salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Allright, as some of you already know i got lucky in obtaining this beauty from dibs. https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=5222
Now, this card needs some careful work to be done. But since it appears that your daily (or nightly should i say) thirst for hw prOn is not yet quenched, i figured i'd present the item...:)
Well, here she is, in all her green glory!

KASMIN1.jpg

The card arrived in the box you see, which was inside a parcel, which was inside another parcel, which was inside a poly cover, which was surrounded by other cardboard boxes, and the whole thing inside a much bigger box! :D
That goes to say that dibs has done a great job to protect it. :bowdown:
So, here's the "enemy" i have to face:

That's at the front, just above the RAM chips, probably nothing to worry about, but seems to require a continuity test here and there, and some cleanup.
KASMIN2.jpg

And here's the big part.

KASMIN3.jpg

And a closer shot of the traces. I only wish i could resize them pics here, but the resizing tool doesn't seem to listen....

KASMIN4.jpg

Well, that's all for now. Once the repairs are finished i'll explain what i intend to try using this card for... Stay tuned!!http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm242/salax54/KASMIN2.jpg

Have fun with the card:) I am waiting for the result post. If you manage or not (y)

@ salaxi54

Looks like a job for the old 30AWG wire.. it shouldn't be too difficult to isolate the damaged areas and bypass them.

Have phun, can't wait to see this beauty in hot action so don't forget to post moar and moar piccies, yeah. :D

That looks like fun :) - it might be worth just jumping wires from points rather than replacing those tracks in situ, as they look quite close together and single strands of wire are rather challenging to hold in place :D - especially when they're close to each other.

@ salaxi54

That's the stuff!! Kynar wire iz teh r0xx0rz!!

@ Chiark

I know what you mean, Kynar wire can be quite springy; Sellotape or Blu-Tak is quite good at holding the main length of wire still until you can tack the soldered ends in place. A dab of hot glue finishes the job off and ensures that the wire doesn't break free.

(y)

Ahhh, blu tak: so many uses for a bodger! :D

Bodger? I wouldn't let Zetr0 hear you calling him that....:whistle:

:LOL:

LMAO!!!!

If i may I use a slightly different method, thats more inkeeping with restoration.

I would use a fine abrasive rubber / cloth and pull back the laqure over the tracks...

I would then clean the area and TIN the tracks...

Using bare 30AWG that (has no protecive sheath) I would tack one end, hold it down with a small set of tweezers and then solder the other end to the track.

Once thats done I would hold the oposite side down and run the iron over the other end to confirm its position.

and as they say rinse and repeat =D

there are many uses for blue tack, but I dont find these in soldering lol.

LMAO!!!!

If i may I use a slightly different method, thats more inkeeping with restoration.

I would use a fine abrasive rubber / cloth and pull back the laqure over the tracks...

I would then clean the area and TIN the tracks...

Using bare 30AWG that (has no protecive sheath) I would tack one end, hold it down with a small set of tweezers and then solder the other end to the track.

Once thats done I would hold the oposite side down and run the iron over the other end to confirm its position.

and as they say rinse and repeat =D

there are many uses for blue tack, but I dont find these in soldering lol.

And breathe! :LOL:

@ZeTr0: do you mean you wouldn't recommend the shielded one? I know restoration can be of various levels, most prefferably of good aesthetics too! Now, these traces are so darn close to each other, the pics are really largely magnified.. I was thinking that shielded adds a bit more on the safe side..:)
Anyway, now it's already ordered, i should receive the 30gauge wire by Friday (not deffinite, due to holidays) in which case Easter weekend should turn out very interesting :D

Allrighty, the wire has arrived! I tried as much as possible with this, but aesthetically it isn't the perfect thing.. :)
However, continuity tests have showed that the result is correct. Them traces are so close together, even the soldering iron tip's heat would de-solder the ones next to each one i was soldering! I also used some hot glue to keep things in place, and after soldering the first 2 wires (insulated) i decided to remove insulation from the other three. Plastic coat would melt anyway. After the initial tests with my A2000 i will clean it all a bit more and decide if i'll give it a coat of lacquer before finally putting it back on.

KASMIN6.jpg

KASMIN8.jpg

KASMIN7.jpg

Well, i'll let you be the judges to this :)

Thats how its done BABY!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!

this method defines ones skill and ability as well as a new evolved level of OCD =D

looks awesome my friend =)

might i suggest spray-PCB laqure =) *shake REALLY well before use*

That's some very nice work there....(y)(y)(y)

Even nail varnish will protect the solder job. Steal some non-coloured from wife. I don't have one here any more to steal from.

Thanks for your kind comments lads (y)
@rkauer: I consider you luckier than me sir, for i still have a Mrs. and 6 Amigas (that's four less than yours!!!!) :D

Don't know if luckier, but at least now I can with Amigas.

My son loves my Amigas, too. He always ask me (in fact, he pulls me in the Amiga direction to turn they on) to play with the available one. Then he dances while the game loads.

Great work! This is why it needed a new home :) I've PM'd you with links to the card libraries, test/paint software and some docs. Do you get it to show up in the autoconfig screen? (press and hold both mouse buttons on power-up)

My daughter (almost 1yr) also loves the Amiga, but she might have just deleted some software with random mouse madness... off to check(!).

Oh hear ye, hear ye, :)

These following pictures might not mean a lot to many viewers, but i'm certain at least one will be more than happy to see them! (y)

KASMIN9.jpg

KASMIN10.jpg

KASMIN11.jpg

Let it be known in Amigaland that there is no non-working Kasmin card left! :D
As Doommaster would say "only Amiga, makes it possible..." :whistle:
Well, the crt isn't the best way to take pictures, but it was the only thing available at the moment. I believe the hard work is past now, it's just that the A2000 was a bit "bitchy" about the other expansions, so i had to remove a few cards from in there...

Back
Top Bottom