PDA

View Full Version : Amstrad / ZX Spectrum +3 Floppy Drive Hack.

Chinners
2nd April 2010, 20:32
Well, I recently acquired an empty floppy case from Clueless - probably a bit of a strange request you may think? Well, here's why.

1st. Take one standard PC HD Floppy. Here's a black facia one I got from evilbay for a few quid.

Now, I need to make sure it only operates in Low Density mode. This is easily achieved by shorting out the High Density Floppy sensor. This means that even if a High Density disk is inserted, the drive thinks it is low density, so no need to tape over the hole any more.

Now. The drive's ready signal needs to be "always on" for the Amstrad and Spectrum to recognise. A solder bridge from ground to pin 33 sorts this out. Plus, due to the physical hardware of the CPC drive, I need to be able to manually select which head of the 3.5" drive to use (The CPC / +3 floppy drives were single sided - the disks were flipped to change side). if Pin 32 is grounded, Side B is selected, otherwise Side A.

Also and the ability to select "primary" or "secondary" floppy will be a nice thing to have. Grounding pin 12 makes the drive secondary, leaving it open makes it primary. Leaving it open has the added benefit of seemingly overriding the internal drive. This is totally optional, but as the drive is only ever going to be used for Low Density floppy disks, I thought this would be a good idea.

Next - power. Neither the +3 or CPC had a power out for external floppy drives, so I need to power this somehow. I had an old phone charger, which had a mini usb connector on the end, and guess what - its 5v, ideal for the drive unit.

The wire from the charger connected to one of these will make the IDEAL floppy power source.

Getting data signals to and from the drive would be useful. Fortunately, the "Drive B" port on the back of both the Spectrum and CPC 6128 is identical to an old style 5.25 floppy connector, so you need an old skool PC floppy cable with both 5.25" and 3.5" connectors on it:

And after a bit of butchering, the cable looks like so, - perfect for connecting the drive.

Right. Fun time! Out with the Dremel and drill - its time to attack the unit Clueless kindly supplied. Lets have a game of Spot the Difference.

Before:

After:

I have added 2 5mm holes to stick the rocker switches I have bought through, and "widened" the old floppy connector jack hole, so the new ribbon cable can fit without being folded.

Chinners
2nd April 2010, 20:40
Continued.

Right, I need to block some holes, and narrow the ribbon cable hole slightly, just to make it look a bit more professional. Araldite and bits of metal cut from floppy disk shutters will sort this out:
(please note - the wife was annoyed I used her best kitchen scissors for cutting metal, so if you do this, don't tell the owner of the scissors!)

Now, lets go overboard with a glue gun to make sure things dont move:

And finally, time to put the case unit back on.

Hmmm. That will not do. Look at the colour of that. Its supposed to be attached to a Black Spectrum, or a Dark Grey CPC. Time to dig out a can of "Retr0Dark"... (ok, Ford Mercury Grey spray paint will do!)

And, once it's stuck all back together.

Front:

Ahh, that colour is much better.

Back:

Does it work? Well, on my floppy driveless CPC:

The Floppy drive side select works. This floppy has Jack The Nipper on Side a, and Renegade on side b

And yes, games load in. Neat!

I now have one fully working, self powered 3.5" floppy drive for my CPC6128, that can be drive A or B with the flip of a switch, and can select sides at the flip of another switch. I built something similar over a year ago when I had my Spectrum +3, and yes, it worked perfectly on that!

Kin Hell
2nd April 2010, 21:55
Awesome work. :nod:

How about editing the title of this brilliant work to suggest PC to Amstrad/Spectrum Floppy Hack or similar.

Best wishes,

Kin

clueless
2nd April 2010, 21:59
Thats turned out really well. Some nice modding indeed, good to see what you were up to. :thumbsup:

J.T.Kirk
2nd April 2010, 22:01
Congrats! Really nice modda. :thumbsup:

Chinners
2nd April 2010, 22:40
Awesome work. :nod:

How about editing the title of this brilliant work to suggest PC to Amstrad/Spectrum Floppy Hack or similar.

Best wishes,

Kin

I did try, but I can see how...

(ok, I looked slightly harder and found it.!)

Zetr0
3rd April 2010, 04:10
@Jasey

NICE!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

tokyoracer
3rd April 2010, 04:36
If you ever consider selling one of these (or making them for peeps) please let me know! :)

Kin Hell
3rd April 2010, 09:37
It looks like one of the Mods is going to have to change the main title as it still lists as a "Floppy Drive Hack". This appears to be something to do with the Pre-title selection options. :whistle:

Kin

meega
3rd April 2010, 12:15
It's an awesome mod. :thumbsup:

Kin Hell
3rd April 2010, 12:25
@ Jasey

I've PM'd TC to change the thread title for you. :thumbsup:

Kin

TheCorfiot
3rd April 2010, 12:27
@all

Done , It certainly deserves to be stickied as well :p

Excellent Mod & a useful resource.

TC :thumbsup:

Chinners
6th April 2010, 14:22
@ Jasey

I've PM'd TC to change the thread title for you. :thumbsup:

Kin

Thanks. I really should have thought a bit more before I posted, but hey - "nay 'arm done" ;)

---------- Post added at 14:22 ---------- Previous post was at 14:19 ----------

@all

Done , It certainly deserves to be stickied as well :p

Excellent Mod & a useful resource.

Oooh! Thanks.

I just fixed a lot of the English in the original post - I think I rushed it a bit too much... hopefully nobody will notice :shhh:
:thumbsup:

xc8
6th April 2010, 14:30
BTW, avoid using HD disks if you can, as anything written to them will quickly deteriorate...

Chris

UNiX
20th July 2010, 17:23
do you know where to get a floppy case like that? i did some searches... but nothing found. Also great mod... i know something similar has been done before, but you needed a really old floppy drive with a signal switch, cant wait to try it out....

thanks

Witcher1979
20th July 2010, 17:43
do you know where to get a floppy case like that? i did some searches... but nothing found. Also great mod... i know something similar has been done before, but you needed a really old floppy drive with a signal switch, cant wait to try it out....

thanks

The long floppy metal cases? I have one

UNiX
20th July 2010, 19:30

thanks

The long floppy metal cases? I have one

is that the thing that encloses the floppy disk drive in it?
:wooha:
would you be prepared to part with it?
how much? postage price?

if not, do you know where to get one from?

UNiX
21st July 2010, 16:37
Also, the bit which i find a bit unclear is which wire goes to what (the ac adapter and floppy power cable).

From what i understand... the red (5V) goes to the pin striped AC wire (5V)... but what about the rest? No ground?

rkauer
24th July 2010, 21:17
Can someone tell me if this hack also works on the grey Spectrum 2+?

I don't know if the 2+ have a built controller, anyway.:?:

TheCorfiot
25th July 2010, 00:05
@rk

The grey +2 does not have an onboard floppy controller, I believe you can hack a floppy drive onto the +2a though.

TC :)

rkauer
25th July 2010, 03:46
:sigh:

What do I need for a 2+ non-a? Beside this hack, of course.

AndyLandy
25th July 2010, 09:40
The +2A is just a +3 with a tape drive instead of the floppy disk drive. It's got +3DOS in the ROM and all the requisite hardware to plug an external disk drive on to it.

I don't believe the normal +2 has any of these things, so I'm not even sure you can attach a floppy drive to it. :(

TheCorfiot
25th July 2010, 10:45
@rkauer

The grey +2a is more of a legacy hardware solution, some would say based on the Sinclair 128K.

The black +2a is a different hardware platform based on an ASIC and it is very similar to the +3a, as Andy pointed out the PCB's between the two are very similar, so adding the floppy is no biggie, Zetr0 I think is in the process of doing this with his +2a

My advice is, as you have a grey +2 (as I have too). I wouldn't bother with a floppy, go down the DivIDE route.

You won't regret it.

You can plug a DivIDE into ANY spectrum, from rubber key 48K to +3a
In fact with your grey +2 you will benefit from running 128K enhanced sound software as well as std 48K

TC :cool:

Zetr0
25th July 2010, 12:04
@Thread

There exists 2 different Spectrum 128k +2 models

(In Battleship Grey) The classic Spectrum 128 +2 (and most compatible)

http://newton.sunderland.ac.uk/~specfreak/MySpeccies/ZX-Spectrum-128k%2B2.jpg

(In Chic Black) The Spectrum 128 +2A/B (uses the same +3 mobo)
http://newton.sunderland.ac.uk/~specfreak/MySpeccies/ZX-Spectrum-128k%2B2a.jpg

Theres no technological difference between 'A' and 'B' revision - the only difference is where they are manufactured, the +A was manufactured in Hong Kong and the +B was manufactured in Taiwan

some more wikilicous info (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX_Spectrum)

Unfortuantely the only Spectrum's that can be hacked in this way is the +2A/B and +3 - to add a disk drive to the classic +2 you would need an interface one or perhaps a DivIDE as an alternative.

With my +3, I plan to add a 64MB CF as a hard disk, - its a simple wire up to the Z80 and rom update. - this gives me a few of my favourite games and a developing platform =)

UNiX
25th July 2010, 22:54
Also, the bit which i find a bit unclear is which wire goes to what (the ac adapter and floppy power cable).

From what i understand... the red (5V) goes to the pin striped AC wire (5V)... but what about the rest? No ground?

could someone answer this please? :unsure:

JLPedro
26th July 2010, 10:28
I think the drive only needs 5v to work on Low Density mode and the ground goes from the psu to the correspondent ground on the connector of the floppy.
At least thats what i can figure out of the pics... :p (correct me if wrong please).

Zetr0
26th July 2010, 15:07

could someone answer this please? :unsure:

I think the drive only needs 5v to work on Low Density mode and the ground goes from the psu to the correspondent ground on the connector of the floppy.
At least thats what i can figure out of the pics... :p (correct me if wrong please).

Yes the ground from the PSU will be required to be installed to the power socket of the FDD drive as well as the +5volt (otherwise you wont have a circuit and no power)

UNiX
27th July 2010, 08:34
The only thing is that there are 2 grounds on the floppy, so i guess it doesnt matter which one i use. Also, the powersupply only has +5V and -5V so i assume you mean -5V as the ground?

Thanks

rkauer
27th July 2010, 19:47
No.

Use the common ground (black wire) as ground.

UNiX
31st July 2010, 12:00
Sorry i still dont understand... its probably just me :S

The AC adapter has +5V (black cable) and -5V (black cable with a white pin strip).

The floppy drive has 4 cables. In order from left to right, they are:
Yellow (+12V)
Black (Ground)
Black (Ground)
Red (+5V)

What I was asking was which cable goes to which?

Sorry, I'm easily confused, especially when dealing with unknown territory for me.

JLPedro
31st July 2010, 12:38
The AC adapter as +5v and Ground, witch connect to the +5v (Red) on the floppy and on the adjacent Ground (Black next to Red) on the Floppy.

Hope that helps. :)

morcar
31st July 2010, 13:26
If you wanted something different on the normal +2's you could always hack it and fit a top loading or slot cd drive and just put the games on an audio cd. Its what i might be doing soon.

UNiX
1st August 2010, 20:52
The AC adapter as +5v and Ground, witch connect to the +5v (Red) on the floppy and on the adjacent Ground (Black next to Red) on the Floppy.

Hope that helps. :)
Ahh thanks, cant wait to try this out now

ElectroBlaster
2nd August 2010, 21:24
I love stuff like this and I joined the forum because of this thread!

Recently I saved my wife's mobile phone from the bin. Her charger split the connector lead. After hunting around a few charity shops for a mobile phone charger to replace her busted one I ended up with 4 of them with power ratings of around 4.5v to 5v so the left over ones will be great for this disk drive mod. Ive always wanted a 3 1/2 drive on my +3 but the thought of hacking things about kinda put me off.
Now I can easily find an external drive case in my storage and cobble one together :)

JLPedro
3rd August 2010, 20:25
Just made myself one of these using a Samsung 321B, only need to finish the external casing and external power supply :D.
Tested on my CPC6128 and works flawlessly writing disks with CPCdiskXP (http://www.cpcmania.com/), on the +3 only able to use side A, I'm using SAMdisk (http://simonowen.com/samdisk/) to write +3 .dsk files using --fix command, i can write both files using both Head 0 and 1 but the Speccy +3 doesn't read the file write with Head 1.

Does anyone knows a better way to write +3 floppy images? :help:

When finished will post some fotos :thumbsup:.

Thanks Jasey!!!

UNiX
6th August 2010, 10:46
Just made myself one of these using a Samsung 321B, only need to finish the external casing and external power supply :D.
Tested on my CPC6128 and works flawlessly writing disks with CPCdiskXP (http://www.cpcmania.com/), on the +3 only able to use side A, I'm using SAMdisk (http://simonowen.com/samdisk/) to write +3 .dsk files using --fix command, i can write both files using both Head 0 and 1 but the Speccy +3 doesn't read the file write with Head 1.

<b>Does anyone knows a better way to write +3 floppy images? :help:<b/>

Thanks Jasey!!!

Thats what I'm looking for too...
Also, does anyone know where to buy premade enclosures?

ElectroBlaster
19th July 2011, 18:58
I managed to pick up the exact same floppy drive like the one in the o/p's guide. But I need to clarify a few small things.

1. What pins do the 3 wires go to on the toggle switches? Finding it hard to see them on the pictures properly...

2. Do you have to use the switches or could I just stick to side 1 only? Somebody else stated +3 disk images didnt work right on side b?

3. Putting a jumper wire on HD detect switch, the circuit board holding this is upside down and only one layer. I assume the whole metal plate and motor has to come off so I can get to it?

Hopefully you guys will know what im babbling on about :)
Thanx.

Chinners
9th August 2011, 16:30
I managed to pick up the exact same floppy drive like the one in the o/p's guide. But I need to clarify a few small things.

1. What pins do the 3 wires go to on the toggle switches? Finding it hard to see them on the pictures properly...

2. Do you have to use the switches or could I just stick to side 1 only? Somebody else stated +3 disk images didnt work right on side b?

3. Putting a jumper wire on HD detect switch, the circuit board holding this is upside down and only one layer. I assume the whole metal plate and motor has to come off so I can get to it?

Hopefully you guys will know what im babbling on about :)
Thanx.

On switch 1, "Ground" goes to centre, "Drive Select" goes to either side - it doesn't really matter

On switch 2, "Ground" also goes to centre, "Head Select" goes to either side - it doesn't really matter

The switches are not necessary, but games don't usually work from Drive B. Without the switches, the drive will (probably) just override drive A:

Again, if you don't fancy doing the HD trick, you can either use DSDD floppys, or put a bit of tape over the HD hole in the floppy.

---------- Post added at 16:30 ---------- Previous post was at 16:23 ----------

<b>Does anyone knows a better way to write +3 floppy images? :help:<b/>

Thanks Jasey!!!

Thats what I'm looking for too...
Also, does anyone know where to buy premade enclosures?

cpcdiskxp from http://www.cpcmania.com/ is my writer of choice. It works in Win7/64 bit too, which is nice.

The premade enclosure was one from a broken external amiga drive... ebay is a nice, but expensive place to get one. Maybe ask in the "wanted" section here for something a bit cheaper? (like whut I did)

wmsteele
15th September 2011, 23:54
I'm such an idiot! Ive just released that all odd pins on the floppy connector are ground... spent ages trying to figure out what pin 21 was wired to :D I'm guessing this is just the ground connection for pins 12 & 32.

Just ordered my first soldering iron to try this out on my +3... cant wait.

wmsteele
2nd October 2011, 00:20
Its Alive!

Learning to solder was not as straight forward as I had first thought, although fairly pleased with the results...

17593 17592

17594 17595

Just needs a quick pant job and it will be perfect :D

Using the switches I can select the external drive as drive A (the internal drive is then ignored), this boots disks written using Samdisk on your PC. The second switch can be used to select the disk side (1 or 2 / head 0 or 1) again Samdisk can be used to write to both sides (use the --flip command for side 2). This works really well for games that use both sides of a disk, when the change side message is displayed all you need to do is flick a switch. Also works well for single sided games as you can have a different game on each side.

Zetr0
2nd October 2011, 00:43
@wmsteele

Awesome - thanks for sharing!

woodycool
2nd October 2011, 11:29
If you ever consider selling one of these (or making them for peeps) please let me know! :)
Seconded :)

TheCorfiot
2nd October 2011, 12:11
mmmm

Can't get this to work with an old Mitsumi 1.44 drive I have here.

Keeps telling me Drive is not ready & neither floppy drive responds...

Boot up screen tells me I have B: drive though...

Think I need to find another Floppy Drive to try it out...

TC :cool:

wmsteele
2nd October 2011, 14:21
It could be the cable your using, it needs to have only the two connectors on it. The one I'm using was made by cutting an old floppy cable that had enough connections for 4 disk drives.

3.5 connector --> 3.5 connector (remove) --> 5.25 connector --> (cut) cable twist --> 3.5 connector --> 5.25 connector.

This needs cut just before the cable twist and then remove the middle 3.5 connector.

Before cutting the cable I gave it a go as is and noticed that the plus 3 reported drive B was available but wouldn't respond properly. If both internal and external drives are non responsive it must be the cable.

TheCorfiot
2nd October 2011, 16:48
Cheers for the tip...

I have already made a pin 1 - pin1 34 way cable with no twists...

Pin 1 on the +3 is from the RHS if looking from the front of the Speccy...

I have an older floppy I will try soon.

TheCorfiot
2nd October 2011, 18:44
Bloody Ext Floppy Pinout is numbered wrong way round in the manual :Doh:
Flipped the cable over and all is now working perfectly..

SamDisk is well cool & very fast too...

Thanks for the tut Jasey

bobsmith2012
4th October 2011, 05:20
Does anyone know what type of connector to get for the Amstrad/Spectrum end if you don't have any 5.25 floppy cables lying around ?

Would this work ?

http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kobiconn/164-0834-E/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMutB6RuyXJB1NbKoTYpZpybzxLIBKvFpOE%3d

Chinners
4th October 2011, 09:41
Does anyone know what type of connector to get for the Amstrad/Spectrum end if you don't have any 5.25 floppy cables lying around ?

Would this work ?

http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kobiconn/164-0834-E/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMutB6RuyXJB1NbKoTYpZpybzxLIBKvFpOE%3d

It looks like it, but you would need to connect it to the floppy cable yourself, which can be quite tricky, as it needs a fair bit of pressure. I find using a small g-clamp a good make-shift alternative, and slowly work from left to right, squeezing the back and attaching the wire.

As a side-note, I do have one I was going to put on the other bay, but decided against it due to the interest here. I will try get it listed when I can decide on a price, and get time but basically it is a cream metal case (7/10 condition) with a new (when installed) black facia drive, 2 switches and a nokia charger as psu. It works fine, but as my 6128 has an internal 3.5" drive, and my +3 collection has been reduced to 0, I don't really have a need for it. It was made "for me" so isn't as tidy as the first one I made.

bobsmith2012
4th October 2011, 11:22
Going to get some and give it a try then, have a couple of old floppy cases with dead drives that I'm planning to do this with and just got a cheap crimping tool from the other bay plus some round 34 core wire.

morcar
4th October 2011, 16:20
that looks awesome....if no one wants this amstrad pcw i am selling i might take a look at the floppy drive it has and use that for the +3. Will have to get another internal floppy though as the one i have in my main pc dont work at the moment its constantly on.

Chinners
4th October 2011, 16:22
Will have to get another internal floppy though as the one i have in my main pc dont work at the moment its constantly on.
Is your cable plugged in upside down? That's exactly the symptoms of putting it in the wrong way.

:blink:

morcar
4th October 2011, 21:42
either way it happens i think the drive is busted

Chinners
5th October 2011, 09:53
I have just remembered one small enhancement I have made to the design, which helps CP/M on the Amstrad recognise disk changes.

Pins 33 & 34 are shorted with a blob of solder to fake the "ready" signal. CP/M needs this ready signal to be broken then made again to recognise a disk change. A simple solution is to connect them with a "push-to-break" button instead of the solder blob, then Bob's your Uncle, CPM is happy again by pushing a button. This may also help with some multi-disk games (not that I can think of any :)

CrazyHare
12th April 2012, 09:33
Cool bit of fabrication with the case, well done!.

Beaps
22nd June 2012, 16:49
Here is my attempt, done all this work only to find out I need to use a floppy disk drive in a PC (not the usb one I got for my laptop) to create readable disks in the +3 & Amstrad :mad:

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/6765/img1400s.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/600/img1400s.jpg/)

TheCorfiot
22nd June 2012, 18:49
Excellent job though mate, told you you could do it :thumbsup:

Fantastic ;)

Beaps
23rd June 2012, 13:23
Thanks mate, gonna pop around me mums (she's got an old PC with XP) and try & write some floppys

Zzapmort
3rd August 2012, 08:36
HI Heres my emperors new clothes version , usual switches on the back for disk side or drive a/b . Next attempt will be in a nice case when I can find one :thumbsup:

Thanks Chinners it works a treat :thumbsup:

ps the dangling sd card reader is attached to Zetros 8bit ide adaptor which also works a treat :-)

pstrinic
8th September 2012, 16:54
Is there a concise diagram showing which cable pins need to be crossed for what? I managed to get my external drive working as drive B, but not A, thus far. Thanks!

Zzapmort
13th September 2012, 11:03
Hi Morcar,
Drive select a/b is pin 12 on the floppy connector to ground on pin 13 directly below, all the odd pins are grounds. Is shown on the 1st page but ground was not obvious to begin with on the description.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

zzarko
18th April 2013, 13:29
Sorry to post to old thread, but I was unable to solve something... I have successfully built 3.5" enclosure for CPC 6128, and I wanted to do the same for ZX Spectrum +2A, because I have read here that it can be done (can it?). I have a machine that looks like the one on this picture (not mine):

http://www.nightfallcrew.com/wp-content/gallery/zx-spectrum-2a/img_2357.jpg

Since it doesn't have a floppy connector as +3, where should I connect floppy cable? Has anyone successfully have connected 3.5 floppy to +2A/B? If yes, could you please tell me how (with pictures, pretty please)?

zzarko
19th April 2013, 23:16
Did anyone successfully connected 3.5" floppy to ZX +2A? If yes, how did you do it?

Chinners
20th April 2013, 10:13
No, the hack in this thread requires the hardware inside the +3 to use the floppy drive. The +2a does not have the floppy controller hardware built in.

There are other options for the +2a, such as Zetr0's IDE Adapter. This relies on a compact flash card for storage.

zzarko
20th April 2013, 14:13
No, the hack in this thread requires the hardware inside the +3 to use the floppy drive. The +2a does not have the floppy controller hardware built in.

There are other options for the +2a, such as Zetr0's IDE Adapter. This relies on a compact flash card for storage.Thank you for the answer! I thought it was something like that, but I wasn't sure.

zzarko
13th June 2013, 07:49
Here is mu take on CPC 6128 external floppy. I didn't want to use flat cable, so I found a round one. I soldered both connectors to it (floppy and centronics). Enclosure is old 3.5" USB RACK that powers itself through 12V and has 12V and 5V internally. I made female 12V connector, so that floppy could be connected to CPC monitor's 12V output, and made a cable that connects this 12V back to CPC, so I don't have to use another power supply (although I have one, just in case). On the top there are ABBA switches with labels and blue LED to indicate power on. I had trouble removing black eject button from another floppy (didn't want to break it), so I left biege one here.

Sorry for bad picture...

ramparts
15th December 2013, 13:17
Cheers for the tip...

I have already made a pin 1 - pin1 34 way cable with no twists...

Pin 1 on the +3 is from the RHS if looking from the front of the Speccy...

I have an older floppy I will try soon.

What is RHS?

What is pin 1 on back of zx spectrum +3 the one faced the rf output or to the other side ?

:oops:

Glenn-S
16th December 2013, 16:23
What is RHS?

Right Hand Side. :)

Macc
16th December 2013, 21:06
Did anyone successfully connected 3.5" floppy to ZX +2A? If yes, how did you do it?

Well its been done but its a bit involved! (http://www.worldofspectrum.org/BackToThePlus3/)

Glenn-S
16th December 2013, 22:04

Well its been done but its a bit involved! (http://www.worldofspectrum.org/BackToThePlus3/)

I've done it, but it was a disaster as I couldn't get the Spectrum to see most of the drives I tried, until I connected the one from my Atari STE! I ended up loading a couple of programs to try it, powering the disc drive from the ST (yes really!) then put everything back the way it should be and left it at that. That was 3 years ago. I really must get back to it and build a working solution.

http://www.vee6ix.co.uk/xz1fx.jpg

Edit: Doh! Was thinking about my +3 antics.. Must get some sleep then re-engage brain..

zzarko
16th December 2013, 22:14
Well its been done but its a bit involved! (http://www.worldofspectrum.org/BackToThePlus3/)Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, too much for my soldering skills...

ramparts
17th December 2013, 08:00
Thank you for the info i am getting a little cold ,to do this on my zx spec +3 since they are going kind of hard to get if you know what i mean .

:wooha:

Allen1
17th December 2013, 09:50
Miles Gordon Technology used to make external 3 1/2 inch drives for the +3 which has a power supply built into the case so all you had to do was plug it into the mains and connect the ribbon cable to the +3 and switch it on. I own one and the +3 would only recognise that there was a drive attached if you put a disk into the drive and then switch on the +3. I spent a long time making games run from that drive but I lost a few disks along the way due to the way the +3 needed a disk in the drive at startup to sense there was another drive present.

Chinners method of keeping the drive recognised would have saved a lot of disks from getting corrupted and I am tempted to try his method myself when I get some time.

For all the other Spectrums including the +3 and +2 there is the PLUS D interface and drive, this would take a snapshot of the game you loaded and save it to disk ready to play again when you wanted. It has been a long time since I used my PLUS D but its something I will probably get back to at some stage.

The +3 was my first Spectrum and I had loads of fun with it, many hours spent typing in code from magazines and then saving and running the code or programs, it was amazing what you could do with it but along came the Amiga and the Spectrum got put aside for a while.

Akira
23rd January 2014, 23:56
Will ANY HD PC drive work on a CPC 6128 using this method? I read you needed a DD Drive, not HD. But there's a lot of Sony-MPF920 on eBay I can nab if this works with HD drives.

I also have two spare Amiga floppy drives, but I assume these won't work. Am I right?

Im planning to connect it internally, I suppose same method works. Also that I can remove the internal 3" drive without problems using this method.
Wasn't the +12V header backwards inside, therefore I have to invert it?

What about tehse floppy emulators? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5-1-44MB-USB-SSD-FLOPPY-DRIVE-EMULATOR-E100-0-Black-color-3-digits-Version-/231004353057

zzarko
24th January 2014, 04:49
I used Sony MFP920-E in my external drive. I just prepared it like it was for Amiga (http://www.pitsch.de/stuff/amiga/floppy.htm), so I guess Amiga's internal drive will do.

Akira
24th January 2014, 10:18
But it seems in this post none of the modifications applied in the link you give are made, just some buttons added. No cut traces, no resistor swapping, nothing.

zzarko
24th January 2014, 10:33
But it seems in this post none of the modifications applied in the link you give are made, just some buttons added. No cut traces, no resistor swapping, nothing.Well, then just don't do additional steps. I have several Sony drives already converted for Amiga use, and I just used one of those. You can probably use non-converted one without problems (maybe try conversion steps later if it doesn't work).

Bryce
24th January 2014, 10:35
Will ANY HD PC drive work on a CPC 6128 using this method? I read you needed a DD Drive, not HD. But there's a lot of Sony-MPF920 on eBay I can nab if this works with HD drives.

I also have two spare Amiga floppy drives, but I assume these won't work. Am I right?

Im planning to connect it internally, I suppose same method works. Also that I can remove the internal 3" drive without problems using this method.
Wasn't the +12V header backwards inside, therefore I have to invert it?

What about tehse floppy emulators? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5-1-44MB-USB-SSD-FLOPPY-DRIVE-EMULATOR-E100-0-Black-color-3-digits-Version-/231004353057

Any PC Floppy drive will work, but some ar easier to modify (Ready signal etc) than others. The MPF920 is one of the more difficult ones to modify.

Regarding internal installation: Yes, the power connector on the CPC has 5V and 12V swapped, you'll need to swap these or you'll fry the drive. The CPC also uses a 26way header for the 3in drive, so you'll need to make one of these adapters too: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/DIY:Floppy_Drives#Adaptor_Cable_for_Internal_Floppies_.2F_HxC_emulator

Bryce.

Akira
24th January 2014, 10:41
Any PC Floppy drive will work, but some ar easier to modify (Ready signal etc) than others. The MPF920 is one of the more difficult ones to modify.

Thanks for your info Bryce!
What about a drive taken out of an Amiga?
I have one I took from an external drive and although a bit noisy it works fine.
Would it work straight away with no modifications?

protek
24th January 2014, 10:47
Amiga drives have the DC/RY signals and id set the same way as they are in Amiga so it should work as A: drive straight up.

Akira
24th January 2014, 10:53
OK I need some floppies now to test this.
But then I'll have to figure out how to transfer a disk to the Amstrad.
The plot thickens :P

roy_bates
24th January 2014, 10:58
you can write the disks on a pc,i think the software is called cpcdiskxp or something similar.
i also think you will also need another piece of software to use this,cant remember what at the mo though.

Akira
24th January 2014, 11:19
you can write the disks on a pc,i think the software is called cpcdiskxp or something similar.
i also think you will also need another piece of software to use this,cant remember what at the mo though.

A piece of software on the Amstrad you mean?
CPCdiskXP looks exactly as what I want. I have a USB floppy drive. Thanks!

roy_bates
24th January 2014, 11:24

A piece of software on the Amstrad you mean?
CPCdiskXP looks exactly as what I want. I have a USB floppy drive. Thanks!

no mate,another piece of software for the pc to control the drive i think.
it will more than likely be discribed in the docs or on the site you download the software from.
i think it was www.cpcmania.com

Akira
24th January 2014, 11:26
Yeah I see that now, a low level floppy driver.
It comes with it :)) Thanks!

[edit] FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
http://www.amibay.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=59534&stc=1&d=1390562868

roy_bates
24th January 2014, 11:26

no probs mate.:)

protek
24th January 2014, 11:50

[edit] FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
http://www.amibay.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=59534&stc=1&d=1390562868

I use an old and dirt cheap laptop that can run XP for writing floppies with CPCDiskXP.

Akira
24th January 2014, 11:57
Yeah I know what you mean but it goes well beyond the money I want to spend on this machine.
I have a Toshiba Libretto but I don't have its floppy drive :/

protek
24th January 2014, 12:03
Yeah I know what you mean but it goes well beyond the money I want to spend on this machine.

Oh laptops can be cheaper than you think. As we cannot discuss prices here I just say that it would've been more expensive to buy a pint of good import lager than what I paid for my Compaq Armada.

Akira
24th January 2014, 12:10

Oh laptops can be cheaper than you think. As we cannot discuss prices here I just say that it would've been more expensive to buy a pint of good import lager than what I paid for my Compaq Armada.
I thought you couldn't discuss prices on sale threads. This is a rather silly "rule".

Anyway, I have enough junk as it is, I'm very mindful of space at home and I don't want another laptop PC just to transfer disks to a CPC once and never use it again. I Already have the Libretto quite forgotten :/ But it's so small I tuck it away in a drawer and it doesn't bother me.

Bryce
24th January 2014, 12:11
Download a DSK image, load it into ManageDSK (you'll find this online too) and write it to a 3.5in disk on your PC (won't work with USB connected floppy drives).

Bryce.

protek
24th January 2014, 12:56
There is an utility for Amstrad that enables you to read DSK image from DOS formatted floppy in Amstrad and write the image on 3" floppy. I've been using that successfully. It's called WriteDSK: http://www.julien-nevo.com/arkos/

That way you can use your USB floppy in PC as you simply copy the .dsk file on it. Only limitation is that the floppy must be formatted to 720 kB.

Akira
24th January 2014, 13:11
But I'll need that "first disk" with this app on it. Also I will remove the 3" drive and won't have a second one.

It's OK, Roy bates has offered to copy me the Batman demo!

protek
24th January 2014, 13:17
But I'll need that "first disk" with this app on it. Also I will remove the 3" drive and won't have a second one.

It's OK, Roy bates has offered to copy me the Batman demo!

Can't remember from heart but you may suffice with a single 3,5" drive with WriteDSK. You just need to do some disk swapping.

That demo is definitely worth a bit of trouble. :thumbsup:

Bryce
24th January 2014, 13:56
ManageDSK that I mentioned is a windows program, you don't need any CPC or CPC disks to create a CPC 3.5in disk with it. Just a PC with a parallel floppy drive (ie: connected to a real floppy controller not USB) and a DSK image file from the net. In fact it will create new disks from a collection of files on you HDD too.

Bryce.

lukezab
5th February 2014, 20:23
Hi All...

Can i help me?

i have a floppy Nec FD1231H, i read this:
Join PIN1 on the flat cable connector with test point 15 (TP15), located under the black sticker.

Break the connection between PIN1 and the small chip nearby.

If you see the photo can confirm me for PIN1 to small chip?

Thanks

baz67
22nd September 2014, 00:30
Mega impressive, Chinners.
I'm looking to add a 3.5" floppy as a slave to my Oric 3" master disk unit (they resemble the Amstrad CPC external DD1 drive units - you know, those Hitachi jobs).
Have had a wee tinker with an old PC floppy drive cable connected to an unmodified Mitsumi ex PC FDD, so far, but got nothing at all from the Oric... methinks I need to study your instructions in more detail and then... who knows?!
Are you at all familiar with the Oric Microdisc? I just wondered if you or your fellow 'magicians' on here might be able to assist a similar project then on the old Speccy's rival?
Cheers guys for reading - a great place for old retro hacks to meet.
Baz