PDA

View Full Version : Wanted An adaptor for an A500 that lets you use an A2000 accelerator card

Astral
11th August 2013, 09:53
Ok. A bit of an oddball request here, but I know this has been done before, so just putting it out there... :thumbsup:

I'd like an adaptor that connects to the A500 side Zorro slot and allows you to use an A2000 style CPU accelerator card - the 86 pin type edge connector type. (And just to be clear, I am not after a Zorro slot convertor...or a 68000 socket type accelerator). :)

If you've got one, or even some tried, tested, and proven schematics...you know what to do! :help:

mariosMSX
11th August 2013, 12:21
I am sorry, but i don't think that this item really exists!
Have you ever see it, or read something about it?

ptyerman
11th August 2013, 13:38
I am sorry, but i don't think that this item really exists!
Have you ever see it, or read something about it?

He probably means this one:- http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=8373
It's the only one I can think of at the moment. I'm not sure if any more are being made though, wouldn't mind one myself. :thumbsup:

TjLaZer
11th August 2013, 21:17
That's just a Zorro 1 to Zorro 2 adaptor and they've been avail since the A500 came out. R&D use to sell it as the Sling Shot. That doesn't allow the use of A2000 accelerators though, since they use the A2000 CPU slot. No such adaptor exists afaik. Maybe the California Access Bodega Bay had one?

Buzzfuzz
11th August 2013, 21:30
Your only shot is a Micronik A500 Busboard, or a complete tower.
http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.com/bboah/product.aspx?id=1385
http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.com/bboah/product.aspx?id=1340

rkauer
12th August 2013, 06:19
It is possible to make. Just no schematics/gerber files yet.

The pinouts and connections are trivial oce you figure out which lines you have to connect to the external slot to make it work.

Astral
12th August 2013, 08:42
Just to be clear, like I stated in the original post, I am *not* after a Zorro card adaptor. I'm after a 2000 CPU card adaptor. While similar, it is not the same thing. :readit:

I have found pictures/schematics and so on previously, but none of them were 100% clear as to what lines connect to what - the "schematics" were open to interpretation. This might sound fussy, but unless it's 100%, it might only be the 1% wrong part that makes it fail :).

So, that is why I'd rather buy a pre-built unit (TomThul are you listening? I'm sure there would be demand for a production run :lol:). Failing that, I will make one - I will google again to see what info I can find. :ninja:

Rkaeur is correct...it is trivial once you know what lines are what. The A2000 CPU slot is very closely configured to the A500 Zorro slot, except for a few lines.

Zetr0
12th August 2013, 10:16
Clock signals are the important signals - If i get time tonight I will post a list of A200CPU signals and A500 side expansion bus signal (AND) any other IC thats required to pick up extra signals. if memory serves there is about 6 more required signals.

TjLaZer
13th August 2013, 02:53
No need to bust out the :readit: We told you that no such adaptor exists! I have been in the "Amiga scene" since 1986 and I never saw such an adaptor made other than those large Tower expansion devices. No sling shot type or TomThol adaptors...

Can one be made? Maybe. Is it worth it? Probably not. Just buy an A2000 :double

Astral
13th August 2013, 10:51
@TjLaZer

While I appreciate your opinion, it has been done before :) Both as part of a larger board (as others have stated), both commercially and privately, and as individual private hacks. I googled again last night and found various references. I even looked into this a few years back and found everything was a straightforward connection apart from (from memory) 4 connections. Zetro states 6...so it's probably somewhere around that (and he is more than likely correct :lol:). :thumbsup:

I would like to give this a go...I love tinkering...and as such, if there is a chance that someone has one they have made previously, that's why I'm asking. Or, as most people here are generally very friendly and helpful, a nudge in the right direction is possible to happen. :thumbsup:

As to whether it's worth it - for me, and I am sure others, it's not always about that. And in this case it isn't... :)