Quantum Viking II 9.1LVD setup help required.

ElectroBlaster

Country
Exeter, Devon
I am currently refurbing an old Micronet single-bay SCSI Case. I really like the dinky little footprint of this thing but has had an hard life. It is too good for scrap so im doing my best to clean it up.

I am not really that clued up with scsi stuff but I get the gist of having to have termination at the start and end of a chain.

I will be using the SCSI part of a Blizzard 1230-IV.

Connection wise the case is standard stuff:

2 x 50pin centronics
1 x 50pin IDC internal
ID select etc
Internal psu
Cooling fan

---

I have so far:

Cleaned entire case
Pulled and cleaned psu board
Replaced the dead 40mm fan

I plan to fit:

Quantum Viking II 9.1LVD

50pin to 68pin adaptor block (To join up 50pin IDC to 68pin connector on drive)

---

Now I need to wire all this up, will there be anything I need to ensure is enabled/connected on the drive?

The drive connection options are:

A0
A1
A2
A3
SE/TE
LEDPWR
WAIT SPIN
SPIN DELAY
RSVD2
NC

I assume this:

A0, A1, A2, A3, connected to the ID Select switch.

LEDPWR (Case led)

Will I require SE/TE (termination power?)

Anything else I should be worrying about?

Thank you guys :D

This is an LVD drive so it does not provide for bus termination. The bus must be terminated externally. Typically at the 2nd centronics port of the SCSI case, with a plug-in terminator.
SCSI kit is Fast SCSI which is part of SCSI-II specs, so formally per specifications termination must be active. Active termination requires termination power, but I don't think the SCSI kit actually provides it. Therefore:
1) Get an active centronics-plug terminator for the SCSI box
2) enable termination power on the drive

This will take care of proper bus termination. Even if the SCSI kit does provide termination power, there's no problem with it being provided by two devices on the bus. And of course if you can only find a passive centronics terminator, just get it, in that case you don't care about termination power so you can leave it disabled if you want. As long as the total bus length is relatively short (1.5 metres or less) passive termination won't be a problem with running a Fast SCSI bus.

However, the drive being wide may not startup in narrow mode. Seagates generally behave well, and western digitals generally do not. I've never played around with a Quantum though.
If you find that despite proper configuration the drive won't show up, it requires bias voltage on the upper lines, which of course won't be there as they're unconnected on a narrow controller. This requires changing your 50-68 adapter to one with high-byte termination, which will provide that voltage (high-byte termination is of course pointless on a narrow-only bus, it's the bias voltage "side-effect" we want from this enhanced 50-68 adapter).

:) Thank you for the info!

I have some more options available, I managed to grab a bundle of scsi drives and some are better suited to what im trying to sort out.

I currently have an unused ibm 50pin drive sitting in atari acsi case. I will probably pull that out as a fallback if this quantum wont play ball.

Back
Top Bottom