Help me fix a MegaCD Mark 1

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
Hi all, i received a non working megacd mark 1 this week which had no power.
Turned out it was a blown fuse which has been replaced and power is restored.

Now it powers up and picks up a game cd but then i hear some clicking and the game freezes. A quick check and it appears the laser is getting stuck halfway as it moves back and forth. I've tore it down and found the gears that control the movement of the laser have some broken teeth so i need to find replacements. I tried both Maplin & GeeDee Models yesterday but they don't stock them.

Does anyone know where i can get replacements from?

Thanks

Pic

Attachments

• SDC13647 (Custom).JPG
    SDC13647 (Custom).JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 2
  • SDC13649 (Custom).JPG
    SDC13649 (Custom).JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 0
Hi all, i received a non working megacd mark 1 this week which had no power.
Turned out it was a blown fuse which has been replaced and power is restored.

Now it powers up and picks up a game cd but then i hear some clicking and the game freezes. A quick check and it appears the laser is getting stuck halfway as it moves back and forth. I've tore it down and found the gears that control the movement of the laser have some broken teeth so i need to find replacements. I tried both Maplin & GeeDee Models yesterday but they don't stock them.

Does anyone know where i can get replacements from?

Thanks

Pic

Please post pics of the mechanism.

Decent epoxy resin + 24hrs + set of needle files=much goodness

Decent epoxy resin + 24hrs + set of needle files=much goodness

You could but chances are it will go again. I remember rebuilding a draw gear, it worked, but for something like the laser sled gear. I dont think it will fly.

A quick search, it uses a SONY KSM mech. Really need to see a pic of whole mech to confirm.
If it is, then you can proberly get the parts from CHS.

Hey guys, i'll reconstruct the parts tonight and upload a photo of the full mech.

A daft question that just might work.

Is this an item that could be made by a 3D printer? If so, if it can be measured up by a micrometer and if we can work out the pitch of the gear teeth, then Mike could have as many as he wanted.

A daft question that just might work.

Is this an item that could be made by a 3D printer? If so, if it can be measured up by a micrometer and if we can work out the pitch of the gear teeth, then Mike could have as many as he wanted.

I said this to Mike myself Merl! However we decided that we couldn't get a 3D printer as we only had enough cash to by a new power supply unit for my Spectrum and breakfast so we had to leave it.

Here's pics of the complete laser assembly. If it helps its got JVC stamped on the laser and from my own research its a JVC optima 5 or Optima 6

Thanks

Attachments

• SDC13650 (Custom).JPG
    SDC13650 (Custom).JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 0
  • SDC13651 (Custom).JPG
    SDC13651 (Custom).JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 0
  • SDC13652 (Custom).JPG
    SDC13652 (Custom).JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 0
  • SDC13653 (Custom).JPG
    SDC13653 (Custom).JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 0
  • SDC13654 (Custom).JPG
    SDC13654 (Custom).JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 1
  • SDC13655 (Custom).JPG
    SDC13655 (Custom).JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 0
  • SDC13656 (Custom).JPG
    SDC13656 (Custom).JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 2
If it is a ksm, its easier to get a second hand bust hifi.
Or http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/search.html?query=Ksm

---------- Post added at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:00 ----------

Here's pics of the complete laser assembly. If it helps its got JVC stamped on the laser and from my own research its a JVC optima 5 or Optima 6

Thanks

Gah, those mechs suck. Definitely not a sony mech, ;).
Optima 6s was the most common used.

Edit:

If you can find a jvc hifi with same mech, then do a search on chs, you may be lucky.

Back
Top Bottom