A Question for the C64 users on here....

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
I'm currently doing a project to re-create the original Commodore 64 setup that my Dad had back in the 1980s. I have the breadbin C64, the 1541 drive (once I get it fixed) and the Brother M1009 printer that he had.

I am one component missing so far and that's the cable that connected the C64 to the printer. I remember that it was a serial to parallel Centronics interface and the one thing that stands out in my mind was that the interface translated the C64 graphics control codes and typed out the key sequence you needed to press in parantheses, e.g.

{ctrl-E}, {shift-ctrl-M} etc., etc. (impressive at the time)

What I need to know is, did all of the C64 to Centronics interfaces do this, or was it a particular brand, as I would like to track down that exact interface if I can, as it would complete the re-creation 100%.

My Dad doesn't know I'm doing this and I want to freak him out with the machine once it's complete, as he won't be able to figure out how I've remembered and re-created all of his original setup.

Thanks

Last edited:
Most of the interfaces did the Commodore graphics symbols, but not all of them did the ASCII translation.

Sounds like it could have been a Xetec Super Graphix or maybe a Cardco G-Wiz or Plus G.

I'm not sure if this has any influence on the enquiry but i think he bought the C64 through Dixons. Would they have offered printer interfaces like this back in the '80s?

It wasn't a Xetec unit; the one I remember wasn't much bigger than the Centronics plug itself at the printer end and I don't recall any 'black box' on the cable.

Found on the other bay if it's helpful to you

EB-C128-Parallel.jpg

I doubt that Dixons would have sold such an interface, they would be more likely to try and flog something like an MPS801/803 printer.

All the interfaces I've seen that connect to the serial port had a 'box' on the cable. The ones that just look like a cable were connected to the user port and simply passed data straight though to the printer, no fancy graphics codes or anything.

It could possibly have been something made by YER (York Electronic Research) but I'm not familiar with their stuff so couldn't say for sure.

To be honest, it's so long ago now that i'm a bit fuzzy on some of the details. The cable may have had an inline box on it but I don't recall it. My mind is recalling a blue Centronics connector with a grey box attached to it at the printer end....it may have had a ribbon cable too, come to think of it....

Thanks for the info though; at least I can cross the Dixons idea off the list.

PM sent to Gazcbm to see if he can come up with the goods.

OMG!!

I think that could be the one!!!

My Dad was posted in Germany when he was in the Army, so it's possible that he bought it there.

Attachments

• WUT..gif
    WUT..gif
    12.8 KB · Views: 1
Some years ago I built a simple (pin to pin) interface (user port >> centronics).
The 'user' interface connector is not easy to find (I see some of them from time to time on ebay), but you can trim an edge connector.

This simply interface works with Final Cart III, as this cart provides support for Centronics printer.

I have to dig my notes to let you know the pinouts, but you need a cartridge that supports Centronics printer, or a 'special' cable...

update:

I used this :
http://pinouts.ru/ParallelPortsCables/C64CentronicsPrinter_pinout.shtml

Chris

Last edited:
@Merlin

I have multiple RS-232 adapters for the C64. I know the ones I have do not look like the image above but I'll let you know what I have later today. :) I'll also try to figure out if any of them do the translation you mentioned.

Heather

@ SdG

It's not the end of the World if they don't translate the graphics; I was just saying what I remembered, in case it jogged someone's memory.

It would be nice if I could get it all working again including a printer interface, so please let me know what you have that might be going spare.

(y)

Since I don't use printers with my C64 setup, they are all going spare at the moment. :D I'll see what I have and let you know. I'll take care of ya!

Heather

@ SdG

:inlove:

:yourock:

Just to make rkauer jealous....:run:

I have an okimate 20 printer, it works with the disk drive port:D Don't use it, but don't send it to uk, it is nice, small and compact, but it can't be shipped because it feels heavy..

Aah the fun I had with the banner software, can't remember it's name, creating large banners.;.

C64 had alway's managed to do great stuff with small hardware(y)

Wow! I had an unexpected leave of absence from AmiBay since I last posted on this topic. It's just been a crazy busy week. Here's an update for you Merlin. :)

I found a few of the adapters that I have. I know I have a duplicate of one of the adapters but I have not yet been able to find either one. Once I find it, it's yours for the cost of postage. :D I'll try to find it this weekend.

Sorry you've not been feeling well. I've had an abscess before and it is some of the worst pain I've ever felt!

Take care,

Heather

Hey there!

Here's pictures of the Centronics interface for you. :) It's a Cardco but I couldn't tell exactly what model, but it's yours if you'd like it. I'll send you a PM.

:D

Heather

Attachments

• Cardco1.jpg
    Cardco1.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Cardco2.jpg
    Cardco2.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom