PDA

View Full Version : Closed Wanted: A600

Khyron
16th February 2010, 07:36
Hi All,

Still looking for an A600, so if you happen to have one, or know an online shop or person selling one then, please let me know..

Thank you!

Khyron
23rd February 2010, 17:01
--bumping--

Jambalah
23rd February 2010, 18:30
I have one to sell for 25 euros but I guess shipping costs make this prohibitive :(

Khyron
23rd February 2010, 20:47
Hi Jambalah,
Thank you for answering!

I'll pm you my location information, we'll see how much it costs to ship..

rkauer
24th February 2010, 02:41
As a side note, do you guys realized the European Amigas are PAL, right?

And they run almost 98% of the games you find around the 'net. ;)

Khyron
24th February 2010, 05:21
As a side note, do you guys realized the European Amigas are PAL, right?

And they run almost 98% of the games you find around the 'net. ;)
Hmmm good point.. but I've pretty much got everything in NTSC.. and was planning on using this on a regular TV.. Didn't think of what Agnus the A600 has.. the clock source and encoder can be jumpered/modifed for NTSC composite.. but not sure if the agnus can be switched to ntsc..

Jambalah
24th February 2010, 15:12
Replied to PM! I' didn't think to NTSC problem too..:huh:

rkauer
24th February 2010, 16:59
Without using a multi-norm TV (one that accept PAL signal), the output will be black and white. Some few LCD TV monitors synchronize through the VGA input.

To turn a PAL Amiga 600 into a NTSC one is not easy: the Fatter Agnus 8375 must be replaced (SMD solder!), the main motherboard crystal oscillator must be swapped out, then the RF modulator must be replaced.

And finally a small SMD resistor must be sacked out.

My word of advertise: don't try to modify an A600. Prefer the PAL version because of the games and the 56 extra horizontal lines on Workbench & games. Catch a suitable 1084S, which is cheap in every part of the world.

Khyron
24th February 2010, 17:35
Without using a multi-norm TV (one that accept PAL signal), the output will be black and white. Some few LCD TV monitors synchronize through the VGA input.

To turn a PAL Amiga 600 into a NTSC one is not easy: the Fatter Agnus 8375 must be replaced (SMD solder!), the main motherboard crystal oscillator must be swapped out, then the RF modulator must be replaced.

And finally a small SMD resistor must be sacked out.

My word of advertise: don't try to modify an A600. Prefer the PAL version because of the games and the 56 extra horizontal lines on Workbench & games. Catch a suitable 1084S, which is cheap in every part of the world.

Actually I've been thinking about it.. just changing the R202/203 & R246/R245, and dropping in a new 28.6363Mhz xtal should make the unit output the right color system.
From there's it just a matter of selecting NTSC from the early boot menu.. or see if the TV can sync to 50Hz with the right color info..
And if the PAL agnus doesn't divide right, then just install an osc. tank between pins 5/6 of the CXA..

rkauer
24th February 2010, 18:57
Not enough, mate. Sorry.

The Fatter Agnus (ECS Agnus) is tied to PAL or NTSC, not both.

Grab an old monitor like the 1084S or Phillips CM8833. Remember the Amiga RGB port does not have PAL/NTSC "encoding", so any RGB monitor will work with any kind of Amiga.

Those monitors are mostly thrown away, so you probably will grab one locally for next to nothing or even free.

Photon
28th February 2010, 23:56
If you can buy, steal, or borrow some equipment that can output PAL (perhaps via switching something), you could test if your TV accepts PAL via f.ex. SCART rgb or composite.

But there should be plenty of NTSC A600s around in the US, of course. It's just that with NTSC you won't have the massively greater number of mindblowing games and demos to choose from - if you're into that stuff.

rkauer
1st March 2010, 02:13
The NTSC A600 is not commonly available in the USA, Photon. Even in Brazil (where it was produced for a short time) it's not a very common machine.

BTW: Brazilian A600 is NTSC! But mine is a UK PAL unit. I'm even thinking in buying another PAL unit for a special project. :D

Photon
1st March 2010, 13:56
Huh. You'd think they'd make a couple for themselves... maybe the US market had already declined by then.

Anyway, check if the TV outputs PAL somehow, and if it does you're all right already :)

rkauer
1st March 2010, 17:21
The A600 was an unit who didn't sell well in USA, that's the true.

For why, I really don't know.:shrug: