Adding S-Video to a Trinitron TV

tiffers

AmiBayer
Country
Perth, Australia
Well lads, I successfully pulled off the A520 S-Video mod/hack today. Yay! So I finally have a decent picture coming out of my A500.

Only thing is I only have 1 TV with S-Video in, and it's int the games and fitness room. Plus it's a 'pure flat' CRT (not the highest quality either... TEAC I think) and the edges get a bit blurry.

I have a Sony Trinitron KV-G21S1 sitting out in my shed and I love the picture it shows, but it only has composite and RF in. Now I reckon there's got to be S-Video in circuitry on the boards, and I'd love to talk my father-in-law into helping me add it in.

Does anyone have, or have access to, the service manuals / schematics for this TV? I found a bunch of online sites wanting between $5 - $50 US for the thing, one even wanting a donation to some freedom fighters charity, but none for free.

Am I out of luck, or is Sony cheap enough to use an expensive TV with less bits to make a cheap TV, allowing me to get S-Video hacked on?

CHeers,

tiffers

Am I out of luck, or is Sony cheap enough to use an expensive TV with less bits to make a cheap TV, allowing me to get S-Video hacked on?
Just open it up. Odds are that the first chip that's connected to the Composite connector is a Video->RGB decoder chip. Armed with the chip model it should be easy enough to determine if it has S-Video inputs as well (and it's quite likely that it does).

Don't go there.... Firstly it maybe a Live chassis, If that's the case you could serious harm yourself & the miggy.

There is a lot more to S-Video circuitry in TV's than you think as Delay lines will need to be added within the circuit to compensate for the PAL delay line that the circuit is built around.

Seriously, let it be !!!

TC :nod:

Seriously, I won't be doing it myself :eek:. My father-in-law is a retired radio tech of over 20-years experience. He has worked on TVs, VCRs and all that stuff.

I'm looking for schematics only at this point. Knowing Sony, this TV probably has all stuff on the board ready, it just needs a socket and some resisters added :D

Anyone have access to the schematics and other service manuals?

tiffers

---------- Post added at 02:18 ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 ----------

Oooh! Look what I just found.

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/43337/_SONY%20KV-G21M1.html

(Can't upload it here as (a) it's rar format and (b) it's over 2MB)

Now to find out the difference between KV-G21S1/KV-G21S11 and KV-G21M1

---------- Post added at 03:03 ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 ----------

Jakcpot!!

http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/3183711-kv-g21-pdf

I found it! And it looks like it's common for all the KV-G21 models.

The tradebit link doesn't work, but a quick look at the schematics and the TDA8366 datasheet makes me think that it's not impossible, but not trivial either...

Back
Top Bottom