PDA

View Full Version : Which A1200 motherboards don't need an ACA fix?

everblue
6th January 2014, 09:46
I was wondering, which A1200 motherboards don't need a timing fix to work correctly with ACA accelerators?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

roy_bates
6th January 2014, 09:50
ones that work:lol:

sorry,im joking.but basicly thats what it comes down to.
if they work you dont need it:)

ptyerman
6th January 2014, 09:51
I think the general consensus is without trying it there is no way of knowing for sure. Even some same revisions of motherboard work without fixes while others don't.

I was wondering, which A1200 motherboards don't need a timing fix to work correctly with ACA accelerators?

demolition
6th January 2014, 09:51

The ones that work do not need fixes. :)
Can't be said more accurately than that..

Deling
6th January 2014, 10:00

hi everyblue !! I had the same question :) ,
then I tested this problem yourself :) I bought 2x mobo rev 1D1 with original commodore timing fix and both mobo work very well witch ACA 1232 33
so I recommend for U 1D1 is the best revision for ACA

roy_bates
6th January 2014, 10:01
a bit more..

years ago in the days of 040 and 060 cards it used to be 1.D.4 and 2.B's that needed timing fixes and even then it was random.
now its,condition of the board and and what commodore happen to put in the case plus other factors etc.you cant go by the id anymore for a rough guide.
yes still random.
if it works dont do it,if it dont work do etc.

demolition
6th January 2014, 10:04
then I tested this problem yourself :) I bought 2x mobo rev 1D1 with original commodore timing fix and both mobo work very well witch ACA 1232 33

Just because you got lucky with some 1D1s that doesn't mean everybody else will. Some 1D1s will need the fixes.

Deling
6th January 2014, 10:07

Just because you got lucky with some 1D1s that doesn't mean everybody else will. Some 1D1s will need the fixes.

may be u have right maybe not , but for me 1D1 is the best rev

fitzsteve
6th January 2014, 10:08
For ACA's I've had the best success with 1D4 so as you can see it's pot luck!

And don't assume just because it boots up and seems to work all is ok, you can get all sorts of funny issues, one 1D1 board I had here appeared to work flawlessly but if you attached a FastATA to it it would crash loading the FastATA driver if the ACA was installed!

demolition
6th January 2014, 10:14

For me, my 2D board worked flawlessly without modifications while my 1D4 was very unstable with the ACA, so if I extrapolate from that, 2Ds are best. I think the conclusion from this thread is that 1D1, 1D4 and 2D are best. :)

roy_bates
6th January 2014, 10:18
has anyone tried 1.A and 1.B's

i havent had any problems with these.just for comparison's sake.

fitzsteve
6th January 2014, 10:25

I think the 1A's are pretty rare, I've only seen one of those and never a 1B!

Good luck finding one of those to test on an ACA :D

As you say Demolition, all the boards seem to be the best for ACA so rest assured any board you get it will defiantly work 100% fact :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Or maybe not :coffee: :whistle:

everblue
6th January 2014, 10:30
Woah I look away for 5 minutes and there are two pages of replies :thumbsup:

cevoner
6th January 2014, 14:13

And don't assume just because it boots up and seems to work all is ok, you can get all sorts of funny issues, one 1D1 board I had here appeared to work flawlessly but if you attached a FastATA to it it would crash loading the FastATA driver if the ACA was installed!

I have ID 4 board with the newest ACA232 40 with MMU. Boots no problem but again some PCMCIA issues. Cannot load Compactdisk.device or freeze. I have a flash card with 1 GB in there. Also can't get online with a Oronco or 3com card. Card seems fine, no freeze just does not work. Subway works as usual in the clockport.
And it claims 100% PCMCIA compatible.

Deling
6th January 2014, 14:22

I have ID 4 board with the newest ACA232 40 with MMU. Boots no problem but again some PCMCIA issues. Cannot load Compactdisk.device or freeze. I have a flash card with 1 GB in there. Also can't get online with a Oronco or 3com card. Card seems fine, no freeze just does not work. Subway works as usual in the clockport.
And it claims 100% PCMCIA compatible.

which rom do U have ?

fitzsteve
6th January 2014, 15:48
@cevoner

Have you tried the ACATune command -pcmciareset ?

demolition
6th January 2014, 15:54

Obviously I can't answer for him, but I haven't been able to make that function work at all in acatune. With my LAN adapter I can see on the LED when it gets reset and it doesn't happen with acatune -pcmciareset. If I use another tool for sending the PCMCIA reset signal, it is being reset as it should.

liviux76
6th January 2014, 16:09

Obviously I can't answer for him, but I haven't been able to make that function work at all in acatune. With my LAN adapter I can see on the LED when it gets reset and it doesn't happen with acatune -pcmciareset. If I use another tool for sending the PCMCIA reset signal, it is being reset as it should.

A bit OT but...
Which tool/command do you use to send the PCMCIA reset signal?
Thanks!

demolition
6th January 2014, 16:18
I use this one:
http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/CardReset

liviux76
6th January 2014, 16:26
I use this one:

Thanks, I already tried it but it doesn't help me for my Whdload-AmiTCP issues...
Thanks anyway! :thumbsup:

Starteck2002
6th January 2014, 16:45
Wish i'd not seen this thread :-( I've just ordered an ACA 020 card from amigakit ('being picked' since December 30th). I'm new to Amiga's so hoping all will be ok. If there is a timing issue, how do you know and also any instructions you can recommend for a self fix? Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread but it does seem relevant to me too.

demolition
6th January 2014, 16:48
If it won't boot or crashes randomly then you probably have timing issues that needs fixing. But it is likely that you won't have any issues, so try it out and if you have problems we can take it from there. :)

cevoner
6th January 2014, 20:21
@cevoner

Yes, still trying. Jens think its software or PCMCA hardware problem. I'm going to try a 1230 blizzard next week, see if there is a change.

Deling
6th January 2014, 20:24
which rom have your Amiga ? 3.0 or 3.1 with 3.1 i had problem with pcmcia !
with 3.0 work ok

cevoner
6th January 2014, 20:27
I use this one:

I've used that, so your network card works after that. Which PCMCIA card do you have?

---------- Post added at 14:27 ---------- Previous post was at 14:24 ----------

with 3.0 work ok

I have 3.1, so I have to downgrade? A new accelerator yet. Maybe I can boot the old rom via a reboot with a file? Like to know if that is the solution.

Deling
6th January 2014, 20:35
I use this one:

I've used that, so your network card works after that. Which PCMCIA card do you have?

---------- Post added at 14:27 ---------- Previous post was at 14:24 ----------

with 3.0 work ok

I have 3.1, so I have to downgrade? A new accelerator yet. Maybe I can boot the old rom via a reboot with a file? Like to know if that is the solution.

if you have 3.0 try with 3.0 :)

demolition
6th January 2014, 21:35
I use this one:

The network adapter is a 3C589C and it works fine with KS3.1.
It should also work without the PCMCIA reset fix or the software reset solution until you do a warm reboot (CTRL-A-A). Insert the network card before you turn on the Amiga.

Deling
6th January 2014, 21:52
I use this one:

The network adapter is a 3C589C and it works fine with KS3.1.
It should also work without the PCMCIA reset fix or the software reset solution until you do a warm reboot (CTRL-A-A). Insert the network card before you turn on the Amiga.

3C589C with ACA and rom 3.1 mobo 1d1 in my system work bad
with rom 3.0 work great

cevoner
6th January 2014, 23:06
Don't have 3.0. Like to try it. Is it possible to boot roms with a file? Years go had a hardware rom switcher. Demolition has 3.1, I also have the 3com. Does Demolition have 1d4 MB? Thanks for your inputs.

Deling
6th January 2014, 23:15
Don't have 3.0. Like to try it. Is it possible to boot roms with a file? Years go had a hardware rom switcher. Demolition has 3.1, I also have the 3com. Does Demolition have 1d4 MB? Thanks for your inputs.

if you have aca you can try maprom with 3.0 kick file

demolition
6th January 2014, 23:21
I have both a 1D4 and a 2D and the 3C589C works fine with 3.1 in both with an ACA1232.

roy_bates
6th January 2014, 23:25
I have both a 1D4 and a 2D and the 3C589C works fine with 3.1 in both with an ACA1232.

sorry mate,whats a 2D?

BLTCON0
6th January 2014, 23:41
He obviously means 2B :)

roy_bates
6th January 2014, 23:46

ah yes:)

demolition
7th January 2014, 00:00
Yep, minor typo. :)

cevoner
7th January 2014, 00:13
Thanks, then I have same. & you just add Cardreset in startup? 1D, 3com is what I have. Thanks

demolition
7th January 2014, 00:15
Just do the reset before the card is being used/mounted, so relatively early in SS.

cevoner
7th January 2014, 00:28
Thanks Demolition, good advice.

baderman
7th January 2014, 08:24
If this would help to anyone:
I've got two A1200 and made some tests:
1.D3 + Apollo 1240@40 - ok
1.D3 + Apollo 1260@50 - ok
1.D3 + MTec 1230@42 - ok
1.B + Apollo 1260@50 - ok (but without ram, with ram - there were probably problems with too weak PSU - system endend up on black screen)
1.B + MTec 1230@42 - ok

And ok means - stable :) No random crashes. Of course, with proper libraries installed.

roy_bates
7th January 2014, 08:47
1.B + Apollo 1260@50 - ok (but without ram, with ram - there were probably problems with too weak PSU - system endend up on black screen)

define "ok" with this.

a card without ram and black screen with ram isent stable.also a card without fastram is useless.
the test would be a fail.

coltch
7th January 2014, 09:06
My 1D4 (AT 3.1) kept crashing with the ACA1231, the 1D1 (C= 3.0) runs perfectly stable with the same ACA card - this obvoiusly could just be pot luck :)

baderman
7th January 2014, 10:23
Black screen was with ram. Without ram - system booted, and cpu was seen as 060. And it's true, card without ram is rather useless. I hope it's all clear now.

ps. If I'll find better PSU and some time, I'll try to boot it with ram (2x32 sticks).

define "ok" with this.

a card without ram and black screen with ram isent stable.also a card without fastram is useless.
the test would be a fail.

cevoner
13th May 2014, 02:05
I use Cardreset also. I have got the 2 PCMCIA network cards working with genesis but still no go with Miami or Roadshow. Those 2 with same the same setting cannot connect to my router. The freeze with compactflash.device is still there with an ACA232 or Blizzard 1260 attached. I use the 3.1 rom and have 2 1D.4 MBs now (NTSC and PAL). The PAL board I did all the fixes to the board. It has 3.0 but I use the ACATune command to boot into 3.1. The NTSC has some missing capacitors on the other side while the Pal has some added so both boards are different. I tried everything with Roadshow. Here is the NTSC board.69189

voyager_1701e
13th May 2014, 04:34

I think the 1A's are pretty rare, I've only seen one of those and never a 1B!

Good luck finding one of those to test on an ACA :D

As you say Demolition, all the boards seem to be the best for ACA so rest assured any board you get it will defiantly work 100% fact :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Or maybe not :coffee: :whistle:

Hi Steve
I was looking over this thread earlier today....noted your comments really the 1b....later I opened a mail box I got this morning and I got a 1200 rev. 1b!:D

Mikeata
19th May 2014, 13:00

I think the 1A's are pretty rare
No problems here with rev. 1A and ACA 1232/25.

Justin
19th May 2014, 13:04
sorry for the OT, are 1Bs unusual?

BLTCON0
19th May 2014, 22:01
sorry for the OT, are 1Bs unusual?

I don't think of them as unusual, just not around in huge numbers as they were probably soon replaced by the 2B. Then the 1D series took over, those seem to be the ones most in plentiful (esp 1D.1's and 1D.4's, the latter being the one also re-manufactured by Escom).
The 1C should be the absolute rarest.

Justin
21st May 2014, 10:21
coolio, thanks for the answer :)

roy_bates
21st May 2014, 10:28
i would of thought the 2B was after the 1D series.

and 1A was the first etc.

BLTCON0
21st May 2014, 18:03
Schematics of rev2 precede the 1D ones (19 Apr 1992 vs 10 Oct 1992), plus there's no "oops" section in the rev2 schematics. Naturally the board which could be configured for either the new (bug-free and never released) or the old (until the new one became available) version of Gayle (the 1D that is) would be the later one.