AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Dorset
Hi all,

I have a laptop I sold here recently that came back dead. Sadly the BIOS chip has failed and no amount of BIOS recovery attempts have worked.

The chip is an SMD, and whilst I have the kit here to do the job, I am used to working on Xbox's and the like, so not really wanted to make a 'live' repair my first laptop job!

So, is there anyone out there in the community who can do this? If so, please contact me and we can hopefully work something out. I have included a picture of the offending part (indicated by the screwdriver), and also on the replacement chip I have, pre-flashed.

With some careful work the Mobo may not even have to leave the machine - but this can be discussed!

Waiting to hear from you (y)

Attachments

• IMG_0653_857x1142.jpg
    IMG_0653_857x1142.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0654_857x1142.jpg
    IMG_0654_857x1142.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0652_1142x857.jpg
    IMG_0652_1142x857.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 1
I've offered to take a crack at this for austinsom. If it's a 40-pin TSOP chip as I think it might be, it's not quite as bad as I originally thought it was going to be. I should be able to do this quite easily.

i hate the 40 pins. i hope its a 32 for you lol. they are so much easier

From that photo, it appears to be a 48 pin device. You need to tack the corners with a really fine soldering iron tip, to hold it in place before you solder the other legs. You also need to be careful not to bridge the pins.

for 48 i think id tack down top left bottom right and hit it with hot air lol.
then just do any legs that werent connected after that..

honestly i hate those tsop chips the legs are so close together that i get frustrated with them. and manually soldering them one by one is such a chore. so yeah id probably flux her up tack down 2 and then hot air it.:picard

If you have some flux it doesn't have to be hard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uiroWBkdFY

If you have some desoldering braid you could also just solder all pins quickly without caring about bridging them and then remove he excess solder with the braid afterwards. With the right 'feel' it will leave just enough to make a good soldering which looks very professional.

no problem for me, the new chip is write?
you can send me only mobo with tracked mail and you return to you with tracked mail for 10€

Guys, that's exactly how I will do it and I have a hot air station. I'm confident that I can sort this.

that video isnt doing any thing too dificult though.
if i did a 48 pin chip using that drag method, id be there for a week desoldering lol.. always do the legs 1 by 1 personally draging down towards me 1 leg at a time. provided you fluxed up its not that bad at all. (unless it has a crazy amount of tiny legs like oh.. a 48 pin tsop)

Just checked in and seen all the posts :). Thanks guys, and especially Merlin for agreeing to take a crack at it (y)

Seeing as the lappy doesn't work at the moment, there's not really any risk attached to the work from my point of view, if it works, that would be superb :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom