Hardware Junkie™
AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
128   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
Hi all, i'm looking for a 030 acclerator for my "new old stock" A1200 i've just purchased from Amigakit.co.uk :D It must have at least 8mb of ram (16mb or more is preferable though) and i'm not too fussed what speed it is. I would also consider a 040 accelerator but i think my new A1200 has either a rev 1D4 or 2B motherboard so i think it will need the timing fix :roll:

Anyway if anyone is wants to sell me an A1200 expansion then please let me know, cheers (y)

I've still got my Power Computing "Viper" (It's a rebranded DKB Cobra: http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/cobra). It's an EC030/40 with 68882/40 and 128MB SIMM. It's already had the firmware update to work with Kickstart 3.1. Never got round to selling it. The thing cost me £165 to put together, so it's yours for that price if you want it.

The card comes complete with box and install floppy:

dkbcobra.jpg

I have a nice Apollo board here. So if all other things are not what you want you can hit me.

Would like to have around 120€ for the board.

@ AndyLandy... I was not aware of any issues using an accelerator with KS 3.1 roms? That 128mb simm also looks quite big! Will it fit in a standard A1200 case and be able to have the trapdoor cover left on?

@Jon Hare... Do you have any pics of the Apollo board? Also what model is it and will it work with an Escom A1200 using KS 3.1 roms?

Cheers, Dan :cool:

@ AndyLandy... I was not aware of any issues using an accelerator with KS 3.1 roms? That 128mb simm also looks quite big! Will it fit in a standard A1200 case and be able to have the trapdoor cover left on?

It's an issue specifically with this card, the default firmware only works under KS 3.1 if there's no RAM on the card, but an upgrade fixes that, and has been applied to the card.

The SIMM definitely fits inside a wedge A1200 case, I even had the seller measure it for me before I bought it. That said, the card really does push the boundary of the trapdoor footprint. I had to completely disassemble the A1200 to get it in, and I left off the top half of the RF shield, to make sure the SIMM wasn't interfered with. The SIMM slot is on the other side of the card, so points upwards into the A1200 case, not out the bottom of the trapdoor, so the trapdoor cover goes on fine.

I'm currently using the dkb cobra and I had one small issue with it.
When you go to install the card, the battery holder that is installed
hits on the very edge of the floppy cable connector.
So to install it, I needed to open the case, and gently lift up on the floppy
cable.

Other than that, it's a good accelerator.

Later,
dabone

I'm preferably looking for an accelerator that will comfortably fit in a standard A1200 case without bending or removing the top RF shield and i would like to keep the trapdoor on... It's going to be installed in a brand new "old stock" A1200 so i don't really want to butcher it :D

@ AndyLandy... i guess it will fit fine with a smaller sized simm? I'm not bothered about having 128mb installed as i will never need that much RAM... do you have any other simms that work with it?

Cheers, Dan

I've tested it with a bunch of other SIMMs, 4MB, 16MB and it's happy with them all, but due to the size of the card itself, you'll probably still have to lift the lid on your A1200, even if there's no RAM in it at all. Don't worry if you're not interested, I can sympathise with you not wanting to crack open an otherwise-virgin A1200. :)

I've tested it with a bunch of other SIMMs, 4MB, 16MB and it's happy with them all, but due to the size of the card itself, you'll probably still have to lift the lid on your A1200, even if there's no RAM in it at all. Don't worry if you're not interested, I can sympathise with you not wanting to crack open an otherwise-virgin A1200. :)

I will have to pass for the moment... Are there any accelerators that will fit without having to move anything?

Does anyone have any experience with these from Amigakit? http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=913

---------- Post added at 00:19 ---------- Previous post was at 00:08 ----------

I have a nice Apollo board here. So if all other things are not what you want you can hit me.

Would like to have around 120€ for the board.

Could you possibly post a pic and let me know the specs please? Cheers :)

---------- Post added at 00:59 ---------- Previous post was at 00:19 ----------

Ok can someone close this thread please as Amigakit have convinced me to buy one of their accelerators and install it for me before my shiny new A1200 gets shipped :cool:

Cheers, Dan :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom