PDA

View Full Version : Closed Amiga 600

onemore
24th February 2010, 22:11
Hello !

Well i have a old but workig A600 well semi-working that i want to bring back to life!

So the unit needs a floppy drive, a new case, the power leds and i think its all.

It has already from glory days the extra 1mb with clock .. a 6020 card and the latest rom version. It used to have a 60mb harddrive, but got damaged sectors.

I've found the floppy drive at amigakit, and some CF solutions for "harddrive" , but no luck with the powerleds. so if any one could help...

ow by the way does the Compact Flash board , needs a 2,5" cable to standard IDE ? and the hd cradle?
Also the 020 card used to jump off quite often and crashed the system.. any solution.?

Thank you

Chinners
25th February 2010, 20:52
Hello !

Well i have a old but workig A600 well semi-working that i want to bring back to life!

So the unit needs a floppy drive, a new case, the power leds and i think its all.

It has already from glory days the extra 1mb with clock .. a 6020 card and the latest rom version. It used to have a 60mb harddrive, but got damaged sectors.

I've found the floppy drive at amigakit, and some CF solutions for "harddrive" , but no luck with the powerleds. so if any one could help...

ow by the way does the Compact Flash board , needs a 2,5" cable to standard IDE ? and the hd cradle?
Also the 020 card used to jump off quite often and crashed the system.. any solution.?

Thank you

The LEDs are often available on uk ebay...
The CF card does not need the hdd cradle, but most do require a short IDE lead. You just need to make sure the CF holder doesnt fall down and short any electrics. I put some electrical tape over the metal contacts on my CF adapter, and it seems fine.

As for the 020 card - Give it to me: :p. No, seriously, some nice insulator material to wedge between it and the keyboard (Cork, lump of eraser etc), or if you are brave, a bit of super glue or drops of glue from a glue gun... but that will make it hard to remove.

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:43 ----------

Hello !

Thank you

Actually, whilst I remember, you might want to check your kickstart rom version - some A600's come with kickstart versions that do not support large hard drives. I am sure someone else, or a bit of googling will get the exact revisions.

AndyLandy
25th February 2010, 20:56
You need at least 37.300 for hard disk support, and ideally 37.350.

My A600 ran with an 800MB hard disk on 37.300 ROMs without a hitch, dunno how far you can go, but I think 37.350 allows up to 4GB or 8GB disks.

rkauer
25th February 2010, 21:48
I use to use a 37.300 on my A600 with a 2Gb HD, no problems. Tested it with a 6.5Gb unit and still working.

Now my A600 have a 4Gb CF and 3.1 ROM.

AndyLandy
25th February 2010, 22:01
In fact, if you need one, I think I've got a spare 37.300 kicking around somewhere.