PDA

View Full Version : Filled Desoldering components from an 8bit ISA card service

keropi
7th March 2014, 13:05
Hiya!

I have a small 8bit ISA card that I want to remove every single component so as to have a bare pcb and a bag of the components:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/restqp/Audio%20stuff/IMG03445-20140305-1521_zpsf88553c7.jpg (http://s125.photobucket.com/user/restqp/media/Audio%20stuff/IMG03445-20140305-1521_zpsf88553c7.jpg.html)

I already removed the card's firmware rom but it's too fragile for my crappy desoldering iron. Ideally I would like someone with a desoldering station to remove everything without destroying either pcb or components :lol:
No other work is needed on the card other than that.

If you can help please reply here , thanks! :thumbsup:

demolition
7th March 2014, 13:17
Stick it in the oven on 250 deg. C, wear some suitable gloves and shake it all off? :)

bebek
7th March 2014, 13:22
Stick it in the oven on 250 deg. C, wear some suitable gloves and shake it all off? :)

So, that is how you got your nickname :)

keropi
7th March 2014, 13:24
:lol:
oven? no... thanks for the suggestion but I am looking for something less destructive :lol:

demolition
7th March 2014, 13:27

So, that is how you got your nickname :)

Actually I've never tried it, but I don't see why it shouldn't work. Maybe I should try it some time. :)
Plastics (e.g. in connectors) on the board might not like it though but the ICs and the PCB should be fine. It's not much different from using a heat gun which will also heat up components and the PCB to at least 250 deg.C.

plazma
7th March 2014, 13:34
Even the plastic connectors should tolerate few reflows. Yesterday I used hot air to remove components from a C64 cartridge.

roy_bates
7th March 2014, 13:52
i would do it for you,but,shipping it back and forth might be a problem.

Bryce
7th March 2014, 14:02
Oven won't work. Although the melting point of most industrial solder is around 230C, getting an oven to heat something to that level fast enough is almost impossible. You'd destroy most of the components.

Just out of interest: Why?? There's nothing on that board that you couldn't still cheaply source and the PCB is only useful for building the exact same board again?

Bryce.

keropi
7th March 2014, 14:29
@roy_bates

sending a pm... Shipping isn't a problem :)

@Bryce:
the card is dead atm but like you said everything can be sourced. I need a neat pcb after desoldering to try and duplicate it (remember the libs you uploaded and my questions on designing pcbs?) and ofcourse to try and revive the card with the replacement components.... it's a side-project that I am thinking of starting

Bryce
7th March 2014, 14:31
It's probably easier to sacrifice the parts then, to make sure the PCB survives without lifting tracks or destroying pads.

Bryce.

TheCorfiot
7th March 2014, 14:55
I'm happy to do that for you too my friend..

TC ;)

keropi
7th March 2014, 19:52
I'm gonna send the card to TC at some point so this is now a filled req! thanks Bas!