PDA

View Full Version : Found Atari Jaguar - Main Unit or motherboard only, case can be damaged

fitzsteve
31st July 2013, 21:41
So I bought some accessories for my Atari Jaguar that I had as boxed/main unit only:

http://www.fitzstevesamigaworld.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/P1050033.JPG

And guess what? Yep - It's dead as fried chicken. Got that nice burnt electronics smell when I put power through it and there's a nice burnt component inside with signs of previous repair attempts :(

Anyway, I hope my game/pad was not damaged and now I'm on the lookout for another, can be main unit only or even just the Motherboard as the case I have here is mint.

It be nice too if it has a genuine PSU as I used a Megadrive PSU, I don't think this broke it as the MD PSU it's exactly the same voltage, ampage and polarity however better safe than sorry next time!

Thanks for looking :thumbsup:

slk486
31st July 2013, 23:39
Useful tidbit: I've found the Jag only needs about 6v, even though the official PSU is 9v (afair). If you find your jag has coil whine/hum, then it's most likely because it's fed more than 6-7v :) Point being the original PSU is not the best choice.

I also have a dead jag, but no clear signs of why :unsure:
Anyway, good luck with your search :thumbsup:

fitzsteve
1st August 2013, 00:50
Thanks for the info. Maybe my MD PSU is kicking out too many volts, I hope I didn't fry it :(

Although there was electrical tape on the power connector inside and on top of the burned components suggesting perhaps it has been messed with before?

Hopefully someone can help me out with another Unit as I have these great Games now I can't play :picard

I'm happy to trade items as well as offer cold hard cash BTW :thumbsup:

Hivernaal
1st August 2013, 07:29
Really sorry to heard that, mine is dead too. I will post here if i can repair it...

ps : If it's 'only' a burn smell, perhaps only a fuze is dead and not the Jag....

slk486
1st August 2013, 08:00
Thanks for the info. Maybe my MD PSU is kicking out too many volts, I hope I didn't fry it :(

I shouldn't think so. The components have a required +/- 10% rating - and as the official is 9v, the 10v from the MD psu would be completely fine :)

fitzsteve
1st August 2013, 09:42
Really sorry to heard that, mine is dead too. I will post here if i can repair it...

ps : If it's 'only' a burn smell, perhaps only a fuze is dead and not the Jag....

There is a very fried IC I can see, I will take a pic later and perhaps open an AmiOracle thread to discuss a possible repair

I shouldn't think so. The components have a required +/- 10% rating - and as the official is 9v, the 10v from the MD psu would be completely fine :)

I was using the 9v Sega PSU not even the 10v one...

fitzsteve
5th August 2013, 01:07
Found one in a 'for sale' thread so closing this one :)

fitzsteve
22nd August 2013, 17:42
Hi Guys, re-open this thread as I don't think the one I bought is going to turn up.

So I'm open to and awaiting your offers :)

Justin
22nd August 2013, 18:09
i have one you can have m8, remind me of your address:thumbsup:

fitzsteve
22nd August 2013, 18:11
i have one you can have m8, remind me of your address:thumbsup:

Hey mate, that's really kind of you! Can I offer you something for it? Swap maybe?

I got some goodies here. :)

Justin
22nd August 2013, 18:19
nah, you are my friend m8:)

fitzsteve
22nd August 2013, 18:22
nah, you are my friend m8:)

:oops:

I'll send you a PM :thumbsup:

Justin
22nd August 2013, 21:34
yo stevie baby, i just found this :) no PSU though :(

fitzsteve
22nd August 2013, 22:28
That's awesome mate, thanks very much :bounceBoingBall:

I'll buy a new PSU from eBay to be safe :thumbsup:

slk486
22nd August 2013, 23:09
Just get one of the multiadapters. They have more economic power ratings and can be set for 3-12v.

fitzsteve
6th September 2013, 12:27
Found via my good friend Justin, thanks soooo much :thumbsup:

Justin
6th September 2013, 12:28
nay worries:)