PDA

View Full Version : Closed SERVICE: Someone to 'do' my 4gb CF card...

WhoShotMrWhite
10th March 2010, 20:45
Hey all, I'm getting fed up to the back teeth now trying to install my 4gb Sandisk Extreme II, letalone even aknowledge it! Staying up til' 3amin the morning, tearing my hair out, the frustration - so with this in mind, would anyone (preferably trusted with plenty of feedback) mind either walking through the process, step by step... in a totally NOOb!!! kinda way VIA MSN or even better, just 'do' the CF card themselves with the games/demos WHDload installs I have via post.

Either way, a crisp 10 (via PayPay) is up for grabs to the lucky one who has the time and energy!;)

Get in touch...:thumbsup:

tokyoracer
10th March 2010, 21:03
If your after a how-to install a Workbench OS on your CF card then give me a PM, Ill talk you through it for free. :)

Merlin
10th March 2010, 21:04
"Awww ayy La', calm down, calm down......" **

(As a Manc as well as being one of the site Admins, I can get away with that one!!)

I'm sure that a kindly AmiBay member will come along soon to sort it; in the meantime, could you throw them a clue and tell them what setup you have (A600, A1200, any accelerators etc).

For the non-UK AmiBayers, this is what the above is all about (although I'm not sure this will make much sense either):-

WhoShotMrWhite
10th March 2010, 21:12
lol, thanks gents... and yea, Merlin, we DO deserve the reputation, a lot of lads had that suede back in the day, unfortunately with regards to scallies it's more likely to be http://wrestling.johnpaulriley.com/jp_bob_shaved_head_2.jpg or this awful http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00059/jen_59913a.jpg **** now, I just hope to god Manchester never goes down this dusty road!

Well, my msn is kevs355@yahoo.com and I'm about to pop out to catch Alice in Wonderland on Orange Wednesday ;) so I'll be back later if anyone wants to 'add' me and assist! :bowdown:

By the way, it's a A600 with a A601 in the trapdoor slot.

Merlin
10th March 2010, 21:15
ROFLMAO!!

That Jennifer Ellison picture is an instant classic!! All she is missing is the 'tache!!

Muzer
10th March 2010, 21:39
I could give it a go - you'd have to physically post it as I'm not too great on doing that over MSN, especially since I don't use Windows. Do you want two 2GB partitions? I've read somewhere that with ordinary FFS, that is the most efficient way of doing things, since above 2GB partitions get very inefficient. Or do you want me to try my hand at a different FS? Either way is fine by me.

But yeah, if you've willing to pay for return postage on top of the 10 you're offering, I'll do it all for you. My address is in your PM box. Make sure you send everything I'll need - CF to IDE adaptor especially!

StrontiumDog
10th March 2010, 21:55
Should I just do you a complete backup of my CF card and partition layout? 200mb Workbench, 300mb Work, 3.2GB Games (1800+ WHDload games)

I got all mine backed up on DVD so no biggie to recreate on another CF card for any OS - only a couple of hours work :)

10 plus postage both ways. You choose which OS you need.

scole
10th March 2010, 22:03
Do you have a USB CF card reader? I was having the same nightmare installing an OS to a CF card on my A1200, could not make the computer see any of my cards, whilst my PC could. So I ended up formatting, partitioning and installing the OS via winUAE, jammed the thing back in the A1200 and it saw it and booted first time. Definitely worth a try, if you can get it to work in winUAE then it may well work for real after!

I did have a great guide I found, can't remember enough about it to find on google right now though. If I do, I'll pass it on.

S

Justin
10th March 2010, 22:44
ROFLMAO!!

That Jennifer Ellison picture is an instant classic!! All she is missing is the 'tache!!

eh? isn't that that Catona bird?

WhoShotMrWhite
11th March 2010, 02:59
Should I just do you a complete backup of my CF card and partition layout? 200mb Workbench, 300mb Work, 3.2GB Games (1800+ WHDload games).

I'll be in touch blankstare,

I quite like this...
3 partitions:
DH0: 200MB - Workbench 3.0or3.1, Dopus, NewIcons & Magic Work Bench Icons
DH1: 1495MB – WHDLoad games A-H
DH2: 1877MB – WHDLoad games I-Z

Bit like here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Amiga-1200-4GB-Hard-Drive-2200-Games-Installed-A1200_W0QQitemZ180479247786QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_VintageComputing_RL?hash=item2a0566c5aa#ht_2288wt_907

Btw, what's the difference between CLASSIC and MAGIC wb???

StrontiumDog
11th March 2010, 03:01
I quite like this...
3 partitions:
DH1: 1495MB WHDLoad games A-H
DH2: 1877MB WHDLoad games I-Z

No problem - easy peasy!

Merlin
11th March 2010, 09:21
ROFLMAO!!

eh? isn't that that Catona bird?

Nope; that's definitely Jennifer Ellison, not Kerry Katona. It's amazing what a little airbrushing will do for lads mag pictures, isn't it? :wooha:

Jon Hare
11th March 2010, 10:08
[QUOTE=blankstare;53419]

Bit like here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Amiga-1200-4GB-Hard-Drive-2200-Games-Installed-A1200_W0QQitemZ180479247786QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_VintageComputing_RL?hash=item2a0566c5aa#ht_2288wt_907

Erm...I always thought it's not allowed to sell such an harddrive, isn't it?

Justin
11th March 2010, 10:23
have you reported the item?

Kin Hell
11th March 2010, 10:40
Should I just do you a complete backup of my CF card and partition layout? 200mb Workbench, 300mb Work, 3.2GB Games (1800+ WHDload games).

I'll be in touch blankstare,

I quite like this...
3 partitions:
DH1: 1495MB – WHDLoad games A-H
DH2: 1877MB – WHDLoad games I-Z

Btw, what's the difference between CLASSIC and MAGIC wb???

MWB is the traditional Workbench enhancement package.
Classic WB is a revamped & pimped up verion of MWB which allows programs such as Dopus to run on a 68000 CPU, whereas it normally requires a 68020 CPU or faster. This is one of the enhancements under Classic WB.

http://classicwb.abime.net/

RE: the eBay fella in Meningitis City.....

Technically, he shouldn't be selling those CF cards as the Amiga OS is copyrighted, let alone some of the games. At least WHDLoad is unregistered. A bit naughty all round tbh.

Kin

WhoShotMrWhite
12th March 2010, 00:01
So... just to clarify... if anyone can do EXACTLY THIS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyFpPll91gU for my Miggy600/2MB 4gb CF Sandisk card, that would be AWESOME! and well worth the , or if anyone can do for free, even better!!!

Anyway, I'll be on MSN via here-> kevs355@yahoo.com all night after 6.30,or NOW!!! lemme know :D

Kin Hell
12th March 2010, 00:11
Ooops!

Muzer
12th March 2010, 00:23
So... just to clarify... if anyone can do EXACTLY THIS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyFpPll91gU for my Miggy600/2MB 4gb CF Sandisk card, that would be AWESOME! and well worth the , or if anyone can do for free, even better!!!

Anyway, I'll be on MSN via here-> kevs355@yahoo.com all night after 6.30,or NOW!!! lemme know :D
A Miggy 600 won't run CWB FULL, unless you have 3.0/3.1 ROMs (in which case you'd be better off with the 68k version anyway rather than FULL) - but I can do the Amiga 600 equivalent. Note that most WHD games won't run even on 2MB, so you might have to do some trickery to get many of the games to load (launch with minimal GUI or via command-line entirely). I recommend you look into getting an A1200 with at least a 4MB expansion (which adds onto the 2MB already present onboard) - but if you're willing to put in the effort to learn how to use the command line (which isn't too hard), you can probably get it working on an A600.

But if you want to send the CF and adaptor to me, I can install everything for you - I've set up two of my own Amigas (albeit with real hard drives) with CWB versions.

WhoShotMrWhite
12th March 2010, 01:04
Gonna get some more memory real soon Muzer, either a 2mb SRAM card or a A608 hopefully from Zetr0 soon! so feel free to do your 'normal thing' with it... but as far as the CWB installation goes, I don't mind having LITE or even http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/68k.htm send me your details via a PM and the 4gb card will be on it's way!!!

Got a 8mb expansion for my A1200 which was recently ordered from Amigakit. But I wanna start on the A600 first.

Kin Hell
12th March 2010, 01:07
@ ipod_sock

Fast Ram will help speed things up greatly.

What a nice gesture from Muzer too. You're a lucky fella. :)

Kin

WhoShotMrWhite
12th March 2010, 01:11
Ooops!

??? :dry:

@ ipod_sock

Fast Ram will help speed things up greatly.

What a nice gesture from Muzer too. You're a lucky fella. :)

Kin

True and it IS appreciated, he is being paid though ;)

BTW, why is all this stuff SO HARD!

And I still don't understand why it'snot seen on my desktop like the 128mb CF card is :(

Well, my msn is kevs355@yahoo.com and I'm about to pop out to catch Alice in Wonderland on Orange Wednesday ;).

In case anyone was wondering...it reminded me of a MAC, beautiful looking, but a bit **** and boring ;) fell asleep twice!

Kin Hell
12th March 2010, 01:59
Not all CF cards are compatible. Anyhoo, if Muzer can't get it set up for you, I'd be guessing it's incompatible.

Good luck all the same,

Kin

J.T.Kirk
12th March 2010, 02:07
SanDisk's CF cards are 100% compatible with Amiga though. :)

Jon Hare
12th March 2010, 13:06
So if you sell such an HD (2200+ WHDLoad Games on it) with an original Workbench it's allowed to do that? I really doubt that this is legal...

WhoShotMrWhite
12th March 2010, 13:46
To sell on eBay... debatable, but to help and assist a fellow Amigian brother out with WHDload software he already owns/has is alllllllllllllll gravy! :D

So, Muzer as we haven't had initial contact through MSN or PM yet, what you recommend I do...

-get a 3.1rom ? (which could take a few days to come)
-stick with the 2.0rom and make the best of it? with a SUBcrappy version of CWB?
-forget the A600 and start with the 1200

Bear in mind I realllllllllllly wanna A600 that can boot from WHDload?

Kin Hell
12th March 2010, 13:49
It's all a bit of a grey area tbh. Helping other people to achieve something they are struggling with should hardly be classed as Piracy imo.

Kin

Muzer
12th March 2010, 17:30
To sell on eBay... debatable, but to help and assist a fellow Amigian brother out with WHDload software he already owns/has is alllllllllllllll gravy! :D

So, Muzer as we haven't had initial contact through MSN or PM yet, what you recommend I do...

-get a 3.1rom ? (which could take a few days to come)
-stick with the 2.0rom and make the best of it? with a SUBcrappy version of CWB?
-forget the A600 and start with the 1200

Bear in mind I realllllllllllly wanna A600 that can boot from WHDload?
Using CWB GAAE is what I do - for WHDLoad, there isn't a whole load of difference; though if you want to do more than WHDLoad you might want to think about 3.x ROMs.

But yeah, so if you want me to do it, send me the CF card, the reader, and preferably the floppies for the games you want to install as well as the WB floppies - but I don't strictly speaking need these, it usually ends up with better results in my experience installing from floppies rather than with the "ready-made" WHDLoad installs. Obviously if there are too many or if you don't trust me (all my feedback seems to have disappeared since we switched to VB...), then I'll be able to do it without.

If you want to contact me in real time, I don't normally use MSN, but I can make exceptions to that rule ;). My MSN address is muzerakascooby@hotmail.co.uk (note to mods: I don't care if it gets spammed; the actual e-mail part of this account has long expired and I rarely use MSN. And I'd be more than happy for spammers to hammer MS's server whilst it sends out bounce messages.)

Kin Hell
12th March 2010, 19:03
@ ipod_sock

Don't worry about Muzer remarking he has no feedback with the switch to VB. I'm shed loads of feedback points short myself. I'll vouch for the fella. :thumbsup:

Kin

rkauer
12th March 2010, 22:00
I agree with Muzer. Green Amiga Alien Edition is way better for an unexpanded A600 (no Fast RAM).

Even a 1Mb SRAM PCMCIA card will get you able to run most WHDLoad games. Just add the kicks 1.3 & 2.05 to the kickstart drawer and ready to go!

WhoShotMrWhite
13th March 2010, 00:31
Muzer.... F**KING LEGEND... he knows his **** boys & girls!!! - :wooha: -

Muzer
13th March 2010, 00:39
Muzer.... F**KING LEGEND... he knows his **** boys & girls!!! - :wooha: -

Managed to just about sort it out over Windows Remote Assistance - currently installing his games :D

However, WinUAE + Mouse + Remote Assistance is not a good combination people ;)

I've had to use the command-line most of the time.

Kin Hell
13th March 2010, 11:16
Nice one Muzer. :thumbsup:

Kin

Muzer
13th March 2010, 12:14
Nice one Muzer. :thumbsup:

Kin

Where would I report the issue with the mouse in remote assistance? Is it actually a problem that is fixable? (Not having coded for Windows I have no idea how you access the mouse and why this isn't working for WinUAE properly). Basically, moving the local mouse one pixel causes the Amiga mouse to move across 1/8 of the screen!

WhoShotMrWhite
13th March 2010, 14:42
Muzer, googled around a bit and sussed out that it's the lack of memory in my Miggy600 that's stopping games/demos working so defo require that 2mb SRAM card, btw does anyone know of a single game/demo that would run with just my 2mb at the moment?

Next is to get some MODS in there, some ESSENTIAL demos like Desert Dream, Enigma and Digital Concert IV... then me a mega happy bunny!!!

Btw, I am allowed to post feedback for Muzer right? I did reward him with ten of the finest English coins, so that's a trade right? :dry:

Also, I know where to go and how to purchase registration BUT how enter serial on WHDload???

J.T.Kirk
13th March 2010, 14:47
Also, I know where to go and how to purchase registration BUT how enter serial on WHDload???

You'll receive a keyfile and instructions where to install it.:)

WhoShotMrWhite
13th March 2010, 16:23
Will I be able to use it for both a 600 and 1200 version or need to buy versions for both?

J.T.Kirk
13th March 2010, 16:28
Just one. You can have your keyfile in all your Amigas, but please don't spread it. :thumbsup:

WhoShotMrWhite
13th March 2010, 16:45
PAID! just have to wait a couple of days I think... :roll:

J.T.Kirk
13th March 2010, 16:51
Normally one-two days is enough.

WhoShotMrWhite
13th March 2010, 17:12
Btw, know 'm going a bit away from the thread now but anyone got the ACTUAL REAL DEAL .mod of Turrican 2, both intro and ingame for 1st level? all I can find is crappy remixes?!?!? does it REALLY exist ANYWHERE??? :(

J.T.Kirk
13th March 2010, 17:27
Check PM.:)

rkauer
13th March 2010, 19:47
Muzer, googled around a bit and sussed out that it's the lack of memory in my Miggy600 that's stopping games/demos working so defo require that 2mb SRAM card, btw does anyone know of a single game/demo that would run with just my 2mb at the moment?
<SNIP>

Download "No Good" demo from Chris Hodges page. Yes, it is the author of Poseidon USB Amiga stack.:cool:

Get your chances and download some demos from Aminet. Check the requirements first, if no need for fast RAM, grab!:thumbsup:

Jesus On E's is a good example: grab the patches to make it HD-installable. IIRC, the same for State of Art and some other popular demo.:)

WhoShotMrWhite
14th March 2010, 19:28
Yay! got the serial for WHDload... nows all I have to do is activate it :( Muzer? ;)

rkauer
14th March 2010, 19:46
IF you grabbed the "serial" from WHDLoad, site, that's it. Put the file in your L: drawer and start to play.

Best €20 an amigan can spend.

BTW: pirated keys conflicts with other computers when the original file is not used. In some, the "alternatively sourced" key even will not work at all, stopping the machine to run any installed games.

WhoShotMrWhite
14th March 2010, 20:46
IF you grabbed the "serial"...

BTW: pirated keys conflicts with other computers when the original file is not used. In some, the "alternatively sourced" key even will not work at all, stopping the machine to run any installed games.

Nice to know but kinda irrelevant no???

PAID! just have to wait a couple of days I think... :roll:

rkauer
14th March 2010, 22:53
Irrelevant for you, but a nice information for people other "schmart" people.;)

WhoShotMrWhite
14th March 2010, 23:07
lol, fair nuff... thought I was being branded a pirate! - to be fair, as well as a version of Windows XP years ago, this has got to be one of the few things I've bought, but anyone who is still supporting the Amiga...get's my support :D

btw, will the L: drawer be on my desktop of Classic Workbench Green Amiga Alien Edition???

rkauer
14th March 2010, 23:45
L: is a required system drawer, the very same as S:, C:, DEVS: , Libs:, etc (no, "etc" is not a system drawer).

But usually it don't have an icon at all. Open the System partition, right-click in any area of Workbench, from the menu select:
Window > Show > All (left-click it)

You'll see all "hidden"* drawers, including the L: one.:)

*Off course you can create real hidden drawers and archives in Workbench, but that's for advanced users and not necessary for this thread at all.

Skilgannon
15th March 2010, 15:30
I put my keyfile in C: And I agree - fantastic thing to purchase and the same key works with newer versions of the actual software which I think is around version 16 just now :)

Kin Hell
16th March 2010, 12:40
I concur with Skilgannon:

The WHDLoad .key file goes in the C: dir.

Kin

fitzsteve
16th March 2010, 12:42
Mine is in s: and working fine.

If you read the 'readme' there are a number of locations the file's can go in.

Steve.

WhoShotMrWhite
16th March 2010, 19:57
Cool beans, thanks for the all the advice and assistance guys, btw anyone care to assist me with the 4gb card? won't be recognised in the side PCMCIA slot!!! :dry:

If I canny get it going, I'll sell it on the bay and get another Sandisk, 2giger this time.

Muzer
16th March 2010, 19:58
I installed what I BELIEVE were the correct drivers into DOSDevices - is it CF0, guys? Or does GAAE not come with them?

WhoShotMrWhite
16th March 2010, 20:34
on MSN now... anyone fancy the challenge?

kevs355@yahoo.com

rkauer
16th March 2010, 22:18
I installed what I BELIEVE were the correct drivers into DOSDevices - is it CF0, guys? Or does GAAE not come with them?

Old versions of GAAE lacks CF.device and FAT95. Dunno about new version.

If you found a cf.device in storage/dosdrivers, then it have it. Check if FAT95 is in the L drawer.

Some 4Gb cards don't work with Amiga PCMCIA, no matter what.:banghead:

But almost all ancient 64/128/256Mb does.:thumbsup: Grab one of those old cards and use the 4Gb as an internal HD.;)

WhoShotMrWhite
29th March 2010, 21:36
So,anyone fancy the challenge over remote assistance? :blink:

Muzer
29th March 2010, 21:46
Not this very moment unfortunately; maybe tomorrow though.

WhoShotMrWhite
1st June 2010, 00:45
Know this was a while ago and I've made a few enhancements to my Miggy 600, a ROM switcher for example... 1.3 and 2.0 but still won't read my 4gb card and I dunno where to put my WHDload key :oops:

davideo
1st June 2010, 01:12
I dunno where to put my WHDload key :oops:

My WHDLoad key is in my S: Directory.

Dave G :cool:

StrontiumDog
1st June 2010, 01:49
C:
DEVS:
L:
S:

All of the above locations are checked by WHDLoad for the keyfile. Place it in one of those and all will be well :)

cosmicfrog
1st June 2010, 17:49
I`m confused, dos`t take much heheh

are you plugging the cf card in the pcmia port or are useing it on the ide header