws,

You state, How on earth was anyone to know that?. By this comment I hope I am right in assuming you mean how was any body to know you were the eBay seller well hence the reason I let you all know to save the Apollo from being tampered with to much and also to show my good moral character. Also in a discourteous way you state If you have done any Amiga hacking as you claim, then you will be familiar with the practice of re-seating socketed chips. That is one of the standard practices for any faulty component. I am all to familiar with removing/re-seating socketed chips and it is not standard practice for as you state (any faulty component). I know that the Apollo cards do some times need there Machs removed contacts cleaned on both Machs+sockets which you fail to mention then reseated you might be happy to have some one do this to a 365 Apollo that you sold which still in the end could be returned to you for a full refund but I would rather be the one to do this. I just don't want the Apollo tampered with to much before I receive it and issue a full refund. I think if anyone owes anyone an apology it is you owing me one. Also I would have expected better comments from an Amibay Administrator then the ones you have directed towards me,

Regards,

NeutronUK

---------- Post added at 06:01 ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 ----------

Dear Snoozy,

Thank you for your support + seeing the obvious.

Kindest Regards,

NeutronUK

---------- Post added at 06:03 ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 ----------

Dear Mr_byte,

Thank you for updating everyone with regards to us agreeing that the Apollo be returned for a full refund.

Kindest regards,

NeutronUK

---------- Post added at 06:04 ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 ----------

Dear velikani,

Thank you for your support/advice with regards to contact problems.

Kindest regards,

NeutronUK

---------- Post added at 06:05 ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 ----------

I will update you all once I receive the Apollo.

Kindest regards.

NeutronUK

roy_bates
18th April 2013, 06:59
without argueing,your original sale states:no returns accepted.

thats why i was trying to help.

r0jaws
18th April 2013, 07:11
@NeutronUk, I am sorry that you feel that I was rude. I also felt you were quite rude to Roy, who was not to know you were the seller and was only offering advice based on his experience.
The practice of re-seating any socketed chip on any component, no matter the value is common for all older equipment. Over the years dust and heat expansion and cooling will possibly push the chips out of alignment or lead to a bad contact. Simply removing and re-seating them can sometimes lead to good results. If done with the correct equipment and with care, they can easily be re-seated with no damage whatsoever.
The OP could have contacted you directly himself, but he chose to seek advice from an open forum. The advice he was given was varied and he could chose, as an adult which to follow. No particular advice on here is "wrong" just in variance with your opinion.

On a side note, even if I am an admin, I am allowed to comment on anything I wish in any way I wish, just like any other member.

However, as it is in dispute on ebay you can update Mr_byte over on that site, thread closed.