Workbench disk confusion

j_l_a

Country
USA
Region
Wisconsin
I’m looking to get WHDLoad set up on my A1200 onto a 4GB CF card using the tutorial by fitzsteve. I have a set of workbench 2.0 (or 2.1) discs, but would like to use a more up to date version of the OS.
I’m not clear on a few points:

1. Is OS 3.1 the best version to use for WHDLoad?
2. To get hold of the physical disks do I need to find a user selling these, or are the disks freely available now?
3. OR, if I’m understanding the tutorial correctly it looks like I can boot the A1200 from my old workbench 2.0 disks, perform the partitioning of the CF card, and the only version I need of the OS3.1 discs reside on the PC for use in WinUAE (assuming I can use different OS versions like this). If this is the case, I have the same question, are these workbench disk images like ROMs where you need an official version, or are these passed around freely?
Thanks,
J

disks freely available now?
passed around freely?
NO & NO

What version are your ROMs ?
Not much point upgrading to 3.1 if you are not going to go
3.5 > 3.9 later on.

Is OS 3.1 the best version to use for WHDLoad?
I do not know ?
But it does make use of other ROMs for compatibility

Well it's using kickstart 3.0, does that correspond to the ROM number?

I don't really want to mess around with ROMs, I just want to install the latest workbench version that my A1200 will support.

I see people selling the workbench disks in the software area so I can pick some up there once I know which version. In the tutorial I mentioned, he uses both a physical workbench disk, and images of these disks in WinUAE. I'm not clear where the 'virtual' versions of these floppies come from....

You can run up to WB 3.1 with the 3.0 ROMs. For WB 3.5 or 3.9 you would need 3.1 ROMs, but if it's a more or less basic A1200, WB 3.1 is more lightweight and a better choice so just stick to that. Makes essentially no difference for WHDLoad use.

The Kickstart and Workbench are still under copyright and have not been freely released, although they are easy enough to find online (there isn't really anyone to enforce this stuff). If you own the physical diskettes no one really minds where you got the diskette images from.

You can also get properly licensed images of everything (Kickstart and Workbench) if you buy the Amiga Forever package from Cloanto.

Why you confuse yourself. You have A1200, probably with 3.0 ROMS, that's fair enough. Find and install Workbench 3.0, if you don't want to buy new 3.1 ROMS. Anyway, there's no much different between 3.0 and 3.1, so you will can use WhdLoad easily without any problems.

Don't mess with AmigaOS 3.5 or 3.9, those are for big-Amigas (ex A3000, A4000). Even on my A1200 with Blizzard MKIV 030/50MHz and with 64MB Fast RAM I use Workbench 3.1. It's more than sufficient for my work and games as well.

Amigakit should be able to help you out with an original set of Workbench floppies.

You can use WB 3.1 fine with the 3.0 ROMs. But as to the original question about using WB 2.0 to make the initial hard disk partitioning, I'm not sure... in principle I suppose it could work but the A1200 never shipped with that version so it's an unusual situation.

Have a look at johnim's guide here:

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=19953

The first part shows you how to clear the CF with diskpart in Windows, once you have done that you can partition the CF in WinUAE with your WB3.x ADF's without using your real Amiga.

I suggest you check the CF works in the Amiga after installing Workbench and before you spend a lot of time transferring WHDLoad Games. :coffee:

It is safe to upgrade the installation to Workbench 3.1, it will still work even with 3.0 Roms as others have said, no need to upgrade the physical Roms.

I hope the tutorial helps.

Steve.

ps. There's two reason even though it's not necessary why in my tutorial that I prep the CF in the real Amiga:

1) So that you know the CF defiantly works on the Amiga before spending a lot of time preparing it.
2) To save messing with tools like Diskpart as it's not always 100% successful, many people have still had issues getting WinUAE to detect the CF even after using Diskpart.

If you're just looking for a WHDload Amiga, just pick up a set of Workbench 3.0 disks from someone on here, they shouldn't be too pricey.

(y)

I have a set of Original C= WB 3.0 disks you can buy off me, I am in the USA.

i have a couple (atleast) sets of work bench disks. have bought a few boxes of floppys and prety much all of them had work bench disks.
not sure on the versions that i have though so i will need to check.
also not sure what they usually sell for either so il have to research that too.

so i can check later.

-=edit=-
seems a bit pointless posting that now i see some one els has some you can buy in the usa lol

Back
Top Bottom