Amiga 500 Rev6 - Adding memory to board spaces!

ElectroBlaster

Country
Exeter, Devon
I have a Rev6 board here that I would possibly add memory chips to the empty spaces on the board!

So I need the chips, sockets and the little resister thingy's, but do I need anything else?

Will it just work?

Thanx :)

What I ment was, each ram chip has a little resister or whatever it is! I thought about dropping in some sockets and then making sure everything is in place as each empty space also has the resistor missing. Not even sure it is a resister? Thanx for the link tho, just tidying up after sorting my storage shed and will sit down and have a ganders at it :)

/Merlin readies the infraction points for roy_bates, for linking to a Doomy video...:picard

You do know that he's Doomy, don't you?

Is that the only video you could find on this? I would have preferred to have viewed a normal web page, instead of having my senses assaulted by that video clip.

Last edited:
Doomy in effect :LOL:
Now where's that legendary music video that's only about amiga... ;)

@Electroblaster
Caution with the sockets, the keyboard will more than likely NOT sit down properly once the chips are installed! It's only a few millimetres of elevation, but enough to break things.

The missing bits are not resistors, they're decoupling capacitors and you don't really need to install them. If you must, they're 0.33 uF each.

Note that these extra 4 chips behave exactly like a standard 512 KB trapdoor RAM expansion (i.e. they use exactly the same lines). Once you install them the trapdoor is rendered useless, save for the real time clock. This also means that they can be either chip RAM or slow/ranger RAM depending on Agnus revision and JP2/JP7A configuration.

Last edited:
/Merlin readies the infraction points for roy_bates, for linking to a Doomy video...:picard

You do know that he's Doomy, don't you?

Is that the only video you could find on this? I would have preferred to have viewed a normal web page, instead of having my senses assaulted by that video clip.

yep, i did know:LOL:
thats why i called it a cheesy crap video,so...you dont like the word sodder either?:D

Last edited:
[Sam & Dave on]

"I'm a soul-der man.... da da da daaaa, da da da daaaa.... "

[/Sam & Dave off]

you dont like the word sodder either?:D

Does anyone?

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=40809

:laugh:

merry christmas everyone:LOL::LOL::LOL:

just thank the gods doomy didn't sing at the end of that vid:whistle::D

---------- Post added at 23:25 ---------- Previous post was at 23:20 ----------

Thanx :)

What I ment was, each ram chip has a little resister or whatever it is! I thought about dropping in some sockets and then making sure everything is in place as each empty space also has the resistor missing. Not even sure it is a resister? Thanx for the link tho, just tidying up after sorting my storage shed and will sit down and have a ganders at it :)

no mate,its not a resistor as everyone has said its a capacitor.
anyway,if you do do this the trapdoor will be rendered useless.its up to you though.

Last edited:
You guys are nuts! lmao

I will defo perform the cut-trace mod. I did it years ago way way back on my first a500. My first ever proper hack lol!

This time I will put in a throw switch so it can be reversed.

This will be ok with an ACA500?

I have to find some ram chips now, I thought of the sockets as knowing my luck... they will go faulty or something... I will leave the sheilding out aswell, will this help?

Oh and "Happy Christmas" :D

Last edited:
You guys are nuts! lmao

I will defo perform the cut-trace mod. I did it years ago way way back on my first a500. My first ever proper hack lol!

I have to find some ram chips now, I thought of the sockets as knowing my luck... they will go faulty or something... I will leave the sheilding out aswell, will this help?

if your not using the shielding it should just about fit with low profile sockets.

i thought you already had the ram chips?

anyway,it will be ok with the aca.ive tried one with mine.

I technically do have some but... they are sitting on an old memory expansion which is a bit worse for wear... so if the salvage goes ok then all is good! but knowing my luck it will not work out right lol!

You guys are nuts! lmao

if your not using the shielding it should just about fit with low profile sockets.

i thought you already had the ram chips?

anyway,it will be ok with the aca.ive tried one with mine.

The capacitors are 0.1uf ceramic mono type.

Sheet #8 of the rev 6A/7 schematics states 0.33 uF.
Not saying 0.1 uF won't work, even none will work, but if he's going to install them he might as well go for the official figure.

@BLTCON0

My apologies, I clearly made a slight error there, thanks for catching it.

The capacitors are just decoupling capacitors for the Memory IC's 0.1uf would work as would anything under 0.5uf - There isn't that much frequency noise on the A500/A500+ due to those lovely whopping ground planes - in fact quite little, like the A2000 (rev 4.5 and higher) the A500 / A500+ motherboard is arguably over engineered for its time.

Back
Top Bottom