Rating - 100%
390   0   1
Country
Netherlands
Region
NH
Hi lads,

Selling a faulty ZX Spectrum.
I see a (c) Sinclair screen, but the rest of the screen is filled with what seem to be I Ching symbols. :)

Haven't got the skill to further examine nor fix her, hope someone else does.

Besides the display issue, it's in pretty good cosmetic shape.
Comes with rf lead and original PSU, and part of the original styro insert (which is in pretty bad shape)

Asking 20 euro, plus postage. Paid via paypal as a gift.

Pictures attached, showing the screen issue too.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 0
16 or 48k? and issue of main board is what?(revision) if you know that it would great.

16 or 48k? and issue of main board is what?(revision) if you know that it would great.

I don't have a clue mate, assume its a 16k.
Can i figure out the mobo revision without opening it up?

in the state its in now.no.

the only way to find out its memory and revision is to look inside at the motherboard.and you have to be carefull of the two ribbons for the keyboard there really fragile.
so if your unsure and dont have the original paper work for this or anything dont open it.

I would like to express interest pending a few questions.

PM sent.

---------- Post added at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:09 ----------

Ohhh forgot to ask, if you type in does this come out on the screen or is it stuck with what you have shown us?

Thanks

Russ

New Keyboard membranes are available and are of much superior quality, PM rwap for more info.

The problem with the screen is that one or two of the lower Memory chips have died - these will need to be replaced. These can be source on AmiBay, in fact there are a couple of sellers available currently.

I'm not convinced it's a lower RAM problem. The Sinclair Research message at the bottom is displaying perfectly. That never happens when the RAM fails, you get absolutely nothing readable on the screen. It could be a ULA problem.

Bryce.

The serial for this is 014-860599

which makes me think its a 48K Issue 2/3 board.

Luckily I have a good supply of 4116's so that's not a problem,
might be worth sourcing a ULA.

BP

---------- Post added at 23:41 ---------- Previous post was at 23:37 ----------

Payment has been sent.... (y)

Does anyone have a 'spare' ULA?

I will confirm the revision but I am sure it will be a 6C001-7,
which is the ULA normally installed on an Issue 3 board.

BP

OK, I am a happy bunny!!!! :D

Spectrum arrived today, looks in great shape and probably never been opened! I noticed that a sticker was missing from the bottom and my suspicions were verified when I ran a memory test.

16K Issue 3B motherboard! Just what I was looking for! (y)

I used one of my PSU's and it booted first time and all the keys work too!

I have not tested the supplied PSU as it has a euro plug on it, so I am wondering if this is playing up.

Happy days!

:blink:

Good one mate :)
Must be the PSU i had then.
Oh well, it was gathering dust anyway, and i spent the cash on a long wanted PS2 slim, in the right color (black :) )

Just a bit of an update.

I have tested the supplied PSU (1.4Amp) and this seems to work for a little then the system dies (white border with flashing blocks).

Plug back in my other spare PSU (1.85Amp) and all is well!

My thoughts are either PSU issue or power regulators on the main board..

Any thoughts people?

I'd say the 1.4A supply is on its way out. Fix it or dump it before it fails completely and damages your ZX.

Bryce.

If it's the original ZX transformer (with the ramp at one end of the top), then it's moulded closed. There's only the transformer, a capacitor and a rectifier inside, so it's hardly worth repairing and it will probably look **** after you've gouged open the cover.

Bryce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom