the scallyman

Lamebrain
AmiBayer
Country
Newark
Region
Nottinghamshire UK
Greetings
I have just bought a 1200 for nostalgic reasons all is well apart from i cannot write anything to the WB partition on my HD...In all my 15 years As a Miggy owner 85-99 have i come acroos this problem b4 any help much appreciated
The Scallyman:help:

Open up a CLI & type info

Are any of your partitiions Validating or do they all show Read/Write ok??

I've never had this happen myself, but have heard of others suffering this problem. Basically, something has changed the attributes flags on the files, making them "READ ONLY"

A disk utility such as AmiTools or Disk Salv might be able to fix the problem for you. QuarterBack Tools is another option. The problems with these programs are they can not access Hard drive Partitions beyond the 4GB boundary.

If you have no sucess here, a re-install of the OS should work a treat. (y)

Kin

Workbench on HD is write protected

Thanks for your quick reply
1..DH1 is fine

2..On boot up a message reads workbench is locked i do not know if this is anything to do with it but there is noting in the start up sequence or env-archive
3..only 5 WB disks were with the Amiga guess which one is missing......install disk...what a bummer..

i will try the other stuff
the scallyman

I can email you an .adf file of the install disk if you need it.

Can you handle .adf files okay or would you prefer .DMS?

Kin

Workbench on HD is write protected

It looks pretty terminal as i am unable to write anything to dh0...

As i said ive just bought this amiga and ive also bought a pcmcia card with the 4 gig card but that hasnt arrived yet ..

I would very much appreciate you sending it to me not to sure about adf files though never used them before
scallyman

Last edited:
Eamil addresses in threads is a bit of a no no m8. Edit your post above & remove it before the Mods see it. ;)

Are you ok with a .dms file of the Disk? By this, I'm making sure you have DMS to re-instate the image to a blank floppy disk.

Also, what version of Workbench please?

Kin

Validation errors are a common part of FFS. If you can try to install SFS it would better.

@ Phantom.

These are not validation issues. Basically, he can not write to the hard drive, but he can read. I know if you type "info" in a shell or cli window, the info listed shows the status of the partitions etc. It would say Validating if it was.
It should also say Read/Write if it isn't self-validating (correcting the drives Bitmap image) so this is all a bit of a dead donkey imo & the best solution is to re-install.

I was kinda hoping if he typed Info in the cli, he would see DH0: showing Read Only.

Kin

Oops. Ok then. But yes, as you said. Re-install is the best and only solution.

Yes in CLI it does say workbench read only so how do i change that.....

<snip>

A disk utility such as AmiTools or Disk Salv might be able to fix the problem for you. QuarterBack Tools is another option. The problems with these programs are they can not access Hard drive Partitions beyond the 4GB boundary.

<snip>

Have a look here for DiskSalv by David Haynie. ;)

http://aminet.net/disk/salv

The validator could even fail, forcing the user to use a third-party disk tool like DiskSalv to make the volume writable again - and DiskSalv could only be used on partitions on the first 4 GB of the disk

Taken from Here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_Fast_File_System

Kin

I have the latest DiskSalv version if you want it. I don't know if it's under license even now. :shrug:

DiskSalv Version 11.32 on aminet is by David Haynie, the C= man....

DiskSalv4 is another entity all together.

The aminet version should be able to repair the Validator, thereby making the DH0: volume writable again. ;)

Kin

Please, guys!:roll:

the scallyman: just type in a CLI window:
lock Sys: OFF
Also edit your startup-sequence to avoid doing that every time you want to write something to the system partition.:whistle:

Can I nominate Rkauer as our very own AmigaDos Guru :bowdown:

I didn't know the command even existed :oops:

TC :LOL:

:oops: No need to, my good friend.

I also struggled on commands many times before. Lock & protect are those most unused commands in AmigaDOS.

But they have they own usefulness to avoid children erasing the boot partition, or virii acting up.

I remember quite some virii that write to core commands to spread themselves over the HD. A really annoying one I "catch", back on the days, was one that turns the mouse pointer into something "not safe for work environment"...:oops:

Yes, you know what I meant...:shhh:

Please, guys!:roll:

the scallyman: just type in a CLI window:
lock Sys: OFF
Also edit your startup-sequence to avoid doing that every time you want to write something to the system partition.:whistle:

That's a solution, but not permanent imho. It's better to re-install WB.:)

Back
Top Bottom