Not open for further replies.

ReplayRetro

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Country
England
Region
West Yorkshire
hey guys, i've been looking for ways to make my Atari 5200 work on a UK tv since i got it a few years ago and had no luck, even tried using a PSX to read the signal but all those japanese settings have too many possible combinations for me to ever suss it out, so with that in mind does anyone on here know how to Mod the 5200 so i can finally use it on my TV? the most i've ever been able to do is get either picture or sound on one of my sets but none of them tune properly to whatever frequency it uses
thanks in advance

The easiest solution is to convert it to Composite and add an Audio out socket. That way you can connect it to any TV with SCART. If you can solder a few wires and add a socket or two, you can do this yourself. Of course you'll need to swap the crystal and the GTIA too if your TV only does PAL as far as I know (assuming it's a Japanese device you have).

Bryce.

Last edited:
the 5200 is american. my soldering skills aren't terrible but certainly aren't up to the level where i feel confident doing this job without ruining the machine

Give TheCorfiot a PM his arm has a soldering iron built in :D

I will sort that out for you my friend...
Just bear with me as I am up to my eyes at the moment.

TC ;)

PS, thanks for the recomendation chaps.:)

wow some quick responses thanks guys!

Yeah that'd be great TheCorfiot just drop me a message when you have a moment, thanks

Your welcome my friend
Having checked the schematics of the 5200 i'm pretty sure I can extend the function of my 2600 video encoder module to handle these too.
I'm building a new batch of modules over the weekend so I guess now is a good time as any to find out :LOL:

TC :)

Will your mod convert it to PAL too? Or will it still be an NTSC machine though?

Bryce.

NTSC, it's impossible to change the format to PAL as it's native to the GTiA and ANTIC chips, plus the software carts rely on the 60Hz timing too.

I dont think this is the issue though as most modern TV's or LCD's will quite happily display both NTSC colour and operate at 60Hz...
They would have trouble with RF though as the channel stepping and frequency range is wildly different between UK and US broadcasts...

TC :)

That's what I thought. Although it is possible to convert the machine if you have the correct GTIA and Crystal as far as I know.

Bryce.

Could it be made switchable from NTSC to PAL and back again? This would be the ultimate solution of course.

:D Yeah sure, you just need a 2way 82-pole switch to swap between the two GTIAs, ANTICs and crystals :D

Bryce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom