PDA

View Full Version : Closed Cheap/Crappy Old PC ISA Soundcard

CU_AMiGA
29th October 2013, 18:08
Hi

Am looking out for any ole cheap pc isa soundcard. Doesnt have to be anything special. Not looking to pay too much for one. If anyone has any that they don't want then please get back to me.

Many thanks

Chinners
29th October 2013, 18:23
I have a few sitting in an "isa clearance" box.

Is there anything specific you need? Is it aimed at DOS, Win, Amiga, Machine X. Is a Plug'n'Play card okay for your needs?

CU_AMiGA
29th October 2013, 18:31

Is there anything specific you need? Is it aimed at DOS, Win, Amiga, Machine X. Is a Plug'n'Play card okay for your needs?

hi thanks for the reply. i need a soundcard for the gameport to use with midi! i already have a sb16 for the serious fm soundcard bit but unfortuantely suffers from the "hangine note" bug. so am looking at getting an old one that would be ok for dos/win98. probs an old style dma/irq one would be the best.

Chinners
30th October 2013, 12:54

hi thanks for the reply. i need a soundcard for the gameport to use with midi! i already have a sb16 for the serious fm soundcard bit but unfortuantely suffers from the "hangine note" bug. so am looking at getting an old one that would be ok for dos/win98. probs an old style dma/irq one would be the best.

Once consern I would have is that you would have 2 devices operating on the Adlib port (388?), which may lead to all kinds of crazyness.

Saying that, I have a Yamaha based sound card that you can have for the price of postage. It's plug 'n' pray, and I think you can disable the FM portion of the device... I'll have to check if you can use the gameport as a midi out.

CU_AMiGA
30th October 2013, 18:38

Once consern I would have is that you would have 2 devices operating on the Adlib port (388?), which may lead to all kinds of crazyness.

Saying that, I have a Yamaha based sound card that you can have for the price of postage. It's plug 'n' pray, and I think you can disable the FM portion of the device... I'll have to check if you can use the gameport as a midi out.

i think it would be ok. what yamaha card is it?

---------- Post added at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

apparently this needs to be a non plug n pray one! just an old style one with a gameport!

Chinners
30th October 2013, 20:04
apparently this needs to be a non plug n pray one! just an old style one with a gameport!

In that case, to be brutally honest, I would look out to replace your existing sound blaster. If you need a non p'n'p card, that'll probably use a proper opl chip, and not have the hanging note bug anyway :)

tokyoracer
30th October 2013, 20:38
What MIDI devices are you looking at using on the soundcard? That may be important.

CU_AMiGA
31st October 2013, 18:10
@chinners

Most soundblasters seem to be infected with the hanging note bu. So far I have failed to find a SB with a "good" DSP version.

@tokyoracer

Its for an external Yamaha midi device, the Yamaha mu15

CU_AMiGA
4th November 2013, 17:48
soundcard now purchased on ebay.