Not open for further replies.

JonnyPencils

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Country
England
Region
Gloucestershire
New here so hope I'm doing this correctly :)

Can anybody offer a brand new Commodore 64 (UK Breadbin Model) PSU build ? I know it's doable but I've never been comfortable with soldering (i.e. I suck at it)

due to the stories of ageing c64 psu's killing c64's i would also like to see a modern psu replacement, i have the cheese wedge psu and dont want to really use it.

ill be reading this thread :)

Absolutely - I have a used PSU coming in the post but I'm a bit scared to use it. If nobody can offer the service I'm going to bite the bullet and have a go myself. Would much prefer somebody else do it for me though! :D

there is a thread over at eab looking for interest in new ones,maybe you should go over there and state your interest.

TC and I have been discussing this issue for near on a year now. It can certainly be done but the real issue is making is cost viable and the deciding factor is ultimately going to be "what are people willing to pay" as it is almost certainly going to be expensive.

The thread Roy put me on to is quoting around the $19 mark! Sounds very reasonable. I'll keep this thread updated with any info from EAB.

$19 is ridiculously good assuming the quality is ok. What are the ampage ratings?

$19 is ridiculously good assuming the quality is ok. What are the ampage ratings?

specs are 110/220v ac input and outputs 9v AC (1amp) and 5v DC (2 amp)

The price seems to be dependent on a 'group buy' so I assume there is a minimum order involved, but it does sound hopeful.

5V 2A DC- buy charger for PDA from ebay - cheap like chips,
9V 1A AC - another PSU from ebay (the one from nintendo should be fine) - cheap like chips
use cable from old PSU, stick everything in one case (you can use plactic case from original PSU if you have it - connect everything as it should be and your overall cost is £5-£7 (including postage :D).

I think the important thing is safety so I'm not a fan of encouraging diy jobs as PSU's are not really something you should :censored: about with.

Are the new psu's going to be CE certificated (genuinely) or are we looking at some dodgy chinese psu. I recently bougt some cheap psu's and paid the price when they blew after only a few seconds.

There was some discussion a while ago about making a psu which could cover C64 and C128 allowing a much higher amp rating as the standard isn't really upto some add ons for the 128 or even for the turbo chameleon on the 64. Whilst I think a super psu might push the price up to high I defo feel the ampage rating would be better to be higher

9V 1A AC - another PSU from ebay (the one from nintendo should be fine) - cheap like chips
use cable from old PSU, stick everything in one case (you can use plactic case from original PSU if you have it - connect everything as it should be and your overall cost is £5-£7 (including postage :D).

This is very true and sensible in my opinion :)

I think the important thing is safety so I'm not a fan of encouraging diy jobs as PSU's are not really something you should :censored: about with.

Are the new psu's going to be CE certificated (genuinely) or are we looking at some dodgy chinese psu. I recently bougt some cheap psu's and paid the price when they blew after only a few seconds.

There was some discussion a while ago about making a psu which could cover C64 and C128 allowing a much higher amp rating as the standard isn't really upto some add ons for the 128 or even for the turbo chameleon on the 64. Whilst I think a super psu might push the price up to high I defo feel the ampage rating would be better to be higher

You right, if you want you can buy better one for even double price and use it - it is still cheap. These PSU's when go wrong will not damage device as most likely they only die .. . And yes, if somebody do not know what they do than better leave it for somebody else.

Last edited:

hte problem there is the old ones are normally full of resin and not that easy to empty.

i would rather use a project box and pay about £5-6 extra in parts plus maybe another £2-3 fo a new cable and din plug.

just go all the way.

hte problem there is the old ones are normally full of resin and not that easy to empty.

i would rather use a project box and pay about £5-6 extra in parts plus maybe another £2-3 fo a new cable and din plug.

just go all the way.

Or just use both in original cases and connect them together to the new plug - much safer to play with and you do not have big box on the floor :)

You could always upgrade your original PSU with trans-orbs (Transient-voltage-suppression diode) or stabilizer on 5V. That should do the trick and keep C64 safe (fairly safe :) ). Personally I never had a problem with C64 PSU and always thought they are like tanks - there will be always first time though ... it is like a french car ...

Last edited:

just go all the way.

Or just use both in original cases and connect them together to the new plug - much safer to play with and you do not have big box on the floor :)

You could always upgrade your original PSU with trans-orbs (Transient-voltage-suppression diode) or stabilizer on 5V. That should do the trick and keep C64 safe (fairly safe :) ). Personally I never had a problem with C64 PSU and always thought they are like tanks - there will be always first time though ... it is like a french car ...

i think you have been lucky up til now.

ive seen the power supplys take out logic,memory,cpu's,vic ii's,pla's,i had one were the bridge rectifier,capacitors and regulators were toast on the ac side.
its pot luck if they go,the worst one's i ever seen was the old black ones,christ that thing made a mess,the 5 volt dc was running 12 volt through the machine when it overheated! worst one i have seen to this date.

So as my skills suck at diy, as the thread title says, is anyone up for making a new C64 PSU ? compact and not to ugly. ?

Over the last few 'eons' (it seems) I have been developing a multi-system power supply station -

It provides the following output

• +5VDC @ 25 amps
  • +9VDC @ 6 amps
  • +10VDC @ 6 amps
  • +12VDC @ 14 amps
  • -12VDC @ 0.3 amps
  • 9VAC @ 2 amps

It provides power for the following typical systems

• Commodore C64/C128 (+5VDC / 9VAC )
  • Spectrum 48k / 128k and 128k +2 (+9VDC )
  • Spectrum 128k +2A/B and +3 (+5VDC / +12VDC / -12VDC )
  • Amstrad CPC 464 / 6128 range (+5VDC / +12VDC )
  • Amiga A500 / A600 and A1200 (+5VDC / +12VDC / -12VDC )
  • Amiga CD32 (+5VDC / +12VDC )
  • Commodore A590 / A570 (+5VDC / +12VDC )
  • GVP A500HD+ / A530 (+5VDC / +12VDC )
  • Sega Master System (+10VDC )
  • Sega Megadrive I/II and III (+10VDC )
  • Sega 32x (+10VDC )
  • Sega CD (+10VDC )

The power station can provides power up to 10 devices at the same time if you wish, I will be receiving my prototypes very VERY soon so more on this in the next week or so with some delicious pictures.

Id pay up to 40-50 USD for a KNOWN tested SAFE-CE new PSU for C64 !
Id probably even get a couple ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom