PDA

View Full Version : My C128 Project

quarkx
9th March 2010, 21:42
If you remember a few months ago, I started to put heat sinks on my C128, but I ran out. I now got in a few more packs (I could have used one more). I really didn't need the "Long" sinks, but I thought I would use them on Random IC's.
I didn't install the "Mega 128 ROM" Yet, because I wanted to check out this file Browser 6 ROM first, and I still need to find an 80 Column Monitor and a 1571 Drive, but slowly this C128 is coming along. The 64K Video Ram is installed.

mfilos
9th March 2010, 22:27
Impressive by all means! ...but... does it get so hot in order to need all these heatsinks, or it's just for fun and milspec? :P

Justin
9th March 2010, 22:37
we'll have no "milspec" here thankyou very much!

quarkx
9th March 2010, 23:16
It probably doesn't get that hot, but I just put the Sinks on the Chips that Commodore had. The RF shield acted as one big heat sink, and had "Tabs" down to those chips with thermal paste on them.
I think this looks good though, that huge RF shield was so annoying to keep pulling out to change ROMS.

SkydivinGirl
10th March 2010, 14:45
Very nice! It's odd seeing all that copper color in a C128. :D

Heather

Merlin
10th March 2010, 15:55
@ quarkx

It doesn't look right; it needs some tail fins, go-faster stripes and a flux capacitor to be fitted...

:rofl3

Justin
10th March 2010, 15:58
we'll i like it!, different doesn't mean wrong! :p

good work quarkx :thumbsup:

cheers, JuvUK

Merlin
10th March 2010, 16:04
I didn't say I didn't like it; it has a 'shiny disco ball' quality to it....

:thumbsup:

Photon
10th March 2010, 16:49
Hehe, cooling solutions for 1/2MHz chips ... :D

Those '10-pack' copper things with thermal tape on them are a great universal solution, though, for a bunch of platforms - PC, Amiga accelerators, ... I have a bunch here, they're cheap as chips (well cheaper actually!)

quarkx
10th March 2010, 17:07
There is a picture of the package on the other thread,When You order them in right from China, they are very cheap. The turn around time is less then 2 weeks, so even that is not to bad, all things considering. I think a pack of 15 was like .99 cents US. It was BIN for $4.95 including shipping, so All together, it was $19.80.
Trust me, if you only have to take the heat shield out once, it is worth every penny.
If I could order them in bulk (like a 100 packs at a time) for a good price on each. I would.- Just like those CF card adaptors, but I don't think anyone there speaks any English, so it is hard to communicate (I did send them e-mails about it.)

---------- Post added at 10:07 ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 ----------

@ quarkx

It doesn't look right; it needs some tail fins, go-faster stripes and a flux capacitor to be fitted...

:rofl3
That's reserved for the C128D if I ever find one. :lol: