Cd-r on cdtv

joebloggs71

Country
Britain
Region
Plymouth
Please help!
I transfered a few hundred protracker modules from my pc today onto a blank cd-r.but my cdtv will not read the disk.do cd-rs not work with the cdtv???

How did you write them to CD? Did you use the built-in CD writing software?

Did you remember to close the session so no more data can be written to the CD?

Cdtv

Cdtv

Thanks for feedback.i just dragged and dropped the mod files on my pc using nero but it seems the cdtv is unable to read anything.i actually havent tried to play an album from a cd-r yet.i'll give tjat a go right now and get back to you

---------- Post added at 21:18 ---------- Previous post was at 21:01 ----------

Yep the albums i just tried worked fine.the cd-rs i bought today were from the pound shop so this is probably my problem.the album i just tried was on a sony cd-r.will have to buy a pack of them tomorrow then try again.although i didnt create the modules cd as a multisession cd???

CDTV will not read Joliet CDs. Try to burn again in RockRidge format.

You NEED the AmigaOS developers kit.
In that kit is the 'trademark' files, without these, the CDTV will not boot the CD.

Firstly, you need to write it as a RockRidge filesystem and secondly, you need to specify CDTV.TM as the boot sector file.
Finally, you need to place RMTM in the C: folder and have it as the first command in your S:Startup-Sequence file, otherwise you'll be staring at a black screen with a white CDTV logo in it.

P.S. Burning your CD at slower speeds will also help the CDTV being able to read the disc.

If you are booting the CDTV into Workbench before accessing the CD then you need to burn a CD-R using ISO 9660, with File directory length ISO level 1.

You can try File length Level 2 (31 characters as it often works). Remember that any long Amiga file names will be truncated to DOS 8.3 filenames if using ISO Level 1, so you would end up with files that could be called "filename file 1" becoming filena~1.ext instead. So make sure the files are short logical names before writing the disc.

However, if you want to boot the CD-R on the CDTV you need to do as Woody suggests.

Also use good quality blank discs. Verbatim are the best. Only use DVD-R and not +R, and always write the discs at the slowest speed you can 4x, or even 2x if your burner and software will allow it. This is because older drivers like the CDTV cannot read discs accurately if they have been writen at higher speeds because the burnt tracks are fainter at higher speeds and less defined.

If you are booting the CDTV into Workbench before accessing the CD then you need to burn a CD-R using ISO 9660, with File directory length ISO level 1.

You can try File length Level 2 (31 characters as it often works). Remember that any long Amiga file names will be truncated to DOS 8.3 filenames if using ISO Level 1, so you would end up with files that could be called "filename file 1" becoming filena~1.ext instead. So make sure the files are short logical names before writing the disc.
Ummm, if you can, still try to burn RockRidge, then you can still use Amiga filenames (31 chars) as opposed to 8.3 filenames.
Using ISO level 2 (and no rockridge) will make all the filenames lowercase, with no Amiga readable attributes and all spaces will be changed to underscores. That's why it's best to use the RockRidge format.

True. Amiga Rock Ridge support is compatible with standard UNIX Rock Ridge (but containing additional features), so if your software and writer can write using Rock Ridge, then burn the disks using ISO 9660 and Rock Ridge to retain longer filenames (31 characters).

If you try that and it can't be read, or your drive and software can't write Rock Ridge, then try ISO 9660 and Level 2. If that doesn't work, then use ISO 9660 and Level 1 as a last resort, as that will work, but will truncate the filenames to DOS 8.3.

Oh, one minor point to note.
Make sure the .info files (if you have any) are lowercase.
Kickstart/Workbench 1.x will not display the icons if the .info extension is in uppercase (in other words .INFO as apposed to .info)
Just thought that might be helpful. It's a bug in Workbench 1.x that was fixed in 2.0

Cd-r cdtv

Cd-r cdtv

Erm thanks everybody.looks like ive got alot to get through today.i thought it would be just a case of dragging and dropping my .mod files in nero and that would be it.seems alot more complicated.thanks everybody.will let you know the outcome.my cdtv is on ebay by the way for the staggering by it now price of £300.yes its steep but it is a beauty.but i will take it down if anybody wants to swap it for a decent 1200 with cdrom?

Back
Top Bottom